Fight of the Phoenix (demo available)

Lother

Hello everybody,

It's been a long time since I've posted of this forum.

The first NESMaker contest has begun and it's a good occasion for me to get back to making NES games.

Since My first project "Fisti N' Uranus" cannot enter into the competition for obvious reasons, I began a new project.

It will be a scrolling action platformer starring Lotherina, a fire elementarist who has to fight against a whole horde of ice monsters and other evil.

I want the main character to have the ability to charge her spells (but she cannot move while doing so) leading to three levels of spells (basic, charged and Maxed out) leading to exponential damages depending of the charge level.
And to make that power useful, we cannot spam the attack button for the basic attack.

I will need of course help for the coding and the music and sound effects. I will handle the art.

Edit n°1: The fist good demo is here. It has no sounds nor music nor the final win screen, but it works perfectly.

Edit n°2: Still no music or sounds, but the win screen is here.

Edit n°3: The demo has now music and sounds thanks to TakukkaNinja! And I've also made a few adjustements in terms of action timers.

Lother

So,

I have some problem with the scrolling. The game is scrolling fine but not the HUD. The strange thing is the fact the HUD does work.

I still need to implement the attack (which will be a distance attack with a special animation), make sure the walking animation does trigger when touching the ground, work on the backgrounds, add new ennemies and create a boss.

I also need somebody good creating 8-bit music and sounds. Any help is welcomed.

Edit: The old demo has been removed.

TurtleRescueNES

I can't play your game at work, so I cannot see what your hud is or is not doing. But I will ask the question that usually points to the problem... Did you watch the Sprite Zero video? Having any of those settings wrong will mess with your Hud.

Lother

jsherman said:
I can't play your game at work, so I cannot see what your hud is or is not doing. But I will ask the question that usually points to the problem... Did you watch the Sprite Zero video? Having any of those settings wrong will mess with your Hud.

Thanks, The scrolling works perfectly now. I just have to implement the shooting mechanic now... Knowing that I'm using the scrolling platformer module, which shooting script should I use for my character to lauch fire?

Also, I made an idle animation for my character and it stays on the same frame, but plays normally when holding Up, any ideas how to correct that.

dale_coop

Staff member
Lother said:
Also, I made an idle animation for my character and it stays on the same frame, but plays normally when holding Up, any ideas how to correct that.

You could try this:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=10294#p10294

Lother

Here's the main title. (I must at least show something while I work on it)

game_013.png

Lother

Here's the latest demo of my game. It is visible in the first post. It has no sounds nor music (I will need the help of someone else to do it) and the Win screen isn't finished but everything else is in place.

dale_coop

Staff member
Very good demo. Love the graphics... I like the controls too.
Note: your text seems to be longer than your text box. I 'd suggest to increase its height.

Lother

Ok, now I'm working on the intro movie, I already have the storyboard, half of the graphics and the texts. I now have to find and include the functionnal scripts for the AI actions (teleport to another room; advance text) and then ake everything flow together.

Lother

Here's a sneakpeak of level 2.

game_017.png

"Falling down doesn't always mean death, but it won't be easy peasy going back up."

Lother

new_sp10.jpg

While waiting for my new license key, I've decided to rework the sprites of my game, in order to better optimise them.

Top Bottom