NES Maker 4.1.5 Setting up the HUD

So I've been following the tutorial and imported the hud from the sample folder, but when I saved it into the same file as the tutorial, it doesn't appear in the tab of hud_and_boxes. Instead I get it displaying multiple drawings of my sprite instead and I cant get it to change to the hud that I'm intending to setup. What do I do to get the hud imported correctly?

Doing some more exploring into the situation, I found that saving the hud module swapped places with my Sprites file and wouldn't refer back to the original file that was saved there. So when I open my sprites it pulls up the hud instead. Is this just a bug in the software, or is my file system just messed up?

baardbi

To get the HUD graphics (letters, numbers and so on) then only thing you need to do is to open the picture file you want. I suggest you use "TutorialAssets\FromBeta\Graphics\Letters_Numbers_Hud.bmp". Just open this file in the Pixel Editor and save it where your game graphics are. This could be "MyGame\GraphicAssets\MyGame\HudTiles.bmp". The important thing is that you save this file over the blank one that is already there (HudTiles.bmp). Then you should see the HUD graphics appear in the HUD settings in NESmaker.

I followed that, but the graphic does not show up in the HUD & Boxes tab. Instead I get a bunch of the tiles of my Sprite showing. I've followed the tutorial so far and saved it over the right file, but nothing happened.

Attachments

• error.PNG
    error.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,163

baardbi

Check your BckCHR_00.bmp file in the GraphicAssets folder. BckCHR_00.bmp is the default file for the first set of background tiles. It will automatically fill the screen with the first (top left) graphic that is there. Your player graphic should be in the file GameObjectTiles.bmp which is also located in the GraphicAssets folder. Your HUD will not display properly until you start your game. Make sure you have set up the HUD the way you want (health, score and so on):

hudsetup.png

Did you follow this tutorial when setting up the HUD?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLe0NIj-Q_8&t=279s[/media]

Yes and it all comes up blank
I saved it over the hudtiles file and it uploads a background file instead
Is there a way to force it to open the right file?

baardbi

Well. You can't force it to open the right file. But really there's no need for that. NESmaker automatically opens the right files. I would recommend that you look in your GraphicAssets folder in Windows (Windows Explorer). You should be able to see from the thumbnail pictures if the graphics look right. When I look in my GraphicAssets folder (C:\Users\baardbi\Desktop\NESmaker\GraphicAssets\MyGame) I see this:

graphicassetsfolder.png

1. BckCHR_00.bmp: The background tiles

2. GameObjectTiles.bmp: The player graphics

3. HudTiles.bmp: The HUD graphics

If you have done this right you should be able to see this under "HUD & Boxes" in NESmaker:

hudsupport.png

You should also check what graphics are loaded into "Assets" under "Graphics Bank 1":

assetssupport.png

These are the background tiles of your game.

My problem is that regardless if I save it to the file of my HUD to the right file, it's not opening it in the HUD & Boxes.
For some reason when I started a new project it worked because my sprite sheet wasn't there, is there a way to change that on my original copy?

baardbi

Sounds weird if you have done all of the steps above. I guess there is a possibility that the project file could be corrupt, but I have never heard of that happening to anyone. I would recommend you start a new project (for test purposes). From there you can open all you graphics from the project you are working on. That way you can see if it works in your new project.

Nope I think I just solved the HUD problem in the setup there actually a way to change what directory/file the HUD is being pulled from, but now that I solved the HUD problem, I need to fix my Sprite and Sprite animations.

It's done in the project settings under Tilesets tab, over to the far right, there's a bar where the pathtag guides the program to the HUD graphics file

I now need to recreate the sprite graphics since I changed where my sprite bit file is located.

baardbi

Yes. I know there are options to change folders. The thing is that it's weird that you had to do that in the first place. Normally you don't have to touch the advanced settings to make a standard game. Anyway I'm glad you found a sollution :)

So after I fixed this problem, a new one came along and I don't seem to have my sprite appearing when I move it up. I have the animation set up and it moves, but it just disappears when it moves up.

baardbi

Have you set up all your animation types under Object Details for the player object?

animationtypes.png

I would also recommend that you fill your last square in the lower right corner of your GameObject graphic file. Just fill it with a solid color (different from the transparent color). That will save you from a lot of problems when you start using the HUD.

spritezero.png

I already setup the animations and they happen when my character is in idle and not while they are moving, which was happening at the beginning. But the disappearing just started.

baardbi

When you did some changes in the Project Settings window, did you change the GameObject file? If you are sure the animation settings are correct under Object Details, make sure that the file for GameObjectTiles is correct. Also make sure that all the animation graphics are actually in the BMP file.

tilesets.png

And another thing. I was just thinking that the problem you had earlier might occur if you manually copy/replace bmp files in Windows Explorer. NESmaker doesn't like that. As long as you open and save bmp files in the Pixel Editor you'll be fine, but if you change files outside of NESmaker manually you might run into problems.

Okay I have made some changes copying and moving files in windows file system. Do I just go back through and replicate what I did on the original file?

baardbi

That's a good question. My experience is a little mixed when it comes to this. Sometimes I have gotten it to work after moving/replacing files manually in Windows Explorer, but sometimes it seems like the project file has been corrupted. If that is the case I would definately recommend starting a new project. It's not quite as bad as it sounds, since you can use all your graphics and you can also export/import game objects, maps, palettes and monsters. BUT!!! Try to open the right graphic files in Pixel Editor first and then save them in the correct folders (with the correct file names). If that doesn't help... well... you might have to consider the new project thing...

baardbi

That's another good question. I don't think you can do too much stuff like that in NESmaker. You can mess with the ASM files as much as you want, but the UI features are pretty locked down. So I don't think there are any tricks to manipulate how those things work.

Top Bottom