Tomb Gator!

PewkoGames

Version 2 now available!

Please let me know of any glitches I may have missed. And PLEASE let me know if after Tomb 6 levels repeat instead of going on to the next level.

DL HERE:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z_y7fD0RDFtjF0Y8wWbXh5zRv3w1E64f/view?usp=sharing

This is an EARLY build and obviously there are probably glitches I missed.

I'm looking for feedback:

Is the game too hard/easy?

Any glitches that need fixing?

Are there any hazards that are impossible to avoid?

etc.

The controls are simple: Press start to start the game, and press A to jump.

its a runner so the screen auto scrolls. Jump over the obsticles, and watch out for the Aliens that built the pyramids. Jump on thier heads to kill them. Collect 100 Illuminat-E-Cheese tokens to get an extra life.

there are 3 Boss battles with the evil mascot of the underworld Mr. Set! Avoid his fast balls and he'll lose and flip the bird. Get through all 11 Tombs to win.

66817119_3042903085750648_66161484408815616_n.jpg

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PrAYHZyD4[/media]

Let me know what you think :)

TurtleRescueNES

I either found a bug or a warp zone when I collide with these steps on Tomb 3.

Attachments

• ezgif-4-eb4fae0ea6c5.gif
    ezgif-4-eb4fae0ea6c5.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,627

vufka

I played on MESEN.

I think the difficulty is just right for a NES game. There are points that are frustrating, but they seem to be possible to learn and get past, which is a defining feature of games I enjoy. Glitch-wise, I did get frustrated that "press start to jump" also activates your first jump, which in tomb 4 will probably screw you up. I don't know if you could change this or just make tomb 4 have more of a running start before obstacles, but it's just something I noticed. I only got to tomb 6 but I really liked the baseball mini boss. I think this is a nice game with a simple but enjoyable mechanic.

Just throwing down some more opinions so please don't take them as true, since you made the game and others may disagree. Traditionally, 100 coins or whatever in a game gets you a life, but since this game seems largely about collecting tokens, it was sort of disappointing to have the counter go down to zero to get me a life. It would be cool to be awarded a life but have the token count ultimately become your "high score" in the game. Also, are some tokens impossible to grab? Forgetting the branching, I could swear that some are out of reach. You could argue that it's a bait mechanic - tempt players with tokens that will ultimately kill them - but in most of my favourite NES games you can collect anything you see if you time it correctly.

Music was good, I like the visual style and palettes, great characters, and I get a sort of Bubble Bobble vibe in a way from it. Physics don't feel totally "exact" to me which causes a bit of frustration (landing on block corners and "warping up" etc), but it's still better than the physics in similar games in most of the published NES catalog. I think the length is probably good too, I gave up at tomb 6 but knowing it goes to 11 means the end was in sight, it's just the right amount of levels to give me something to imagine working for.

Good game, thanks for sharing!

PewkoGames

vufka said:
I played on MESEN.

I think the difficulty is just right for a NES game. There are points that are frustrating, but they seem to be possible to learn and get past, which is a defining feature of games I enjoy. Glitch-wise, I did get frustrated that "press start to jump" also activates your first jump, which in tomb 4 will probably screw you up. I don't know if you could change this or just make tomb 4 have more of a running start before obstacles, but it's just something I noticed. I only got to tomb 6 but I really liked the baseball mini boss. I think this is a nice game with a simple but enjoyable mechanic.

Just throwing down some more opinions so please don't take them as true, since you made the game and others may disagree. Traditionally, 100 coins or whatever in a game gets you a life, but since this game seems largely about collecting tokens, it was sort of disappointing to have the counter go down to zero to get me a life. It would be cool to be awarded a life but have the token count ultimately become your "high score" in the game. Also, are some tokens impossible to grab? Forgetting the branching, I could swear that some are out of reach. You could argue that it's a bait mechanic - tempt players with tokens that will ultimately kill them - but in most of my favourite NES games you can collect anything you see if you time it correctly.

Music was good, I like the visual style and palettes, great characters, and I get a sort of Bubble Bobble vibe in a way from it. Physics don't feel totally "exact" to me which causes a bit of frustration (landing on block corners and "warping up" etc), but it's still better than the physics in similar games in most of the published NES catalog. I think the length is probably good too, I gave up at tomb 6 but knowing it goes to 11 means the end was in sight, it's just the right amount of levels to give me something to imagine working for.

Good game, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback! so glad you liked it! It needs work for sure but thats the point of a beta eh? :D

I do have to check to see if tokens are collectable. I did notice that.

So originally the level intros were unskippable and were just short and automatically start you off. I'll probably go back to that. I could also alter the beginning of Tomb 4.

I really want to have a high score system to display the high score on the title screen. I know someone did that already but hasn't the time to make a tutorial. I think I'll revert to a score though, I like that idea better. I just wish there was a way to at least display the top score on the title screen. If anyone has info on this let me know.

I'm going back and trying to fix the warping issues.

I'll be continuanly updating this during the week. Keep the feedback coming!

PewkoGames

Is anyone having this issue:

If you beat tomb 6, does it warp back to tomb 6? I'm testing my game and on tomb 6 it goes right back to tomb 6 and doesen't progress to tomb 7.

dale_coop

Staff member
Didn't find the time to test this final version yet, but...
Make sure all your "tomb 6" screens have their warp out X,Y coords set to the "tomb 7" intro screen.

Woogz

I just tested out V2, it's pretty fun and i dig this simplicity. :) It reminds me a lot of "Hero Klungo Saves Teh World" from Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. I couldn't finish it however, because after I get to the end of Tomb 7, it just repeats Tomb 7 again.

Glitches I've come across:

-Graphical glitches when transitioning screens (Which I guess is just an issue with scrolling Nesmaker games at this point)
-Sometimes at the start of a tomb, a few of the tiles at the beginning of the screen use the red/blue/white color palette (what I'm guessing is your 4th Palette/HUD palette)
-When hitting the side of a block on the tombs past Tomb 2, you warp to a different screen.
-When you collect 100 tokens sometimes it doesn't give you and extra life, or the extra life shows up about 15-20 seconds later or when you die.
-On some screens the top left corner of the HUD has a yellow color.

It's got a lot of patch work to be done for sure, but it's still very promising even in its fairly unstable state.

PewkoGames

"Hero Klungo Saves Teh World" was the direct inspiration! Yeah it has a ton of glitches I'm trying to fix, specifically Tomb 7. I CAN'T figure out why. Thanks for pointing this out! Any help on the Tomb 7 glitch would be appreciated

dale_coop

Staff member
Maybe the same issue that you had with the Tomb 6 previously...? ;) check the previous messages on that topic.

Top Bottom