Run Dash Run

Mihoshi20

A little platforming game I've been toying with lately. Can't decide if I want it to be a twitch reflex auto-scroller or a more relaxed sight seeing stroll. Either way I rather like the progress so far. Player sprite and sound effects are still using the default tutorial assets but are planned to be updated in the next version as time permits.

Two versions are included in the download, one being the auto-scroller which i call Hardcore mode and another which is a more traditional scrolling platformer I call Casual Mode.

RunDashRun_Beta01.png

Known Bugs in the Beta 0.1 version:

Title Screen music plays slower than in famitracker.
Level music stops playing after first death.
Sometimes the player will die at the edge of the screen if a death block has just left the screen. This has been observed in 'Hardcore' version only so far.

View attachment RunDashRun_verBeta01.zip

Mihoshi20

dale_coop said:
Looks fun! Thanks Mihoshi20 <3

Be interesting to see which play style people like more. Also open to all suggestions at this point as right now I only have the game concept and level ideas in mind along with a couple enemies.

dale_coop

Staff member
Nice... of course I prefer the more casual play one ;) The hardcore is too stressful for me :p
For your issue with music stop after the death, just modify your Handle Player Hurt script and comment out the "StopSound".

Mihoshi20

dale_coop said:
Nice... of course I prefer the more casual play one ;) The hardcore is too stressful for me :p
For your issue with music stop after the death, just modify your Handle Player Hurt script and comment out the "StopSound".

Yeah, was just thinking about that as I recall it being an issue that was found out about in either 4.0.6 or 4.0.11, can't remember but for sure am going to have to do that. I like the more casual one too, but will take more work. LOL. Adding run function and power ups but that's more the direction I'm leaning towards. Just don't want it ending up toooooo Super Mario-ish.

darbybtg

Maybe in the autoscrolling one you could make the default animation running? That way it doesn't look like the bunny is just sliding around. Tried both. Fun stuff.

Mihoshi20

darbybtg said:
Maybe in the autoscrolling one you could make the default animation running? That way it doesn't look like the bunny is just sliding around. Tried both. Fun stuff.

Yeah, it actually has an animation set but the engine doen't run it so I'll need to dive into the code and find out why. It changes the player state as it should, but it doesn't play the idle animation.

Mugi

it might be setting it to run animation over and over again making it look like it doesnt even though in reality it just resets every frame showing only the first frame of it.
if that's the case, a simple check against "are we already in running state" should fix that.

Mihoshi20

Mugi said:
it might be setting it to run animation over and over again making it look like it doesnt even though in reality it just resets every frame showing only the first frame of it.
if that's the case, a simple check against "are we already in running state" should fix that.

That's a really good idea Mugi. That'll be the first thing I check. I may also have a look at the action steps and see what is after the idle step and see if I can do an advance at the end of animation so that I at least know the animation is being acknowledged and ran. Then I'll check and see if it's being state looped to where the animation just isn't triggered in the first place but constantly being set to the start of it in a loop like you suggest.

Mihoshi20

Switched gears to the contest for the time being, but I did work more on a new build for the game though I'm thinking about either increasing player movement speed or adding a run button. Either way, the game has a rough draft for a cart label now too.

RunDashRun_Label_Draft_r.png

View attachment RunDashRun_B07C.zip

Attachments

• RunDashRun_Label_Draft.png
    RunDashRun_Label_Draft.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

Mihoshi20

Been taking some time lately to work on a game for the contest but did also manage to work a bit casually on RunDashRun and get a new build assembled with a few more levels. Thinking about increasing the player speed a bit or adding a run button as the game feels a bit slow and sluggish currently along with a new more enemy types to pep up gameplay. On a side note though the game now has a rough draft label.

Run-Dash-Run-Label-Draft-r.png

I'd post the updated build but the forum seems to have maxed it's upload quota and Nesmakerfiles is down so I guess I'll wait as I'm not interested in linking to the seedy underbelly of the internet or some annoying dropbox or google drive as I'm more interested in the historical archive-ability of development.

Top Bottom