Adding a song/sfx to existing sound pack?

jataka5000

Hi Everyone,
Worked through the tutorials for NESmaker Orientation and the Famitracker tutorial http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3018. I want to add a couple of my own sounds to NESmaker, but I keep running into issues. I can either load my sound at the exclusion of all the songs/sfx in the "Tutorial_4_5_SoundPack" or if I try to add my sound into the text file, the moment that my sound is played in the game, it messes with all the other settings. This is because the instruments in my sound are different than the instruments that Tutorial_4_5_SoundPack uses.

Does anyone have advice or know a tutorial for integrating various Famitracker products together into NESmaker? Ideally all as one big Famitracker text output.

Cheers!
j5k

CutterCross

You can import the default NESmaker music/SFX txt file into FamiTracker by going to File -> Import text. Then you can easily add your own instruments to the instrument bank, and add your own additional songs/SFX by going to Module -> Module Properties.

jataka5000

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the thing I want to do is a little more nuanced. I have already spent time creating a custom sound effect that I want to add to the default NESmaker music/sfx (for example), but when I import text, the earlier project is cleared. What I'm looking to do is basically merge two separate famitracker projects into a NESmaker project, without needing to generate the additional songs/sfx from scratch all over again...

CutterCross

You could just open another FamiTracker window and copy/paste your instruments and note data from one to the other. In Module Properties there's also an option to import tracks and instruments from another FTM file if you want to take that approach.

offparkway

Hey! I could use a bit more explanation for this. I made a whole song in famitracker and have it exported as an .nsf file. Just looking to add it to the existing music that’s available in NESmaker. Not following Cutters solution. Copy/pasting to what? I also don’t see anything like Module properties. (Using 4.5.2, and famitracker doesn’t load within the NESmaker program. I’m using famitracker on its own.)

CutterCross

offparkway said:
Hey! I could use a bit more explanation for this. I made a whole song in famitracker and have it exported as an .nsf file. Just looking to add it to the existing music that’s available in NESmaker. Not following Cutters solution. Copy/pasting to what? I also don’t see anything like Module properties. (Using 4.5.2, and famitracker doesn’t load within the NESmaker program. I’m using famitracker on its own.)

You shouldn't be exporting your music to an NSF file if you're trying to add to NESmaker's music/SFX txt file. For clarification, an NSF file is essentially a NES ROM containing FamiTracker's sound engine and music data. To export your music for use with NESmaker, you need to export it as a txt file by going to [File -> Export text] in FamiTracker. Then that txt file can be imported into NESmaker to be compiled in your game's ROM.

If you want to add on to NESmaker's tutorial music/SFX assets, you need to either open up the FTM file, or import the txt file through FamiTracker by going to [File -> Import text]. Then you need to open the Module Properties window. You can go to [Module -> Module Properties], or click the Module Properties button in the top ribbon, or just press Ctrl+P. Then you can add a new track to the song list.

If you don't want to re-type all the note data / instrument data manually, you can just open another FamiTracker window, load your song up, then copy/paste your note data from there. There's also an Import File button in Module Properties where you can import songs and instruments from other FTM files if you prefer that method.

offparkway

Thanks for this! My apologies, but Im still not following how to add my song to existing NESmaker tunes.

I misspoke earlier about the nsf. I meant to say .txt. So I have my song exported as a text file.

I can't seem to find anything in the NESmaker files that is FamiTracker compatible. There's a file listed as "AllSongs_WithSFX" but it's a .asm file. I don't see any text or .ftm files from NESmaker for sound.

CutterCross said:
offparkway said:

You shouldn't be exporting your music to an NSF file if you're trying to add to NESmaker's music/SFX txt file. For clarification, an NSF file is essentially a NES ROM containing FamiTracker's sound engine and music data. To export your music for use with NESmaker, you need to export it as a txt file by going to [File -> Export text] in FamiTracker. Then that txt file can be imported into NESmaker to be compiled in your game's ROM.

If you want to add on to NESmaker's tutorial music/SFX assets, you need to either open up the FTM file, or import the txt file through FamiTracker by going to [File -> Import text]. Then you need to open the Module Properties window. You can go to [Module -> Module Properties], or click the Module Properties button in the top ribbon, or just press Ctrl+P. Then you can add a new track to the song list.

If you don't want to re-type all the note data / instrument data manually, you can just open another FamiTracker window, load your song up, then copy/paste your note data from there. There's also an Import File button in Module Properties where you can import songs and instruments from other FTM files if you prefer that method.

CutterCross

offparkway said:
Thanks for this! My apologies, but Im still not following how to add my song to existing NESmaker tunes.

I misspoke earlier about the nsf. I meant to say .txt. So I have my song exported as a text file.

I can't seem to find anything in the NESmaker files that is FamiTracker compatible. There's a file listed as "AllSongs_WithSFX" but it's a .asm file. I don't see any text or .ftm files from NESmaker for sound.

There is a TutorialAssets folder that holds the premade NESmaker graphics assets and music. The Sound folder in there should contain an FTM or txt file of the NESmaker music/SFX (assuming you're using NESmaker 4.5), which you can load into FamiTracker and edit.

offparkway

Almost there! I loaded up the NESmaker FTM music/effects, then went to module properties and imported my song. It shows up now as Item 29 after all the sound effects. I hit save, re-loaded NESmaker, but the song still doesn't show up in the NESmaker navigation (yes, using 4.5.2).

I also exported the updated FTM as a text file in case that was the issue, but still no-go.

CutterCross said:
offparkway said:

There is a TutorialAssets folder that holds the premade NESmaker graphics assets and music. The Sound folder in there should contain an FTM or txt file of the NESmaker music/SFX (assuming you're using NESmaker 4.5), which you can load into FamiTracker and edit.

Top Bottom