DPCM Sample Playback Test

CutterCross

So you know how NESmaker doesn't currently support DPCM sample playback?

Let's change that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8SBjFyLEE&feature=youtu.be

This is test I created for re-enabling the DMC and DPCM sample playback in NESmaker. It was quite a pain in the rear to set up, but the results were worth it. I've also implemented a double-read routine for controller inputs to prevent the 2A03 DMC controller bug from affecting the player.

I'll be doing more tests with DPCM samples in the future.

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah!
This is so SOOOOOOOOOooooooo cool!

CutterCross

I've confirmed that re-enabling the DMC like this also brings back functionality for using Bxx to loop your songs at an arbitrary loop point. I thought the reason why it wasn't working in NESmaker before was that since it needed to be present in all 5 channels (including the DMC), and NESmaker doesn't read anything from the DMC by default, it wasn't reading the Bxx effect there either. Turns out my hypothesis was right.

Raftronaut

CutterCross said:
I've confirmed that re-enabling the DMC like this also brings back functionality for using Bxx to loop your songs at an arbitrary loop point. I thought the reason why it wasn't working in NESmaker before was that since it needed to be present in all 5 channels (including the DMC), and NESmaker doesn't read anything from the DMC by default, it wasn't reading the Bxx effect there either. Turns out my hypothesis was right.

That is really interesting! I have never used the Bxx command for loop points. Exciting

Top Bottom