On obtaining copyright

Joe_Cracker

The most important feature of NES Maker I can think is not a development tool but for when you are finished or nearly finished. For those who want to do a commercial release simplified information on filing for a copyright for your game. Atleast in the United States.

slobu

Not sure if professional use of NES Maker will ever be the primary focus. But, I found some relevant information here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Copyright-Software

Joe_Cracker

slobu said:
Not sure if professional use of NES Maker will ever be the primary focus. But, I found some relevant information here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Copyright-Software

That was surely needed, thanks.

slobu

No problem! I was afraid my answer might sound curt. It's hard to find relevant information.

I personally just make sure my trademark is in the games splash screen. If a reproduction maker or ROM site starts pirating my work I've got a little more edge. But, the problem is always having the money to litigate.

bluefoxicy

In the United States, copyright is automatic (and too long—it should be 7 years, plus $1,000(+inflation) renewal for 7 more, then thereafter double the original renewal price each 1 year until you can't afford it; instead it's author's life + 99 years).

Make sure you distribute license terms with your software.

wallmasterr

Just found this now, was looking for it a while ago. Is this linked anywhere on the buying license flow? This was a useful read. This needs to be more upfront

Jonny

In general, I wish information wasn't scattered around so much. Seems like there's a lot of Facebook stuff, non Facebookers don't get to see, different official nesmaker URLs (some now dead links). Embedded tutorial videos (for 4.5) and different Vimeo tutorials to the YouTube ones. I'm guessing the new summer bootcamp site is going to be the one stop place. I hope so because it's super confusing and fragmented at the moment, especially for newbies.

Top Bottom