Imperfect Top Bounds fix when play area is set to the entire screen

jorotroid

This is probably only relevant to anyone doing a game without the built-in HUD that includes moving up and down screens. If you set the play area of the game to encompass the full screen, then when your player transitions to up a screen, you will instead warp down a screen. This happens because the game checks to see if your position is greater than the value for the top bounds, if not, then it executes the up transition. But if the top bounds is set to zero, when you cross that boundary, you position loops around and by the time it does the check it sees that you position is now at the below the visible screen (which is greater than zero), so it moves on to do the bottom check and sees that you are past the bottom bounds, so it transitions down a screen. Here is what I did to fix it for now and what is still not quite right about it.

I had a real hard time figuring out a way to distinguish between a negative signed value and an unsigned value that is greater than 127. What I ended up doing is adding 127 to the y position before adding velocity and checking the Overflow flag to determine if the position crossed 0. To do this, open up the CheckPlayerCameraPosition MACRO script and go down to line 31 where you will see the following:
Code:
	LDA Object_y_lo,x
	CLC
	ADC Object_v_speed_lo,x
	LDA Object_y_hi,x
	ADC Object_v_speed_hi,x
	CMP #BOUNDS_TOP
	BCS notAtBoundsTop

Replace that code with this:
Code:
	LDA Object_y_hi,x
	CLC
	ADC #$7F
	STA temp
	LDA Object_y_lo,x
	CLC
	ADC Object_v_speed_lo,x
	LDA temp
	ADC Object_v_speed_hi,x
	BVC notAtBoundsTop

This will make the upward screen transitions mostly work as expected now. But there is one drawback. If you have any platforms near the top of the screen such that the top of your player will poke over to the bottom of the screen while standing on that top platform, the game will keep on swapping up and down a screen until you move the player elsewhere. To avoid this issue, just don't placing platforms too high. If your player is 16 pixels tall, then avoid placing platforms in the top two rows. If 32 pixels tall, then avoid the top 3 rows. You can have solids there, just nothing that the player can actually stand on.

Hope this is useful to somebody

Mugi

This is useful to me!

I dont know if rhis is related though, but i have monsters in my game that walk on the ceiling, and placing them on the first 4 tile rows on the top of the room makes them dissappear and crashes the game.

Its propably related to the whole deal that the engine doesnt know which room its supposed to be, and keeps swapping it until it crashes

jorotroid

Mugi said:
This is useful to me!

I dont know if rhis is related though, but i have monsters in my game that walk on the ceiling, and placing them on the first 4 tile rows on the top of the room makes them dissappear and crashes the game.

Its propably related to the whole deal that the engine doesnt know which room its supposed to be, and keeps swapping it until it crashes

Hm. Interesting. You're talking about your blobs? They're 16x16 in size, right? I can see that maybe causing issues in the 1st row, but I'm not sure why there would be issues in rows 2-4 if you have the play area set up to be the full screen. Weird. What sort of edge reaction to have on them?

Mugi

edge reaction is reverse direction iirc, but i can't check anymore since the monster didnt work so i deleted it.
i can recreate it and record a video of the behavior if you wish.

basically the top row of my play are is solid tiles, and the monster is below them, and below the row where the monster sits, i have monster block tiles, giving the impression that the blob walks on the ceiling, but actually it's walking on the monster block tiles.

that works just fine, except when you place them to the ceiling of the screen, when aforementioned happens.
you never see the monster on the screen, and after staying there for couple seconds, the game just locks up.

edit: ah nevermind, i still had the monster object. the edge reaction was set to screen extend.

Top Bottom