Dimension Shift

dale_coop

Staff member
Mugi said:
in addition that, it came to my attention that while the INL cartridges used by nesmaker to run games on real hardware do support all consoles (PAL/NTSC) the nesmaker engine's ggsound implementation is actually hardcoded into NTSC mode, causing the audio to go off when the game is played on a PAL console.

this has now been rectified too and my game now runs and sounds correct regardless of the region of system it is played in.

Interesting! Would you share that part with us? Maybe write a small tutorial for the communicaty maybe?

drexegar

in addition that, it came to my attention that while the INL cartridges used by nesmaker to run games on real hardware do support all consoles (PAL/NTSC) the nesmaker engine's ggsound implementation is actually hardcoded into NTSC mode, causing the audio to go off when the game is played on a PAL console.

this has now been rectified too and my game now runs and sounds correct regardless of the region of system it is played in.
[/quote]

Very Awesome, I notice that when I try to run my game in PAL, in the future I look foward to this code for making music sound fine with PAL!

Great work! Your really pushing the nes code wise! Cant wait to be on your level in 10 years lol.

Mugi

I will write up something for the audio tomorrow when i get to my pc... Its a fairly easy thing to fix.

dale_coop

Staff member
Great, thank you for sharing with the community
, Mugi <3
Ps: for my game, I change the header and use the ggsound PAL constant, by hand, each time that I plan to flash on cart to play on my PAL NES :p
So if it could be somehow automatic ;)

Mugi

It will be.... Atleast from what i tested with emulators, i dont have the cart or flasher to test on hardware

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh really? You don't have it? It's so awesome seeing your game flashed on a real NES cart running an a real NES console <3 <3 <3

Mugi

I cant even afford to eat properly at my current situation so buying one is out of the question for now. It was hard enough for me to scrape together that 36 dollars to buy nesmaker -.-

Mugi

well that's done too, though im quite sure my friend hates me now....
for anyone who's interested of the fades, the code is there, but it's quite broken as it is, and getting it up and running is a nauseating session of code reading.
it also eats a sizeable chunk of bank 1F and depending on how you use it, the macro for the actual fade piles up in bank 14 really fast. it's also interfering with the nesmaker scroll engine's scroll to an extend... I'll have to see how usable it
turns out to be.

https://youtu.be/qmq0itn9ZiQ

drexegar

Mugi said:
for anyone who's interested of the fades, the code is there, but it's quite broken as it is, and getting it up and running is a nauseating session of code reading.
it also eats a sizeable chunk of bank 1F and depending on how you use it, the macro for the actual fade piles up in bank 14 really fast. it's also interfering with the nesmaker scroll engine's scroll to an extend... I'll have to see how usable it
turns out to be.

Awesome! Cool Job messing around with code!

I have no clue about the fade code, so I try writing one as an AI script on a monster and it worked. I just read off the values and take away $#10 for each time the ai loops and when its under $#10 (all the dark values from 00 to 0C) I tell it to stop and switch to 0F (black).
now I do have an idea for fading in (grab current color values, turn them 0Fblack and then add 10 up until it reaches the original vaule), but i'm saving that for later, ill post the fading animation on the nezumi WIP.

Mugi

im quite sure this could be written in a more efficient way than it was done to be honest, mine simply revived the existing one and the macro that goes with it.
it's a bit flexible on how it can be used but then again, it's also cluttered to hell and back.

the problem that was introduced regarding fades and scrolling is that if you're doing fading during a scroll, and you switch a nametable, the old value seems to get stored on the earlier one, and the area of screen stops fading.
in the autoscrolling part of my stage selection, this revealed itself as a seam of black tiles that got loaded before the fade completed and was simply stuck there.

aside that it seems to do it's job so far.

drexegar

Mugi said:
im quite sure this could be written in a more efficient way than it was done to be honest, mine simply revived the existing one and the macro that goes with it.
it's a bit flexible on how it can be used but then again, it's also cluttered to hell and back.

the problem that was introduced regarding fades and scrolling is that if you're doing fading during a scroll, and you switch a nametable, the old value seems to get stored on the earlier one, and the area of screen stops fading.
in the autoscrolling part of my stage selection, this revealed itself as a seam of black tiles that got loaded before the fade completed and was simply stuck there.

aside that it seems to do it's job so far.

Sounds like a headache, but looks great especially with the pose on the character!

Mugi

ah yeah the pose is cool!
i had a bit of a fight to fit that in because im rapidly running out of animation and action states on my player but in the end i made it fit.
it's a nice little touch i think xD

acaudel

This is awesome! I really love the graphics and the music. Perhaps limiting the "full tileset" technique to smaller areas (maybe even individual static rooms) would help minimize any repetitive feeling, (which really isn't so bad as-is). Anyway, I think it looks great!

Mugi

oh yeah, im not going to use the technique i used on the forest stage that much, but for that stage, since it will be a really short one, i just figured out, why not :p
the rest of the stages will be build more procedurally with varying tilesets instead of one gigantic repeating pattern :p

drexegar

Mugi said:
oh yeah, im not going to use the technique i used on the forest stage that much, but for that stage, since it will be a really short one, i just figured out, why not :p
the rest of the stages will be build more procedurally with varying tilesets instead of one gigantic repeating pattern :p

Yeah i tell ya i feel a bit closed in with the limited bg space, but since paths are working again ive using them to save bg space.

Look forward to more screen shots of your game.

Mugi

the compo demo propably only has the temple stage as a playable stage so there's not much more to show at this point.
what i've shown is the only stuff that's in working order at the moment and will stay so until the compo is over.

Mugi

took me a pile of extra input writing to get this here but now the wall grab is not tilting and im fairly pleased with the accuracy of the collision detection with the tiles :p

https://youtu.be/ippykjIB5P8

Mugi said:
turns out to be.

Did you manage to get screen-to-screen fades working?
I have been digging around but haven't found any info on how.
Not afraid of quite a bit of code work.

Top Bottom