Manekineko Ramen Adventure (WIP)

pit.baldriz

Manekineko Ramen Adventure (WIP)

Post by pit.baldriz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:30 am

Hello guys!

I´ve been working on my first NES game, a platformer that has a cute lucky cat as the hero. I´m thinking of calling the game "Manekineko´s Ramen Adventure", as the little cat should try to find who stole his favorite ramen.

I just started following the scroller platform tutorial. Still has a lot to improve, but I´m quite proud of the results (don´t know how to code!). Here you can take a look:

Image Image
Image Image

Maybe someone can help me with some doubts I have:
  • I want to animate the items the hero collects (yellow coins). But I can´t figure it how.
  • Used the default clouds path just to try it. It worked OK on the first screens, but then it broke and only shows a simple 1 tile cloud. On the 2nd image is quite clear, at the left the path is working and in the right is broken. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Bucket Mouse

Re: Manekineko Ramen Adventure (WIP)

Post by Bucket Mouse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:49 am

The problem is that the coins are tiles, and there's no way to animate tiles yet. It may come in a future update, but that could take a while.

There's a glitch in the current build with scrolling not displaying paths properly. Someone posted a solution elsewhere in the forums, search for it.
pit.baldriz

Post by pit.baldriz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Bucket Mouse wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:49 am
The problem is that the coins are tiles, and there's no way to animate tiles yet. It may come in a future update, but that could take a while.

There's a glitch in the current build with scrolling not displaying paths properly. Someone posted a solution elsewhere in the forums, search for it.
Thanks for your help. I´ll search for the solution for the glitch paths. As for the animated tiles, I can see on some demos that people figure it out a way to do it. Maybe they are animating something else in order to emulate that behavior?
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:05 pm

animated tiles can be done but it requires quite a lot of code and that's not yet implemented in nesmaker, i believe my game is currently the only one doing actual tile animations via chr ram bankswitching.
another way is to simply use animated sprite objects in place of tiles to obtain animations, but this has several things that need to be taken into consideration.

1) slowdowns.
-- you can only have so many objects on screen before the game starts slowing down significantly. I believe the vanilla engine can handle around 5 objects or so before that happens.

2) sprite limit.
-- you have a maximum of 64 sprite tiles on screen at once, and only 8 at once on the save horizontal row before flickering starts to happen.

taking those into consideration while looking at your screenshots, you can pretty much rule out using objects for your coins, as there are simply too many of them.
pit.baldriz

Post by pit.baldriz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Mugi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:05 pm
animated tiles can be done but it requires quite a lot of code and that's not yet implemented in nesmaker, i believe my game is currently the only one doing actual tile animations via chr ram bankswitching.
another way is to simply use animated sprite objects in place of tiles to obtain animations, but this has several things that need to be taken into consideration.

1) slowdowns.
-- you can only have so many objects on screen before the game starts slowing down significantly. I believe the vanilla engine can handle around 5 objects or so before that happens.

2) sprite limit.
-- you have a maximum of 64 sprite tiles on screen at once, and only 8 at once on the save horizontal row before flickering starts to happen.

taking those into consideration while looking at your screenshots, you can pretty much rule out using objects for your coins, as there are simply too many of them.
Thanks for all the explanation! It helps a lot to understand a little bit more on how NesMaker works. I´ll leave the coins fixed then :)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 am

Here's jorotroid fix for the paths in the scrolling module: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2174&p=13127#p13127
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
pit.baldriz

Post by pit.baldriz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 am

Thanks for all your help guys! I´m trying to figure it out how to finish this game. Check my advances: