Another Brawler Project (W.I.P)

SerafukuSoftware

It's been quite a while since I last posted anything here on the forums, as I've mostly been sharing my creations on the NESmaker Discord. So I thought I'd share some of my NES pixelart of the titular character for my upcoming game project. At this point It's under the working titles of "Spacepunk'd 2.0" or "Futurefunk'd Fighters". My plan is in spirit of my "Spacepunk'd" Byte-Off Demo, this game project will be an Arcade-style Beat 'em Up/Brawler with Moonwalker-elements. Where you make your way through retro, pop-themed environments to stop an evil entity from taking over the world. With the recent release of "River City Girls" by Wayforward, I thought I'd have a go at creating something with that in mind. As well as to reference Michael Jackson, 80's pop-culture, and shōnen anime from the era.

Natsuko or "Natsy" is an athletic, tomboyish oni/demon-girl. A cheerful, hyperactive soul who enjoys 80's disco-pop, future-funk tunes, and dancing to MJ (and occasionally kicking ass)

The first sprites I made of her, were based off the "Spacechan" sprites I made for my demo "Spacepunk'd". Which I'll now refer as the Chibi versions:
CmKGjIQ.gif
UYkUsb5.gif
71CTV2j.gif
aYvu11k.gif

8EGxTYi.gif
4bChnob.gif
dl8tKRl.png
lhpgKQZ.png

These are the current redesigned ones, which I've dubbed "Natsuko Mk II". Which are a bit more defined, to give her more of a feminine appearence.
bqcbk3S.gif
M9QI7m0.gif
sBuw2yy.gif
0eh34H9.gif

pFCSb35.gif
rcX9csm.png
WigCoye.png
tEJBNaS.png

I have many more that are work-in-progress, but I will add updates with those once I'm satisfied with the animations, so expect more in future posts. My main goal with these sprites, and Natsuko's character design is to make her appealing, dynamic and expressive. All within limitations of the NES. Same goal applies with additional characters added to the game.

I Illustrated Natsuko's not quite "final" design, based upon her spritework. (Similar to how Megaman was designed, as sprites first, artwork last). I'm quite happy with how it turned out:
Amn4sap.png

Design Inspirations came from an amalgamation of characters including Bea/Saitou (Pokemon Sword/Shield), Yuri (King Of Fighters), and especially Lum Invader (Urusei Yatsura), just to name a few.

Hope you guys enjoy this little art dump. I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!
I plan on taking my time with this game's development (Hell, at the rate I'm going It ain't gonna be done within a couple years, lmfao) as I'll be working on other semi-related NES projects.

Dirk

Looks really great! I especially love the dancing animation in the second gif, 1st column, 2nd row.

SerafukuSoftware

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm really glad you enjoy the sprites so far!
Heh, the dance animations are fun to make, but they're gonna be a bit more difficult when I start doing complex ones. I dunno still how I'm going to fit them in-game per se.
Another tid-bit I'm still debating on, that's gonna affect the gameplay is whether Natsuko should shoot "starz" from her hands, Like a Run & Gun, or have her do a Triple-Punch/Kick that KO's enemies.

Mugi

the sprites and artwork is top notch as usual, but im gonna reserve my judgement until i see a little more.
spacepunk'd had some really catchy graphics going on with it, so im really curious about what you're gonna come up for this.

Top Bottom