Weapon/Character Swap

Salutations!
I've been wanting to make a Mega Man-style game for quite some time. As I am sure most people here are aware, the core mechanic of Mega Man is switching between weapons collected from defeated bosses. Unfortunately, I have not been able to gather how to input such a feature (that is, switching between multiple weapons that do different things) despite watching some of the tutorials and looking through these forums (the glitchy search doesn't quite help).
My actual implementation I want to do is that the player earns money for defeating a boss, which is then spent on their weapons or upgrades. I am similarly at a loss for how to implement that.
A similar mechanic is the center of another potential project of mine, a metroidvania where the player collects characters (with different movesets) to swap between. I've seen no demos or tutorials on swapping between character sprites and further none on gaining them.
Both of these projects are fairly achievable with the modules as they are and the tutorials I can currently find, except for these core mechanics.
Am I missing a clear tutorial here, are these at all planned features, or are these only achievable through hard coding (to which I then ask if there is any help for that)? I'm much more a pixel artist than any kind of programmer, so I tend to get lost when coding without a map.

dale_coop

Staff member
You could try experimenting with something like that:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1760&p=10871

dale_coop

Staff member
On that one, no. Stopped that experiment, because not enough freetime for that. But I helped some members who were using it.

Dirk

Yes, I can imagine ^^
I'll definitely use it. If I'll manage to improve it in some way I'll share it here (I don't think I can, but I'll try ^^).

Top Bottom