New Mapper30 boards UNROM512

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey guys,

Got the opportunity to test the prototypes of the new Mapper30 boards that Broke Studio will have for sale (via their website) in 2020.

The boards are of very good quality. And fully compatible with NESmaker (-> "Make the Cart").
Also tested with a bunch of NESmaker games too (Troll burner for the animated tiles, Doodle World & Dimension shift for the scrolling, Artix DnD for the saving features,... Underground Adventure for 2 players, ...)

Broke Studio is a french studio. They developed Twin Dragons and they distribute Micro Mages, Nebs n Debs, Project Blue,... in Europe.
So for European NESmakers, it would cost less than importing from INL lives (USA). Prices have not yet been announced.

IMG-7161.jpg

(note: on that prototype board, I sold myself the vertical mirroring jumper... it's the reason the soldering looks ugly :p But Broke Studio would ship already prepared ones... plug-flash-and-play!)

dale_coop

Staff member
The mirroring setting is a jumper on the board (to solder). As you can see, on the photo, I used the vertical mirroring on mine (the one used by NESmaker).

Mugi

yeah, i saw it.
the INL boards have the jumper too, but they also support setting the mirroring without soldering anything to the board.
i use this with my own cartridge (nesmaker's flashing script is hardcoded to not change the mapper setting, so it has to be modified for that.)
Paul gave me a script that allows changing the mirroring mode when flashing through the flasher instead of soldering it, which is what im curious about.

it's a pretty important feature for a development cartridge since if you work on multiple things, you might not want to repeatedly solder the board to change the mirroring heh.

dale_coop

Staff member
Interesting... But I don't think there is... else Broke Studio would have told me. I'll check that.

dale_coop

Staff member
I get that confirmed...
The mirroring are set only via the jumpers on the board. No software Settings.

dale_coop

Staff member
The COVID situation delayed everything... every projects...
Their boards are not yet available. But I think in a few weeks (at least before the end of the year), it should be.
I will post here as soon as we can buy them.

Jonny

Pauldalyjr said:
Awesome! very curious on the price of these.

Me too. I was considering making my own boards but it might not be worth the time if they end up being a reasonable price shipped from France.

I worked it out and a UNROM512 can be made for half the price of INFLives board but obviously has to be assembled / soldered.

dale_coop

Staff member
Don't know the exact price yet... but as far I know (having talked a lot with Broke Studio) those boards ready-to-use should be around 10/12€.
We'll know soon, when his product will be available.

PasseGaming

The infinite lives boards are only 16$, I don't know if I'd bother with anything else unless it is at a great deal as I've come to trust their products.

Jonny

PasseGaming said:
The infinite lives boards are only 16$, I don't know if I'd bother with anything else unless it is at a great deal as I've come to trust their products.

Depends on buyers location. Euro peeps can buy from Broke Studio with less shipping and import duty. I messaged Morphcat a while back and they only had excellent things to say about their services. Looking forward to trying them out.

dale_coop

Staff member
I think the boards will be sold around 12~14$... and the shipping for Europe will be cheap (anyone who bought from an european company knows that... it's almost half of the USA shipping rate and time).

Jonny

Have you heard anything more about the boards from Broke Studio Dale?

I keep checking the website but maybe they've been on and sold out?

mouse spirit

Ive messed with Muramasa boards and they are fine, but the site help and info is not fine.Basically says if you
don't understand this board by looking at it, don't bother. The boards are quality as far as my
experience but i can't say in the long run yet.

dale_coop

Staff member
We would need ready-to-use mapper30 boards. For NESmaker users, you buy them, you use them directly. No need to be an engineer or good at electronics to be allowed to buy them.
INL boards are great for that, but it's a small shop and there is so many orders.

Jonny

mouse spirit said:
Ive messed with Muramasa boards and they are fine, but the site help and info is not fine.Basically says if you
don't understand this board by looking at it, don't bother. The boards are quality as far as my
experience but i can't say in the long run yet.

I know what you mean. I also found the website to read a bit like that. Although they do specify 'for use with nesmaker' on their unrom 512 PCB I figured that for a similar price there's plug-n-play ones available. That's why I'm so eager and impatient for the broke studio ones to come out. They're probably busy making games because they have some really good titles now.

Top Bottom