Preferred software to get music ideas and sounds.

CutterCross

Re: Preferred software to get music ideas and sounds.

Post by CutterCross » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 pm

SeaFoodAndButter wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:56 pm
Damn, are you serious? That means I'm going to have to remove the Konami 6 chip lines and remix it? Damn, thanks for telling ,me. I could work through it, but I was hoping the Konomi 6 would work in NESMaker!
Yeah, but also remember that the VRC6 was only ever used in a few games, all Japan-only. Same goes for all the other sound expansion chips. The American NES (as well as PAL regions) don't have the circuitry to support enhanced sound from expansion chips (at least not without modding the console), so it's not really fair to expect NESmaker to support them. That's also the reason why we never got NES games with enhanced sound in America and Europe.

Also, NESmaker uses Mapper#30 cartriges from InfiniteNESLives, which isn't the same mapper as the Konomi VRC6.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
functionalform

Post by functionalform » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:52 am

considering the tech used to make those boards, i would imagine manufacturing the boards would be very costly.
also programming music for those chips were tricky as the registers to use it were different for the few games released.
so even if you wrote a famitracker file to use, it might not even work.
tornotlukin

Post by tornotlukin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:41 pm

I see that there is knowledgeable people here in terms of game music. Can anyone suggest a basic and compatible (to NESMaker) program to use? Also, if there is a work environment you think can serve noobs that would be appreciated as well!
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 pm

tornotlukin wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:41 pm
I see that there is knowledgeable people here in terms of game music. Can anyone suggest a basic and compatible (to NESMaker) program to use? Also, if there is a work environment you think can serve noobs that would be appreciated as well!
Right now, Famitracker is the ONLY way to get music into NESmaker, and I wouldn't exactly call it "basic" for first-timers. It took me about a year to fully understand it.
tornotlukin

Post by tornotlukin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Additional nooblery, is it in itself a music maker or a converter? (both?)
CutterCross wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 pm
Right now, Famitracker is the ONLY way to get music into NESmaker, and I wouldn't exactly call it "basic" for first-timers. It took me about a year to fully understand it.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:11 pm

tornotlukin wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 pm
Additional nooblery, is it in itself a music maker or a converter? (both?)
Famitracker is a music maker. NESmaker itself has a converter to convert famitracker .txt files into a format the GGsound engine can read (which is NESmaker's default sound engine).
GGsound has it's own limitations to write for, and there's even more limitations NESmaker throws into the mix when composing music. I reccommend looking at this forum post I made about all the extra sound limitations NESmaker has.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=219
tornotlukin

Post by tornotlukin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Your post will make more sense with this info. Thanks!
CutterCross wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:11 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=219
iridium_ionizer

Post by iridium_ionizer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:13 pm

I am pretty good at singing (terrible at piano and guitar), but I can kind of read sheet music. So I have been studying up on music theory on Wikipedia (chords, arpeggios, chord progressions, scales, etc.). It kind of makes my compositions a little simple right now in some ways, but they do sound different.

Also I have been using MuseScore (https://musescore.org/), which is a free music composition software to where you place notes on standard staffs. It has a steep learning curve on some parts, but it is very visual, easy to move groups of notes around (both with Copy+Paste and raising/lowering the pitch). Its easy to tweak a measure and play it and tweak it again.

Still at the end I have to hand transcribe it into Famitracker. I don't see how to import a midi file into Famitracker even though I see it mention in the Famitracker forums. Also in Famitracker entering the music for more than a few notes is incredibly awkward. To speed up the process I start a composition, export to a text file, create a new text file for the arpeggios that I am using, Copy+Paste into the exported text file, and then import the changed file back into Famitracker. I made a few instruments in Famitracker, but I just saved and imported a bunch of other 2A03 instruments from the demo music files.
EyE6SoLoMoN wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 pm
While not compatible with the NES, I like to dabble in https://www.beepbox.co/. It gives me an idea of what I'd like to hear. I see it as a way of "sketching out an idea". You can also export as a .midi file, as well as .json, and .wav.
Thanks EyE6SoLoMoN, this is great. Here's my quick composition. It certainly makes composing just using a scale easier. Too bad I haven't figured out how to import the midis into Famitracker, so it would just have to hand code this in also.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:39 pm

iridium_ionizer wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:13 pm
I am pretty good at singing (terrible at piano and guitar), but I can kind of read sheet music. So I have been studying up on music theory on Wikipedia (chords, arpeggios, chord progressions, scales, etc.). It kind of makes my compositions a little simple right now in some ways, but they do sound different.

Also I have been using MuseScore (https://musescore.org/), which is a free music composition software to where you place notes on standard staffs. It has a steep learning curve on some parts, but it is very visual, easy to move groups of notes around (both with Copy+Paste and raising/lowering the pitch). Its easy to tweak a measure and play it and tweak it again.

Still at the end I have to hand transcribe it into Famitracker. I don't see how to import a midi file into Famitracker even though I see it mention in the Famitracker forums. Also in Famitracker entering the music for more than a few notes is incredibly awkward. To speed up the process I start a composition, export to a text file, create a new text file for the arpeggios that I am using, Copy+Paste into the exported text file, and then import the changed file back into Famitracker. I made a few instruments in Famitracker, but I just saved and imported a bunch of other 2A03 instruments from the demo music files.
EyE6SoLoMoN wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 pm
While not compatible with the NES, I like to dabble in https://www.beepbox.co/. It gives me an idea of what I'd like to hear. I see it as a way of "sketching out an idea". You can also export as a .midi file, as well as .json, and .wav.
Thanks EyE6SoLoMoN, this is great. Here's my quick composition. It certainly makes composing just using a scale easier. Too bad I haven't figured out how to import the midis into Famitracker, so it would just have to hand code this in also.
Honestly I've been so used to Famitracker that it's far easier for me to hand-code EVERYTHING in Famitracker from the ground-up. It's certainly the best way to optimize your music for the NES. I don't even use any other supplementary music programs, MIDI, or even real instruments. It's certainly something you'd need to practice, but you get used to it over time.