Jane Jones, Poet Detective

tornotlukin

Putting together a little meditative mystery game where Jane, Poet Detective uses clues in poetry to solve a mystery. That's the thesis. Putting together some art to test some text and scenery.

jane-image.gif

tornotlukin

I suspect it will be a basic mechanic of find a thing, unlock a thing. I am going to make something without touching code by hand. Lets see how far I get before frustration sets in.

tornotlukin

With the help of dale_coop and Mugi I was able to make text for cutscenes and regular play. Now I can play with some other interactivity.

drexegar

Awesome, Im getting ready to set up my cut scenes too! So much to do in the first week of the NESMAKER COMP! Good Luck!

tornotlukin

dale_coop said:
Yeah guys, one month is a very short time to make a game, even a small demo!
LOL
Yeah, this is going to be a short game. I am well practiced in high volume design so production will go quicker. I am going to hit a stumble when it's time for music...

tornotlukin

[media]https://youtu.be/f2nlAuc6m8U[/media]

Got through a bunch of programming and art. Lots of fun figuring out how to make it all work together. As Dale Coop said, we don't have much contest time, even for a demo game!

Now I will be doing art for the cutscenes/story scenes. The first part of the video is a story scene, with placeholder art. The rest shows some interactivity with the background. I really focused on how the text is used for this game. Pressing buttons to make text appear and making sure multiple presses don't interrupt what is being written.

drexegar

tornotlukin said:
[media]https://youtu.be/f2nlAuc6m8U[/media]

Got through a bunch of programming and art. Lots of fun figuring out how to make it all work together. As Dale Coop said, we don't have much contest time, even for a demo game!

Now I will be doing art for the cutscenes/story scenes. The first part of the video is a story scene, with placeholder art. The rest shows some interactivity with the background. I really focused on how the text is used for this game. Pressing buttons to make text appear and making sure multiple presses don't interrupt what is being written.

Awesome, nice font!

How do you get the multiple presses to stop, my cut scenes can get real wonky if some decides to mash the button lol.

tornotlukin

Once I am done with the demo, I will do up a post explaining the changes to text and my method for using text, tiles, and automatic text and warps to create cutscenes.

drexegar

tornotlukin said:
Once I am done with the demo, I will do up a post explaining the changes to text and my method for using text, tiles, and automatic text and warps to create cutscenes.

Thanks will do the same with my stuff, but like I promised before more people been asking for music tutorials.

dale_coop

Staff member
This is mind blowing... I mean technically, it is awesome. Very smart.
Thanks for sharing this piece of art!

misterjosel

whoa this adventure game format is really promising!

wish there was a run button or faster character movement but this is really really cool

tornotlukin

misterjosel said:
whoa this adventure game format is really promising!

wish there was a run button or faster character movement but this is really really cool

Trying for a more meditative experience, but must have more interactivity on the screens to balance out the limited text box availability. I will be making little interactive scripts which I hope others can use.

F8Sean

I like the moody and minimalist aesthetic. Aside from the (rough) ports of King's Quest V and Maniac Mansion, I don't remember many third-person graphic adventure games on the NES.

I don't see much in the way of inventory or UI, so I assume it's more of a Myst-like environmental exploratory game with switches and set things to interact with.

tornotlukin

That is the idea. Trying to put something together and focusing on trying to make cutscenes work for storytelling purposes. I was able to get some dynamic usage out of the npc text boxes for differing environmental description. If I had more time (so say we all) it would of been more polished.

F8Sean said:
I like the moody and minimalist aesthetic. Aside from the (rough) ports of King's Quest V and Maniac Mansion, I don't remember many third-person graphic adventure games on the NES.

I don't see much in the way of inventory or UI, so I assume it's more of a Myst-like environmental exploratory game with switches and set things to interact with.

Top Bottom