Untitled Bacteria Game

Any thoughts on which animation is better as a player sprite?

The first animation has more of a clean "breathing" animation which isn't quite what I'm going for, but I think helps maintain player orientation (knowing which way they're facing)

The second animation has more of a bacteria/amoeba kind of movement, but worry it would be disorienting as the player moves around in 4 or 8 directions.

Thoughts?

bacteria_gif.gif

wallmasterr

Looks cool, I like the straighter one but might need to see it actually moving about screen to get a better idea.

Dirk

I prefer the twisting one, looks more organic and interesting to me, but like wallmasterr I would have to see it in-game, maybe changing directions.

Jonny

Leaning towards the more complex one but maybe try in situ and at different speeds too. Maybe the twisting one for horizontal movement and straight for vertical. Like it's shuffling left and right on an easy up and down path. I'd try that and see how it feels in the game.

With the help of jorotroid, I got some transition animations for movement! It's a really small detail but I feel like it makes a big difference!

bacteriamove.gif

Not sure yet. I'll likely ask for feedback once it starts to come together. So far thinking either Petri or Mitochondria or Mitosis

Took what little I had started and rebuilt in 4.5.6, this time determined to learn more ASM. All I need is a dash and I think I have all the animations in place! Had to figure out transition to movement animations, as well as a pickup tile that does one animation when it's a regular pickup, and a different animation when getting the last pick up, which also locks the player and warps them to a different screen. It's all a bit unnecessary but the sprite is so simple I wanted to give it some character with the movements. FINALLY can start building up the game now :D

bacteria.gif

Jonny

The dash mechanic with the solid blocks is such a great idea and looks pretty decent too. Would be nice if the tile changed briefy too, like its squelching through it.

Jonny said:
The dash mechanic with the solid blocks is such a great idea and looks pretty decent too. Would be nice if the tile changed briefy too, like its squelching through it.

Yes I would love something like that! Not sure how to though. Although the next best thing I thought of was to create an object when the dash hits that type type. The object would be some particles/bits squirting out.

Top Bottom