Wampus (Near Complete)

vanderblade

Hey all,

This is my arcade narrative adventure game Wampus, which takes place in the narrative universe of the obscure sci-fi economic simulator game M.U.L.E. I made it as a lark because some friends of mine play a tournament of M.U.L.E. once a year (it uses multi-tap!) and we got to talking about what the world must be like from the wampus's perspective, which you can choose to hunt for short periods of time in the game.

Thus, Wampus is a kind of revenge tale inspired, quite obviously, by games like Zelda.

I started this game a month ago and am at a place now where I have the entire game designed, mapped, and implemented. I am working with somebody to get original music in at a later date, but otherwise, the only thing left on my end are a few lingering issues.

Dale Coop has been a great help making everything work as is, but there are still a few hiccups.

1) Despite our best efforts, after killing enough monsters in the game, the player is always awarded a random key. I have it down so this only happens once in the game, but it still breaks the critical path, since it gives players a free key.

2) The other big issue is a bug where every time the player hits a monster with the projectile weapon, the monster's action step goes back to 0 automatically. This essentially allows players to break the routines of monsters, which is very frustrating when it comes to monster behavior.

I welcome any and all suggestions. I will not add a save point feature, since the game is meant for a tournament setting. Once you die, you have to start over. I have balanced the game to be very doable, though, once players get used to the game.

Anyway, while pretty generic at times, I have loved the process of making this game, which began as a joke on Dec. 29, 2018, and is now basically a reality thanks to NESMaker and the community here.

You can grab it here: https://johnvanderhoef.itch.io/wampus

Mihoshi20

vanderblade said:
Hey all,

This is my arcade narrative adventure game Wampus, which takes place in the narrative universe of the obscure sci-fi economic simulator game M.U.L.E. I made it as a lark because some friends of mine play a tournament of M.U.L.E. once a year (it uses multi-tap!) and we got to talking about what the world must be like from the wampus's perspective, which you can choose to hunt for short periods of time in the game.

Thus, Wampus is a kind of revenge tale inspired, quite obviously, by games like Zelda.

Weirdly the link doesn't show up for me. It's just a big wall of blank, then a place where a link should be but it's not there. I'll have to try with another browser.

vanderblade

Mihoshi20 said:
vanderblade said:
Hey all,

Weirdly the link doesn't show up for me. It's just a big wall of blank, then a place where a link should be but it's not there. I'll have to try with another browser.

Sorry about that. I pasted the link, and the forum decided to create a graphic of the link. What browser are you using?

Mihoshi20

vanderblade said:
Mihoshi20 said:
vanderblade said:
Hey all,

Sorry about that. I pasted the link, and the forum decided to create a graphic of the link. What browser are you using?

Firefox Quantum version 65.0 64-bit.

Update: Loading this page under Waterfox 56.2.7 64-bit produced a link in the image space for the download. I believe the issue I had in firefox was due to a plugin I have installed blocking the external link from loading producing the large empty space instead of the download button.

Top Bottom