Textbox Art

I'm wondering there is any way to add a a small tile image of an NPC character to the current textbox 4.1.5. It would be a little extra feature to add to any game of it was possible.

Attachments

• 20190720_081754.jpg
    20190720_081754.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,951

TurtleRescueNES

If you look at the Dummy Duck game in the Byte-Off, he's doing something like that. Though it has to be small as it will eat up space in your HUD tileset.

In Nix, I am using those. Nothing special though, I am using up a TON of space in my background tilesets to fit it all.
For the border, I am using paths tiles.

Edit: Let me clarify-
The image doesn't pop up with the textbox. I go to a separate dialogue screen with the image loaded as the background.
No way that I know of to pop up the portrait in normal gameplay, that would involve making it a sprite (I tried doing it that way initially, all kinds of issues with that) or making it part of the background tileset it would appear and using a similar script to opening boss doors to display/hide it.

acaudel

Hello!
Sorry for the late response! Here's my tutorial for making art in a textbox.

1. First, in the Pixel Editor, open your HUD tiles and choose some tiles that you don't plan to use.
Draw a picture in those tiles. Here I've used 4 tiles near the end.
artintextbox001.png

2. In HUD & Boxes: Define your "USER" tiles to be the ones you drew your picture in.
USER_0 is the first tile, USER_1 is the next tile, etc.
artintextbox002.png

3. In TEXT: Arrange your "USER" tiles together like puzzle pieces in the textbox
Here, I've placed my 4 USER tiles to the left of my other text.
artintextbox003.png

4. Your picture should appear in your text box!
artintextbox004.png

Now, you could use other tiles to make more pictures. But of course, the more tiles you use for pictures, the fewer you have for text. You could make small single tile pictures. I'm sure people will find creative solutions!

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom