silver island on the nes!

digit2600

Hey all, so I figured I'd post this here... my baby. I spent three years figuring out the ropes on this game. When I started it, I knew nothing about pixel art, very little about coding... but I knew I wanted to make this game as I had the idea for it since I was a kid... anywhoo... a few years later, this nesMaker thing is happening, I'm now a substantially better pixel artist than I was years ago, and thanks to the fb group in particular, I've learned and still am learning more about the nes than I've ever known, even though I've been playing it since it was released..

That said, I'm ready to port an nes version, which I feel will be far better than the original, despite the limitations... which I will find a way to work around even if it takes me another three years.

This here is a long play done by a YouTuber called MonkeyStein. The game never really took off and I think it's probably because it shows that visually I didn't really know how to achieve what I was going for... I didn't understand screen resolution, constraints, etc...but I did make sure to get the controls and pacing nice and tight. Years of playing, studying and obsessing over the castlevania series will do that.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka8174Cvono

JakeSpencer

I really like the watercolor filter effect used on the player character. That's a neat style you don't see much. Interested in seeing how that can be translated to an 8-bit environment. I think it could look similar, given the small color palette required. Good luck with the port!

digit2600

Grazi dude. So far, the sprites are actually coming, I think, way cooler looking than the original. The small color pallets actually help more than hinder....time will tell.

Top Bottom