Two Players Single Screen Modules [4.1.5]

dale_coop

Re: Two Players Single Screen Modules [4.1.5]

Post by dale_coop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 am

Yep, you can... (I did for my game, you didn't play?)
The script is in System\HandleGameTimer.asm
I think you can follow the tutorial:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1982
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
wiggy

Post by wiggy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 pm

I came across this after compiling a single user test game just fine. Someone else earlier asked if you could add this safely, so I did.
But now after following the install tutorial I'm getting errors on "Export and Test asm" and my original single user game doesn't compile anymore (see attached error)... help :o
Attachments
cmd_errors.PNG
cmd_errors.PNG (24.45 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:47 pm

Sorry, but if you are a beginner (and by looking at the error I presume you are)... you will not be able to import a 2 players module in a existing project (that was not made for that module), sorry.
I suggest, you watch the tutorial... and follow for a 1 player (as the tutorial).

Then, if you want to test the 2 players modules... download, install, and use the demo project I linked in this topic.
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
wiggy

Post by wiggy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 am

Thanks for responding. Yeah definitely a beginner...

So I had done the first set of NESMaker tutorials already, and had a single player project / game in NesMaker when I did this.
What wasn't obvious to me was that if I did this install, I needed to make sure no project was loaded.

Can I just uninstall this from this project, or is the project pretty much hosed and I need to start over?
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm

For your project, you can import the module that corresponds to it (if you followed the adventure tutorial, re-import the basic_adventure module... via the "project" menu "import a module").
And for the 2 players, just start a new project based on a 2 players module :p
-----
wiggy

Post by wiggy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Whoohoo, it compiles and plays now... thanks!

I'm a little confused though, as I stated, I thought the modules were "added to NESMaker", not the current project. That was a little scary because I thought I broke NESMaker, lol.

So bare with me, and just to clarify when making a new project.
1.) Open NESMaker, import appropriate module (1 player adventure or 2 player single screen, etc).
2.) Add palettes, inputs, etc. etc..
3.) Save Project

But I'm wondering whats the best way to work on 2 different projects, lets say a "Scrolling Platform" project and a "Scrolling adventure" project"?
I'm assuming something like this:
1.) Open NESMaker, load project "myScrollingGame"
2.) Import appropriate module for this game type
3.) Update palettes, inputs, etc. etc...
4.) Save Project
5.) Close NESMaker
6.) Repeat step1 and load project "myPlatformGame"
7.) Repeat 2-4

Sorry for the detail just really need to understand how it works because I thought I broke it, lol
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 pm

The process is... you have NESmaker, and different modules.
1) You make a new project and (in the NEW project dialog) choose which module your project will be based on (basic scrolling platformer)...
2) Then you can make your graphics, palettes, ... monsters/objects/screens...
3) You stay with your module... you don't need to import another one (just if your an advance user and know what you are doing).

Same for a 2 players game, you can chose adventure or simple platformer 2 player game. When your project is started, don't import a new module... you will have some bad issues (mostly with your custom scripts and your input scripts)

If you want more infos... watch ALL the tutorial videos... and be curious, check the older ones on the youTube channel.
-----
wiggy

Post by wiggy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:19 am

Ahh, I got it now, so you load the module you want when you START building a project, not during, lol :D
Thanks for the explanation! And yup, definitely still going through the tutorials.
PewkoGames

Post by PewkoGames » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Not sure if its been mentioned before, but is it possible to make a 2 player VS game? Where 2 players fight against each other? I got an idea for a game like that.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:59 pm

PewkoGames wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm
Not sure if its been mentioned before, but is it possible to make a 2 player VS game? Where 2 players fight against each other? I got an idea for a game like that.
Like this game? : viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2613
-----