Walking animation tip

Hey, so this isn't some huge insight or anything, but perhaps helpful. I've noticed people using 2 frames of animation for their character (one foot forward, other foot forward). I have found that you can get a much smoother animation effect if you use 4 frames of animation: 1) one foot forward, 2) idle standing frame, 3) other foot forward, 4) idle standing frame. Anyway, I'm not some animation god or anything, but figured it is something easy to implement and you might find the end result desirable :)

I use as many frames as I can for most any animation, but especially for the player.
This is good advice. A good walk is difficult to pull off. I have a hard time not making my character look like they're hopping backwards on one leg.

Lother

Also, you have to make sure that your frames of your animation are the most extreme poses possible. It will bring more life to it. And don't forget to also do that with character armes if possible or logical.

Sinis

Of what I do is make the 1-2-3-2 animation and see if I can squeeze anything between to make it more fluid. Most times I get it right but other times lead up to going back and redoing it again until it looks good :)

Even better practice is making something go 1-2-3-1-2-3 kind of animation as you have to tie it together better though to each their own and how they make it :)

KamDraby

hi,
Does anyone else have a non-animating player sprite? Ive tried starting a new game with both genders, and each time the player just glides along the ground -- no walking animation is played.

The demo didnt have this bug, which seems really strange.

thanks,
Raigan

dale_coop

Staff member
Hummm...
Make sure you assigned the "StartMovingPlayerLeft.asm" (and Right) when HOLDing the button.
Also, that you assign your walkingLeft and walking Right animations to your "Walk" animation type, in the object details. AND that "Walk" animation type assigned to the "Action Step 1" (the walking state).

Top Bottom