Unable to load/save (CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE)

Hello,

I've already sent this to NESmaker's support mail, but I am still waiting for their reply. If someone here could shed light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

After doing a clean install of Windows 10, I redownloaded the latest version of NESmaker. When clicking on Activate, I remember getting some weird error message. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what it was, because it was mainly a bunch of code with maybe a graphic of a big x on the left side. I think it crashed the program.

Upon relaunching NESmaker though, everything seemed normal. It was activated, and I had access to everything.

Now, every time I try to load or save, or just open some image, I get the following message: "CLSID (DC(bunch of numbers) COM blablablabla" and it ends with "(CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE))". I can click ok, and return to NESmaker. It doesn't crash it, but I cannot load, save or open anything.

Is there any way I can restart the registration process without having to clean install Windows again? I suspect I would have to erase something in the registry.

p.s. I hadn't used NESmaker for quite a while, therefore the last version I had used before the current one was from several months ago. Therefore, I cannot say with 100% certainty that the error is related to the registration crash.

Thank you for your help.

dale_coop

Staff member
Fresh start... desavtivate your antivirus. Unzip in your Documents folder (or Downloads or Desktop). Add the NESMaker folder to the exclusion list of your antivirus.
(is a 32bit x86? or a 64bit x64 Windows?) If it's a 32bits, you will need to replace your dna.dll with the 32bit one.

Are your trying to open a old project? or creating anew project?

dale_coop, thanks for the reply.

>Fresh start... desavtivate your antivirus. Unzip in your Documents folder (or Downloads or Desktop). Add the NESMaker folder to the exclusion list of your antivirus.
I always put NESmaker in my Documents folder. I tried deactivating my antivirus, but to no avail. Anyway, if this whole problem comes from when the activation crashed, it is too late to do anything, unless I can erase my activation from my PC. So I would need to know where to do that.

>is a 32bit x86? or a 64bit x64 Windows?
I'm using Windows 10 64-bit.

>Are your trying to open a old project? or creating anew project?
Everything that usually shows a mini-explorer throws me the error, including Load Project, Save Project, Save Project As, choosing an emulator, Choose the Working Folder, Load a BMP file, etc.

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok. It's a not activation problem.
The problem is more, the open/select/treeview... dialogs and controls that crash. (when not activated those controls are not loaded).

Windows 10 64bits sounds good for me....
How are your Windows Visual Effects ? Have you disabled them maybe? (in System Properties window, the Settings for Performance). it could be the cause of the crash.
Try activate them to seee if it's that (set the "let Windows choose the best settings" option or "best appearance" option).

I found the solution! dale_coop, you were indeed very close to the answer, except that in Windows 10, at least, playing with "let Windows choose", "best appearance" or "best performance" does not work.

The solution is to TURN OFF HIGH CONTRAST MODE and go back to "normal" my-eyes-are-burning-white mode :( :( :( :( :( :( :( . This means that every time I want to use NESmaker, I need to switch off High Contast mode. Please note that previous versions of NESmaker did not have this error, so I still have hope that this bug will be taken care of for the next version of NESmaker.

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh ok... gootd to know.
Which version are you using? I thought nesmaker 4.1.3 or more was supporting the high contrast mode :S weird

dale_coop

Staff member
You souhld update (eh 4.1.4 is the official release)
First, update to 4.1.1 from here: http://joshuafallon.com/nesmaker/?fbclid=IwAR1ZQaSV0CURv4vQv02i6BcKAM2u8zTpvwXfeye5uCeubdqc7lNThc2drnc (don't forget to apply the ZipScript in nesmaker 4.1.1)
Then, you can do "Help > check for updates" in the tool and get the new latest version!

It's still 4.1.0 on http://makenesgames.com/

Not sure why the NESmaker team doesn't use their own official paid-for website to their users updated. Their ways are still baffling to me.

dale_coop

Staff member
vrbandwagon said:
It's still 4.1.0 on http://makenesgames.com/

Not sure why the NESmaker team doesn't use their own official paid-for website to their users updated. Their ways are still baffling to me.

Will be update soon I think (Joe might want spending some time to fix some other small bugs and rebuild a full zip)

Top Bottom