Extra GGsound Limitations

CutterCross

Re: Extra GGsound Limitations

Post by CutterCross » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 pm

darkhog wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:14 pm
I see. Though it would be better if GGSound could utilize these effects as otherwise you have to bake them into instruments meaning you may have several instrument clones with different pitch bend rates and when you need/want to change a pitch of an instrument, you got to change every clone.

As for the inverting of notes, I really hope noise thing will be resolved by the 1.0 - from what I've read in this thread in GGSound the issue is already resolved so all that needs to be done is to merge importer code to NM's internals. Other than that, is there a way of automatically inverting notes or do you have to change these manually? I'd be pretty happy if there was a tool for that because otherwise it's a lot of work if you need to make a slight changes to the tune.
Eh, the effects issue isn't that big a deal for me. It would be nice if they were supported, but sometimes you just have to work with what you've got.

And as for inverting Noise channel notes, I just re-invert the notes in Famitracker manually before creating the .txt file, as there doesn't seem to be a way to do it "automatically". If it helps, here's a reference guide to show what each Noise channel note will sound like when compiled in NESmaker.
Original: Image Inverted: Image

Hopefully if this issue is fixed in the final version of NESmaker this information won't be needed anymore. What I'd like to see fixed are the buzzing/Atari TIA sounds the Noise channel can make using a duty cycle of 1 or 3. Those didn't work last time I checked.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:30 pm

*UPDATE: As of the Pi Beta, the Noise channel is no longer inverted in the compiled ROM, so what it sounds like in Famitracker WILL be what it sounds like in game. Glad to see that was fixed.
Also arpeggios are not currently supported, but should be supported in the full release.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 pm

CutterCross wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:30 pm
*UPDATE: As of the Pi Beta, the Noise channel is no longer inverted in the compiled ROM, so what it sounds like in Famitracker WILL be what it sounds like in game. Glad to see that was fixed.
Also arpeggios are not currently supported, but should be supported in the full release.
That's going to be a hug help for sure, no more having to take the time to do inversions before exporting.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 pm

I tried importing some music I've been preparing into the 4_0_0 release of NESmaker and I didn't get any issues! That's a first! Arpeggios are now confirmed to work!
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 am

CutterCross wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 pm
I tried importing some music I've been preparing into the 4_0_0 release of NESmaker and I didn't get any issues! That's a first! Arpeggios are now confirmed to work!
That's awesome to hear! Not only that there are no issues but also that you're now able to play around and work with NESmaker directly! :D
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 am
That's awesome to hear! Not only that there are no issues but also that you're now able to play around and work with NESmaker directly! :D
Yup! But I've also been working with importing music into NESmaker since the betas, so I already know all the things that can go wrong and write music with that in mind. Others however, especially newcomers, will likely have a TON of issues when it comes to NESmaker and the limitations of GGsound.

And it's great to finally have access to NESmaker :D Now I can test songs myself!
vrbandwagon

Post by vrbandwagon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 am

CutterCross wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am
Mihoshi20 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 am
Yup! But I've also been working with importing music into NESmaker since the betas, so I already know all the things that can go wrong and write music with that in mind. Others however, especially newcomers, will likely have a TON of issues when it comes to NESmaker and the limitations of GGsound.

And it's great to finally have access to NESmaker :D Now I can test songs myself!
It would be great to have someone as knowledgeable as you make some kind of tutorial about this! :)
******************** Yoshi (no tamago)'s High Score: 8660 pts, 55 eggs, level 13 ********************
MistSonata

Post by MistSonata » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 pm

I second vrbandwagon's notion. I've been hoping for someone to make a tutorial explaining what not to do, so that I could tinker around with my own SFX.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 pm

So I went ahead and did a sort of "stress test" for NESmaker's sound capabilities, and I made a few discoveries.

1. Instruments which have a duty cycle of 1 or 3 WILL play buzzing/ting notes on the Noise channel! That wasn't the case with the earlier betas.

2. The Bxx effect doesn't work at all, at least not in my tests.

3. You don't need to have a sfx to import music into NESmaker.

4. Effects and channel volume won't play in NESmaker, but they don't prevent the song from importing. So they'll never be the cause of an importing error.

5. Songs longer than 09 ORDER will still fail to import. That hasn't changed.

I'll also try to make a video tutorial on how to avoid problems importing into NESmaker sometime in the future.
darkhog

Post by darkhog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Cool. A guide how to convert a song that uses effects (mainly portamento/pitchbend) and volume column by hand so it imports properly would be nice, if you can make one.