Flea Game and some help needed (demo)

wallmasterr

(Demo Update)
Im about to show this off at a local play party so thought i would share progress here too.
You play as a flea who cant stop jumping.
fleascreenshots.png

Heres a quick trailer
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwXujUaUkSQ[/media]

Heres the Demo
http://lowtek.co.uk/images/flea/flea_21_02_19.nes

Have a play tell me what you think and if u spot any bugs that I can fix easily.

-----

Hi can seem to find a general questions section of form so il just ask here.
I was working on my game on my laptop and wanted to start version control with git before I got into to much detail and so I could work on the game on my big pc.
Uploaded to githib worked fine on my laptop but get errors on my pc.
I set everything the same and it ses this.
nemakererror2.PNG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3s34wd7lw07qm6/nemakererror2.PNG?dl=0
press enter and
nesmaker%20error.PNG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ur5xdnaqt03nd1j/nesmaker error.PNG?dl=0
What am I doing wrong.
Projects and the main program still seems a bit intertwined in my head dono how to separate them.

Heres my attempt at simepl level and pallets so far but cant realy do any more till i know iv not broke my project or how to fix it if it dose break.

flee1.PNG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6atsn4y2s1shrfw/flee1.PNG?dl=0
In this game, you play as a flee who never stops jumping on an adventure to find out what is wrong with the greate beast.

Thanks for any help Ally

Attachments

• flee1.PNG
    flee1.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 7,114

dale_coop

Staff member
Seems you have the jump script assigned more than once in your project.
Check your "Scripts > Input Scripts" list, if you have more than one, remove one of them (right clic > remove)
(Or maybe you assign this script to a tile type too ? or monster action ? in the "Project Settings > Script settings")

Usually you can't have a script assigned more than once to your project (because the labels in the scripts need to be unique...)

wallmasterr

Thanks, I tried removing some of these scripts but just got different errors. I then tried reverting all my changes, of which there should have been none but were hundreds. (is there a git ignore file I'm missing?)
Anyway then i play about with some scripts and it broke in a different way.
I'm trying to make the character always jump, so when it hits a solid block it triggers a jump. I tried by just assigning the "a_simple_jump.asm" to the tile collision in the Script Settings but it just gives me an error.
"
C:\Users\PC\Documents\GitHub\flea\fleeNES\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData>asm
6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\a_simple_jump.asm(22): Label already defined.
Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\a_simple_jump.asm(31): Label already defined.
Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\InputScripts\a_simple_jump.asm(47): Label already defined.
demo.txt written.

C:\Users\PC\Documents\GitHub\flea\fleeNES\NESmaker_4_1_0_GOOD\GameEngineData>pause
Press any key to continue . . ."
"
how should i be going about this, most other game play elements in my game are stalk but the difference in the always jumping.
I assume it should be like a bouncy platform and iv seen this in other nesmaker games so know it should be possible.

dale_coop

Staff member
So I presume you assigned the "a_simple_jump.asm" script to "Scripts > Input Scripts" (for your press "A" button) and assigned it to your "Tile collision XX" (maybe the "01", for the solid) in the "Project Settings > Script Settings" ?
It will not work for this script, because you can't have labels more than once.

So I see 2 possiblities in your case:

1) you duplicate the "a_simple_jump.asm" script (as "tile_simple_jump.asm" for example) and rename all the labels in that script (all the "notStandingOnJumpThroughPlatform" to "notStandingOnJumpThroughPlatform2", all the "canJump" to "canJump2", all tehe "dontJump" to "dontJump2", ...). Then, you will be able to add/use this script in your project.

2) you modify your "a_simple_jump.asm" script, adding a new label at the begining:
Code:
startJump:
;; FROM here the rest of the a_simple_jump.asm script:
; a jumps
Then make a new "tile_simple_jump.asm" script, with just a :
Code:
JSR startJump
RTS
(This script will execute the code from the "a_simple_jump.asm" script.)
And assign that script to your "Tile collisions 01" in the "Project Settings > Script Settings".

I don't guaranty it will have the results you want (gameplay)... but THIS IS how to assign a script more than once in your project.

wallmasterr

thanks, this sounds promising. Il try.
But is there some way to not make every file get updated in git when i do a build? Its gona be impossible to keep track of things.

wallmasterr

Thanks, Ye that sounds about right, loave meat boy and celeste, not heard of slimesan, will check it out. The idea is to a few simple enemies and obstacles and get loads of dificult levels made :D
Not sure about this art style yet but itl do for now, Still getting used to pallets and limited colors.

Iv got a couple editor questions. Can you copy paste overworld screens, or move them once you've created them ? and can u use multiple tilesets in 1 screen, i thought mabie that's what groups were for but didn't seem to work?

You can save screens to import them later.

And you can have 1 set of "background tiles" and one set of "screen tiles" on each screen.

wallmasterr

Thanks , didn't notice u could save scenes, this will help.

Was thinking the other day, is there support for cheat codes so we can do level skips and infinite life modes?

dale_coop

Staff member
Awesome! I like your graphics <3 Can't wait to see more.

About cheat codes... in the 4.0, MistSonata had implemented a K0NAMl code-like system: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?t=909
But not sure it would work as it, with the 4.1

You can copy and paste screens. Just have to select screen, the ctrl+c, and then ctrl+v hovering over where you want to paste the screen. You have to be a bit deliberate about it though. Sometimes there's like a delay or something.

wallmasterr

Cool that cheat code will be useful in the future.
And ye I rewatched some tutorial and found there is a copy paste, I feel it should be on right click menu too though and be able to just drag the screen around. Is there a feature request page/form?

Also is there an easy way of doing multiple warp outs in 1 screen? I want a kinda Mario pipe selection type thing for my level select.
fleeOverworld1.gif

http://lowtek.co.uk/images/gifs/fleeOverworld1.gif
And is there a concept of depth for if I want the character to fall through a tube in a level, make the pipe render in front?

dale_coop

Staff member
Very very cute graphics. So much loving it!
For the suggestions on the software or engine: http://nesmakers.com/viewforum.php?f=49

For your pipes, there is not depth implemented for tiles in NESMaker. So currently, it would be kinda difficult to do what you want...
For multiple warps... not implemented. Not impossible, maybe some scripts/code inspired by that: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=9717#p9717

wallmasterr

I'm having some troubles with the warp tiles. I set the in and out tiles in screen info and set a tile in the level to warp collision. It tries to take me somewhere but not to the screen I wanted. is there something special I need to do to make it work?

dale_coop

Staff member
I think there is a problem with the Warps... try replacing your WarpToScreen.asm script with this one, to check if it works better (as usual, make a copy of the original script before):

Code:
; cpx player1_object
; BNE dontDoWarp_tile
; LDA warpMap
; sta currentMap
; clc
; ADC #$01
; STA temp
; GoToScreen warpToScreen, temp

; dontDoWarp_tile

LDA #$00
STA newGameState

LDA warpMap
 sta currentMap
 clc
 ADC #$01
 STA temp
 GoToScreen warpToScreen, temp, #$02
 LDA #$00
 STA playerToSpawn
 LDX player1_object
 DeactivateCurrentObject
 LDA #$01
 STA loadObjectFlag

LDA mapPosX
STA newX
LDA mapPosY
STA newY

wallmasterr

Iv had a couple days of actual dev and thinking more about the back story and characters.
heres some of my quick sketches.

Dy9wesBWkAYCEY8.jpg:large

DzC7vUqWkAA85ad.jpg:large

DzIK9bMXcAAyXpI.jpg:large

sorry dono how to make these images smaller.

Anyway, I also hit a wall in not knowing how to respawn the player after death.
Thought it was in the game objects played death settings tab, iv tried changing most of these option to reset game , win game , lose game , set to warp and none seem to work, player just stays dead and cant do anything.
Iv edited my handle player death script right now to just reset the game but that's not ideal.

And where dose it set the tile after a collectible object is picked up, iv got the jump script on all the bg tiles so when it replaces the tile after being collected it no longer has the jump script and character no longer jumps. This is a trouble as i cant place a pick up on the floor as it will not jump after, Iv got a work around at the moment of setting those problem tiles to ladders which also have the jump script.

Top Bottom