Working Title "Babysitter"

westcoastvagabond

Re: Working Title "Babysitter"

Post by westcoastvagabond » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Thank you! As predicted, November took a lot of my focus (and I still only reached 40,000 words of my novel, but I got a lot of plot holes filled in and that's beside the point, anyway). "Babysitter" did see some foundational work. I have the story expanded to something of a (yet another) Zelda clone, while still trying to keep the creepy, urban/suburban Lynch vibe.

Some time has been put into learning Famitracker, and deciding what I want the soundtrack to be (ominous bass, crickets, occasional snatches of out-of-tune nursery rhymes). I still have to put in the work on that, but I now both know what I'm doing and what I want to do.

Mostly, I've been plotting and planning and taking notes on what I want, eventually, and what order I should tackle it in. I've got notebooks filling up with maps and ideas for monsters and items and weapons. I'm aiming for three melee weapons (knife/bat/axe) on the B-button, three ranged weapons, with limited ammo, (revolver/rifle/shotgun) on the A-button, and a first-aid kit on Select, leaving Start for pause. I don't think a menu will be necessary, as the weapons will pretty much be a linear upgrade progression discovered in different locations around the world. I would also like to expand the five hearts in the HUD to ten HP with a half-heart system (and, ultimately, 20 with an Armor upgrade), but that'll come later.

For December, I want to crack down into Assembly and get my weapons working right. After I have weapons and damage (both on the monsters and the player) working, I'll be ready to build out the world, I think. After combat, I think my biggest remaining hurdle will be implementing a shop and money system. From there, it should mostly be crafting in the NESMaker interface until I have everything built and tweaked for balancing.

Hope everyone's projects (and holidays) are going well, as well!
Death is no barrier to science! :idea:
red moon

Post by red moon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:43 am

Nice, sounds like you have a plan for moving forward. I am excited to see the next phase!
westcoastvagabond

Post by westcoastvagabond » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:43 am

So, mid-December update, and boy I have learned nothing good about ASM. Did learn my way around Notepad++, though. Very nice program.

Part of the problem is that the wrap-up on my NaNoWriMo project has taken more than expected, part is that the podcast I work on is in a crunch time, but most was me getting lost in the joy of creating a ~Lovely Document~

You see, in order to write a melee attack subroutine, I need to know how much damage I'm dealing, and how many hit points I'm dealing with (and no, I couldn't just work with some arbitrary values until the code works and fine tune the logic later, don't ask me why not lol). From there, it was a spreadsheet and all kinds of damage calculations and monster tier rankings and a whole bunch of worldbuilder's disease overall.
LoVeLy-DoCuMeNt.png
LoVeLy-DoCuMeNt.png (355.27 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Still, things that needed to be done at some point, and now was just when they called out to be done. I have pulled up some of the code in Notepad++, and started looking at what NESmaker currently does do. I've got a book on ASM, and I understand the mechanics of it, but the logic of how it makes a game (like what part of the routine draws the sprite?) still manages to evade me. It's tempting to just go back to Famitracker and graphics tinkering, but I know I can't put it off forever.

I'm just finding combat especially perplexing because it no longer works remotely like the tutorial videos. Is there a way that I can download the old 4.1.0 code for study, or just to "downgrade" to something that's already closer to what I want?

Anyway, moral of the story is, no progress to show and I feel like I'm starting to lose steam even as I develop the project further. Hope that everybody's holidays are going well, and wish all a Happy New Year.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:02 pm

westcoastvagabond wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:43 am
I'm just finding combat especially perplexing because it no longer works remotely like the tutorial videos. Is there a way that I can download the old 4.1.0 code for study, or just to "downgrade" to something that's already closer to what I want?
About the Mele weapon...if you want to use an object, like in the 4.0, take a look at that topic: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1777
A lot of things have already been discussed and some answers might be on the forum ;)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
My son's game: KUBO 3
red moon

Post by red moon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:21 pm

This is an intense spread of values, well done. that will save some time setting things up that’s for sure. Can’t wait to see more!
westcoastvagabond

Post by westcoastvagabond » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Of COURSE I would get nothing done over the Holidays... -_-
dale_coop wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:02 pm
About the Mele weapon...if you want to use an object, like in the 4.0, take a look at that topic: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1777
A lot of things have already been discussed and some answers might be on the forum ;)
Thank you very much for the lead! I have been looking around the forum, and found some information, though I haven't gotten around to working it out yet. I will definitely take a look at the topic suggested.

As for the future.... I'm having a little total reorganization of my life for the foreseeable. I'm not sure how much work I'll be able to put in, and when. I've already packed my bookshelf with the 6502 manual from the 70s, and all of my gaming hardware. It's a whole long story, with heartbreak, bankruptcy, death, and hungry cats.

Anyway, December was a wash, January is being a struggle, February promises some serious shakeup, March marks the earliest that anything may be resolved, and by the end of 2020 I intend to abandon my home state for greener pastures.

But somewhere, in all of that, and maybe even not until 2021, I intend to make this game happen!!
westcoastvagabond

Post by westcoastvagabond » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:35 pm

red moon wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:21 pm
This is an intense spread of values, well done. that will save some time setting things up that’s for sure. Can’t wait to see more!
Heh, yeah, it was a fun abuse of OpenOffice Calc. I opted for a low-resolution because I was more showing the extent of the spreadsheet than the specifics of the numbers (which are subject to change).

Also, you know, spoilers and whatnot. :p

But it's an old habit. I kind of applied knowledge of Craps to Dungeons and Dragons once upon a time, and now I just get such a kick out of tinkering with the odds.
westcoastvagabond

Post by westcoastvagabond » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:10 pm

OK, that was an exciting announcement about the upcoming update! I like the look of this scrolling update, might be useful to me (might not be; not sure I mind the single-screen adventure).

Been sidetracked. Moved house, lots of Life happened, and that update announcement was just about the kick in the pants I needed to think about "Babysitter" again. Of course, it would be a start-over, but I can keep most of the graphics for now; it's still a pre-alpha, anyway.

Too many irons in my fire... But it's on the list!