NESMakers: if you want effects, push Joe/Josh to use Pently

gradualgames

GGSound as many of you have observed is limited with respect to its support of FamiTracker effects. There is a much better engine, made by one of the best nes engineers in the world, Damian Yerrick, called Pently:

https://github.com/pinobatch/pently

There is a famitracker converter for it:

https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/ft2pently

If nesmakers want a better sound engine, I would recommend you all petition Joe and Josh to integrate this other sound engine. GGSound is feature complete and will not be added to (by me. anyone is of course free to fork it and add to it, but why do that when another sound engine already has the additional support).

i gotta admit, i find this a bit shocking to see this the day before release.

limitations aside you've made a pretty good engine.

SeaFoodAndButter

gradualgames said:
GGSound as many of you have observed is limited with respect to its support of FamiTracker effects. There is a much better engine, made by one of the best nes engineers in the world, Damian Yerrick, called Pently:

https://github.com/pinobatch/pently

There is a famitracker converter for it:

https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/ft2pently

If nesmakers want a better sound engine, I would recommend you all petition Joe and Josh to integrate this other sound engine. GGSound is feature complete and will not be added to (by me. anyone is of course free to fork it and add to it, but why do that when another sound engine already has the additional support).

I agree. NESMaker needs to at least fully support Famitracker 100%. There's no excuse why NESMaker doesn't support Famitracker, including all its effects and expansion chips. I actually wrote Joe on his Twitter about this issue and I was basically laughed at, told this was not a priority to Joe, and if I want my Famitracker music to be in NESMaker than it was my responsibility to program my own sound engine. Honestly, I really like Joe and support him and his efforts, but to shrug off NESMaker fully supporting Famitracker is, in my opinion, not right.

PS I did misspeak and type "Famicom" instead of "Famitracker" but the conversation was still fully understood.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-08-14 01.04.28.png
    Screenshot 2018-08-14 01.04.28.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 4,678

Kasumi

There are absolutely reasons why NES Maker doesn't support all of Famitracker. The music extensions in particular change WAY MORE than just the music. The way that you must access data (ALL data, not just music data) fundamentally changes. It changes the graphical capabilities, and a lot of other things that can be fundamentally incompatible with the current game engine.

There's regular NES. Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong were regular NES. Anything more complex (MOST games) had extra hardware in the cartridge that allowed them to have more space/more RAM/more whatever. But the kicker is all the hardware was pretty different. There are more than 50 types. Even if you only look at the types that offer music extensions, there are a lot of differences.

Beyond that, without modifying the NES it can't even play the extra audio channels. (Famicom can!) And because the cartridge hardware itself is different, you couldn't even flash the "NES Maker Cartridge" if you used any extended audio.

Even just supporting everything that famitracker can do with the basic channels is a trade off of engine size and RAM use. The more the engine does the bigger/slower it usually is, and the more RAM it must use. If NES Maker only did music, it could dedicate RAM to just that. As it is, every extra byte of RAM the music engine uses is a byte of RAM the rest of the engine can't. What GGSound supports is actually really, really good. I used an engine with even less features for Indivisible and it was more than enough.

CutterCross

SeaFoodAndButter said:
I agree. NESMaker needs to at least fully support Famitracker 100%. There's no excuse why NESMaker doesn't support Famitracker, including all its effects and expansion chips. I actually wrote Joe on his Twitter about this issue and I was basically laughed at, told this was not a priority to Joe, and if I want my Famitracker music to be in NESMaker than it was my responsibility to program my own sound engine. Honestly, I really like Joe and support him and his efforts, but to shrug off NESMaker fully supporting Famitracker is, in my opinion, not right.

PS I did misspeak and type "Famicom" instead of "Famitracker" but the conversation was still fully understood.
I think it's pretty unfair to ask for NESmaker to implement something like VRC6 sound when the stock NES can't even support it in the first place.

As for GGsound's Famitracker support, while it may seem more limiting at first, you can find ways to get around a lot of it's limitations if you're clever enough. You don't need to use effects to get stuff like vibrato or pitch-bends, and you don't need the channel volume column to change the volume of a note. It's all about finding clever ways to get around limitations, it's half the fun of making NES games in the first place!

And hey, GGsound is a LOT better than composing music in a hex editor!

the problem with using vrc6 or 7 or 5b is not just the fact american NES systems don't support expansion audio in the first place without modding the hardware,
but you'd have to develop a whole new board and mapper to manufacture a cartridge.

you'd need to put in all the features of a mapper 30 pcb with the 512k, but you'd have to add in the synth chip and design it to be controllable to exactly how famitracker emulates it.
even if you were to have this as a ROM only feature, you'd still need someone to code it up, and then have every emulator and powerpak/everdrive support it.

sure, i'd give my left nut for something like that, but it's not only a tall order but a costly one that would need the stars to align for it.

we're better off seeing the viability of hooking alternate engines into the program for a more robust 2ao3 experience.

FrankenGraphics

I agree. NESMaker needs to at least fully support Famitracker 100%. There's no excuse why NESMaker doesn't support Famitracker

I don't mean to dogpile, but i want to underline that famitracker wasn't designed to be used in games. It does work, but you will have performance problems unless your game is designed to be in the simpler end of the spectrum. That usually means no scrolling updates, few objects, and/or very simple object handling. Also, there's no support for running SFX and background music simultaneously.

If you want, you can hack in shiru's neslib+famitracker (costs 80kb) to solve the sfx+music problem, but i really wonder what the practical gain would be.

For the record, most famitracker "effects" are just composer conveniences, and their end result can be achieved through other means.

There are some song file size tradeoffs when using famitracker effects. Sometimes, effects help you keep file sizes down. At other times, they can bloat your file. Always keep an eye on what methods that you use result in larger/smaller files.

Pently would be my #1 goto driver always if it had been more convenient for me to compose for. If you're fluent in qbasic/lilypond-style music notation, it might be just right for you. Or you can convert it from a FT project almost just like with any other driver, but be aware that FT and pently works quite differently, so some things you can do with pently (which is quite flexible in terms of sequencing) can't be done from the famitracker environment, and some things famitracker can do can't be done by pently (vibrato speed is a hardwired constant, for example).

SeaFoodAndButter

I understand what everyone's saying. But I even tried to load a Famitracker song with simply the 2 basic Pulse channels, 1 Triangle, and 1 noise. I did no effects or envelopes and did not mess with the volume. It still fails to load :(

darkhog

Yeah, I hope Joe and Josh could change the sound engine to Pently. And MML isn't that hard to begin with anyways.

FrankenGraphics said:
pently works quite differently, so some things you can do with pently (which is quite flexible in terms of sequencing) can't be done from the famitracker environment, and some things famitracker can do can't be done by pently (vibrato speed is a hardwired constant, for example).

Vibrato can be worked around though and while I agree the differences are quite significant, Pently still beats GGSound in terms of what it can do. And hey, since it seems to be recommended by the dev of GGSound himself, it has to be better.

CutterCross

SeaFoodAndButter said:
I understand what everyone's saying. But I even tried to load a Famitracker song with simply the 2 basic Pulse channels, 1 Triangle, and 1 noise. I did no effects or or envelopes and dis not mess with the volume. It still fails to load :(
If you're still having trouble importing it's most likely an issue with song/file names and labels, or a song is longer than 09 ORDER. Channel volume control and effects won't prevent a song from importing, they just won't play back in the engine.

Also I don't recall anyone ever saying you couldn't use envelopes (aside from Hi-Pitch envelopes), in fact you NEED at least one volume envelope in order to hear any sound at all in GGsound (or any other sound engine for that matter).

SeaFoodAndButter said:
I understand what everyone's saying. But I even tried to load a Famitracker song with simply the 2 basic Pulse channels, 1 Triangle, and 1 noise. I did no effects or or envelopes and dis not mess with the volume. It still fails to load :(

what the exact file name of the famitracker file?

SeaFoodAndButter

I tried to export the file and save as a .txt file. Then I right click on "sound" in NESMaker and import the .txt file. But it fails. I got 1 track to work a few days ago but nothing since.

CutterCross

SeaFoodAndButter said:
I tried to export the file and save as a .txt file. Then I right click on "sound" in NESMaker and import the .txt file. But it fails. I got 1 track to work a few days ago but nothing since.
Again, it's probably failing because of either a file name/song name issue and/or you have a song longer than 09 ORDER. You can share the .txt or the .ftm file if you want me or someone else to help you with the problem, but otherwise we can't give much more help than that.

FrankenGraphics

darkhog said:
Vibrato can be worked around though
Yeah, for example you can edit that constant at build time, or you can hack pently to look for it in RAM instead and change it on the go manually, for example as part of or prior to song initialization*. Maybe you can even write an intercepting routine that takes a message meant for something else to change it on the fly within a song. But you can't work around it using pitch envelopes (like you can in FamiTone2 or whatever), because there are none. That also means no detune, and no subtle pitch fluctuations in attack and decay portions (if you want to synthesize reeds, flutes, recorders, trumpets, guitar plucks etc, those would've helped getting more life-like results). One final method, which doesn't require any programming skills, is depending on your song setting and allows you to achieve an alternate rate vibrato with the help of repeating portamento notes, at the cost rapidly increasing song file sizes if you use it too much.

Vibratoes is a quite small problem. Pently is preset at a pleasant-sounding pop vibrato speed that just works in a lot of cases. I'm only mentioning it because i had problems with it for a specific soundtrack that relies a lot on more versatile vibratoes.

*(Trivia that might be useful for someone: Super Mario Bros does something similar before playing a new song. It sets the DPCM delta counter to different values, which has the very quirky side effect of offsetting the master volume of the triangle and noise channels subtly. A somewhat quieter and/or wispier tri channel can be achieved this way. but each write causes a small, unpleasant pop sound, so it's a little inconvenient to use it acceptably in the middle of a song. Theoretically, a low noise master volume could potentially also mean smoother sounding noise drum envelopes and sfx, since each step then is closer together in volume and you rarely use the normal max volume anyway. I don't know of any historical game that has used this to actual benefit though, and the tri channel is already quiet as it is compared to the square channels unless you play in the bright octaves; where this trick can help softening what would otherwise be ear-piercing[).

And hey, since it seems to be recommended by the dev of GGSound himself, it has to be better.
I think Derek is being a bit modest here, while also being friendly and reminding that there are alternatives (for users who don't mind getting technical, i'll add).
I'll maintain that there is no universal case of better or worse. I've spent a lot of time comparing the facts because i've been prompted or taken it upon myself to write songs for each and every of the alternatives out there, except the relatively new dougeff fork and some obscure old ones. If i'm to sum it up, here,'s a guide.

-Do you want as much cpu cycles as possible reserved for game logic? Or do you plan on doing sprite0 hit detection-based scroll splits, or just like the fact that no matter what you do, the driver will never cause CPU usage spikes? Do you have the space to store somewhat larger song files compared to FamiTone2? WIll you not need the DPCM channel? Then Penguin is best (in fact, it is sometimes an effortless plug and play replacement for FT2). Note that sound effects are not as lean on storage as in FT2, but they don't add any extra work for the CPU, which is a plus.
-Do you want a super simple job composing, including chiptunes-grade music, don't care for technicalities, and using it for a game with modest resource demands? Then famitracker driver (or rather neslib+ft) is best.
-Do you want a well rounded, yet still quite lean driver? Then either FamiTone2, Pently or GGsound is "best", a lot depending on the specifics of your particular game design, minute technical differences in what you actually can do sound design-wise/musically/conveniently, and also depending the composers' individual workflow/usecase**. Of the three, pently differs most in its feature set, but all three also aim at balancing being between being lean and being versatile.
---Do you want an as straightforward as possible ft to practical driver conversion? I'd argue FamiTone2 does the best job, closely followed by GGsound, but it is splitting hairs. GGsound has better documentation, and also a video tutorial.
---Do you positively need a wider note range than C-1-D6? Go for either GGsound or Pently.
---Do you positively need a convenient way to change tempo in the middle of a song? then FamiTone2 or Pently.
---Do you plan on using DPCM? go for GGsound or FamiTone2.
---Do you positively need SFX on more than two channels? Rule out GGsound.
---Do you plan on using Duty changes in an instrument? GGsound is the most flexible, followed by Pently. FamiTone2 just can't unless you set the tempo to 1 step per tick, which is awkward.
---Is your sountrack very large? watch out for pently's limitation of 51 instruments, 25 drum instruments and 255 patterns. Plan your patterns a bit carefully regarding pattern length and reusability. Famitone might seem as limited, but in practice isn't because its limit is soft. It refers to how many songs and tracks you can pack per project file, not per driver instance. You can modify the driver to look for instrument/pattern data in swappable banks instead and interleave that data on those, but it doesn't come ready.
---Do you want to compose long, complex songs but still retain a tiny filesize for your songs, making the most out of Pently's dynamic approach? Then go for pently.
---Do you need to be more CPU efficient than FamiTone2 or GGsound, but can accept being less CPU efficient than Penguin? Go for pently.
---If MML scripts doesn't hold you back, time-wise or creatively, Then Pently is for you. If you prefer MML over tracking, then Pently is definitely for you.
---If you want a simple to use vibrato and portamento as opposed to write these things into instrument sequences, then Pently might be for you. But also - see below.
Lastly, a special mention:
-Are you looking for a conventient middle ground between the three above and famitracker, wish FamiTone2 had the full note range and a few potentially song file size saving composer conveniences added to Famitone2, but don't care for PAL support? Then dougeff:s FT2 fork is for you. But dropping PAL support should be a big nono for anyone who wants to sell physical copies of their game. For freeware ROM distribution, it's not too bad since most will just pop it in an NTSC-defaulted emulator anyway. Also be advised that you need to change it's RAM usage page manually to fit your game, since Doug used an absolute address @ $700. That needs to be changed by you.

Sometimes, the things you need for your soundtrack or game doesn't add up. Then there's only three ways to go:
-Simply accept some limitations or costs. NES development is all about accepting limitations and costly workarounds.
-Modify a preexisting driver, like dougeff or DRW have done, to your personal taste and needs.
-Or write a new one, which will likely take years, but on the birght side, it will enable even more nuances in the homebrew nes software catalog. And you're officially a hero.

**Anyone can take the time to build up skills using MML notation, but it is fundamentally a step backward compared to a realtime feedback sequencer or tracker. Each to their own, but personally i do not wish to go back to qbasic days of composing: write, build, run, repeat. It was fine for me when i was young and time felt infinite but It's just too slow a process for me nowadays. Mileage may vary. As for the "automated" famitracker to pently conversion, here's what the comparison wiki says:

"The native input format ("Pently score") is inspired by MML and intended to be familiar to users of PPMCK or LilyPond. Conversion from FT text export is through ft2pently by Joshua Hoffman. As Pently score was originally intended for human writability, some features don't map well onto FamiTracker features, requiring manual configuration of ft2pently or manual editing of the Pently score it produces".

and

"Automatic conversion doesn't use the newest features (linear portamento and 2-frame arpeggio) due to converter author's unfamiliarity with 0CC-FamiTracker."

In other words, you need to understand the structure of both formats, be prepared to do a lot of manual post-process tweaking, or even potentially be ready to modify a python program to suit your needs.

So basically, either way you go about it, you're looking at longer production time if you're going for similar results as you would have composing for another driver. For me, it may sometimes be worth it, but only on a case for case basis. As far as i'm concerned, It's not a general purpose upgrade for everyone. It's a tool for when its specific features are actually warranted in a way that another driver can't cover. A pently-based realtime editor would change all of that, which was why i wrote "would have been my 1# goto driver". But writing one such is a huge undertaking. That statement should btw have been written with the appendage "for technical reasons". If the reasons were purely musical, i don't think i'd never need to look further than varying between GGsound or Famitone2.

Even just looking at ROM, ZP, BBS figures for each driver, that is pretty treacherous. As a composer, you have a larger impact on the total filesize than what the bare ROM footprint of the driver has. The critical point to be on the lookout for is if your software is using a fixed bank and the audio driver is part of that bank. Then its ROM footprint can potentially be critical depending on what else you need to fit into the fixed bank. But... NESmaker is a package where you've got all that figured out for you, so what's left to look out for is just the song file sizes.

A big pro with the Pently toolchain is that it is very actively maintained. Last update was 2 days ago. I'd argue the same goes for GGsound. It has gotten a lot of attention from Derek since it was chosen as the standard driver of NESmaker (and for good reasons - it is very well rounded).

In summary, going through all the differences between GGsound, Famitone2, Dougeff:sFT2, neslib+FT, Penguin and Pently to determine what is best for your particular game is a lot of nerdy research, and requires a general idea about 6502 programming and python programming is also good to have a general concept of. The nesdev wiki summary on their differences is only scraping the surface and leaves some important factors out.

Reference:
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Audio_drivers

Top Bottom