[4.1.5] Sprite Cycling

chronicleroflegends

Re: [4.1.5] Sprite Cycling

Post by chronicleroflegends » Wed May 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks again for this!

I found that when I played on actual hardware, I had an issue with my second boss battle where it was possible to go over the sprites per scanline limit and make part of the boss disappear (making an unfair encounter for the player)

This helped out quite a bit. It still doesn't look nice to flicker like that, but at least where you can see where the boss is shooting you from.
~Do you believe in legends? ~
My Games: Nix: The Paradox Relic
retrothunder

Post by retrothunder » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm pretty slow when it come to this could someone give me a step by step cause I can't seem to find the script please help..
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 am

The "HandleUpdateObjects.asm" script in your "System" sub folder, under your root folder.
In "Project Settings > Script Settings", select the ROOT element and click on the "Edit" button :

Then double clic on the "System" folder.... you will see a lot of scripts, find "HandleUpdateObjects.asm" and open it with your favorite text editor (notepadd++ for example).
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
retrothunder

Post by retrothunder » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Thank you so much
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:31 am

So I noticed that if you don't want the player drawn on top, whenever you interact with another object such as an npc, both objects with flicker. Both this and being drawn on top removes the illusion of depth, being able to walk behind an npc object for example. Is there anyway to use this without that happening, or a way to count sprites on a given line so that the cycling only happens when the limit is reached?
AllDarnDavey

Post by AllDarnDavey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:48 am

Elarath wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:31 am
So I noticed that if you don't want the player drawn on top, whenever you interact with another object such as an npc, both objects with flicker. Both this and being drawn on top removes the illusion of depth, being able to walk behind an npc object for example. Is there anyway to use this without that happening, or a way to count sprites on a given line so that the cycling only happens when the limit is reached?
I can't think of an easy way to pull this off. My solution is stupidly simple, just shifting draw order every frame (excluding or including the player depending on the version). We'd somehow have to do more tracking, that's a lot extra coding work, and possibly too expensive on the NES. But I'll think on it, and if I can come up with anything I'll let you know.