How To Extend The Text Box Limit In Version 4.5

Bucket Mouse

There's a tutorial on how to stitch text boxes together so you can leap right from the first to the second, possibly using all four if you have a long-winded NPC. It's located here:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=20423#p20423

But it's for version 4.1. Here's the new version, which uses a similar technique (hijacking one of the unused text box menu items) but with much simpler code (thankfully).

We're going to use Open Shop for this, but you can use any of the menu items you don't need.

Go to Routines > Base 4.5 > Game > Subroutines, and find DoDrawText.asm. Open it up in Notepad and Control-F to find "notEndTrigger". Directly below it, put this:

Code:
;;;;;;;; ADDED MATERIAL

CMP #_ENDSHOP
	BNE notEndShop

LDA npc_text
	CLC
	ADC #$01
	STA npc_text

JMP movehere

notEndShop:

;;;;;;; END OF ADDED MATERIAL

One more touch: we need "movehere" to actually exist, so add it two lines below what you just did, like this:

Code:
		CMP #_MORE
		BNE notMoreText
movehere:

mouse spirit

This is great. I cant wait to really start using 4.5. Especially with everyone making cool stuff for it already. I feel like im late to a party, but i'll get over it!

I haven't checked my text stuff for a while, because I wasn't yet at a point to start working on my NPC texts. But I realize now that it seems my textboxes dont work correctly anymore. Is it possible that the last update from Nesmaker from August 24th/25th did away with the doDrawText.asm script and started using another one ?

Top Bottom