Errors occurring AFTER a successful sound import

Rustocrat

Alright, so I've been fiddling with importing my own sound files for a while now and I've FINALLY gotten them successfully imported into the engine (without throwing up any red flags on entry). However, when I export and test my game there's no sound. After checking my soundcard and FCEUX settings, I found nothing wrong. BUT, when I exited FCEUX and clicked on the song file in the engine, I was greeted with the included image. I assume this is my problem? Has anyone else encountered this?

NESMaker sound error.PNG

CutterCross

I've never personally encountered this error, but I think it might have something to do with how your music or SFX is set up. (I'm more leaning towards that it's a SFX problem since that's what causes the majority of issues in NESmaker.) Do you mind if you share the .txt file you're importing? I can try and see what the problem is.

Rustocrat

Sure! It looks like I can't paste the raw text here, so I'll have to link you to it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQM6TEueB_XoGwHwuaBC2ncQYpCXCkm1/view?usp=sharing

CutterCross

I found out the source of your problem!

In your instrument bank it seems you deleted a couple instruments. I could tell because it goes from instrument 27 to instrument 2A without any instrument 28 or 29. Turns out NESmaker gets REALLY confused when it reads that and goes nuts with error messages. What you should do: Add 2 more instruments to fill slots 28 and 29 back again.

Now looking at your music and instruments, I noticed a few things that shouldn't cause too many issues, but it would be wise of you to fix.

1. The main thing I notice is that at the end of your NauseousWaltz song you use the Dxx effect, which isn't supported by NESmaker or GGsound. Now, normally effects shouldn't PREVENT the song from importing, it just wouldn't do anything when it plays. HOWEVER, since the Dxx effect could cause issues with how the song itself plays, so you should probably remove it.

2. A small thing I noticed is that your SFX don't have stop notes at the end of them. What I would do is create an instrument with a volume envelope of 0 and place a note at the end, followed immediately by a note break (AKA a dash - ). That will make absolutely sure the SFX ends and the music on that channel will play again.

3. This probably doesn't effect much, but it would be a good idea to make sure ALL of your instruments have a Duty envelope, half of them don't.

Rustocrat

Thanks man! Crap, this means I have to compose a way around the odd time signature change-ups in Nauseous Waltz. I initially thought that the Dxx effect was one of the few actually supported by GGSound. Whoops! The rest seems fairly easy to tackle. Thank you so much!

CutterCross

I think you're thinking of the Bxx effect, which GGsound DOES support, but NESmaker does NOT (I've tried it). Always best to compose around the limitations, not try to force it in.

You're welcome man!

Rustocrat

Alright, I've removed the Dxx effect, added place holder instruments in 28 and 29, and made sure that all instruments have a duty cycle. Now I'm getting the following errors: NESMaker sound error 2.PNG NESMaker sound error 3.PNG

Any idea what these are? Here's the link to the text file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13xjR7v0Dh_ntqDcbwanJ5mEdgf2YUa2r/view?usp=sharing

CutterCross

I honestly don't know about this one, it doesn't seem to be much different from the version I revised and tested. You know what, I'll just share that one instead through a private message.

Top Bottom