[Byte Off 2020] Paws & Play

Lother

Paws & Play is a puzzle platformer in which you play as a cat robot which can only move when time is stopped and cannot move when time moves. You'll have to go from room to room without being destroyed.

I will go for a synthwave aesthetic.

You can walk left and right, jump and stop/resume time.

The think is, I will need a few scripts in order for this to work:

1. A script that stops any players input and resumes any other movement (even the palette switch between 3 palettes) and reverses the effects when triggered again.

2. A script for a moving platform (which also moves you when you're on it)

I will update the list when I think of something else.

screen20.png

twin paradox

I love the aesthetic man! I have a long term project that I have been working on that has a Synthwave inspired level too ;) I can't help you out with that first request but for the moving platform request, you can make a monster that looks like a platform and just have it move left/right and have it reverse direction when it hits solid tiles or monster blocks. You'll probably want to modify part of the "jump on kill" code so that you don't destroy the monster/platform when you jump on it. The code for "jump on kill" is located in the "handleplayerhurt" script. If you want the monster/platform to stay alive when you jump on it, just comment out "DestroyObject". An obvious problem with this method is that you keep bouncing on the moving platform. You can adjust how much you bounce by changing the value after the comment "do a hop" . As far as I know no one has created a generic, modular way of making a moving platform where you don't continually hop on it.

Here's a shot from my other WIP. Great minds think alike my man!
Capture2.PNG

Lother said:
Paws & Play is a puzzle platformer in which you play as a cat robot which can only move when time is stopped and cannot move when time moves. You'll have to go from room to room without being destroyed.

I will go for a synthwave aesthetic.

You can walk left and right, jump and stop/resume time.

The think is, I will need a few scripts in order for this to work:

1. A script that stops any players input and resumes any other movement (even the palette switch between 3 palettes) and reverses the effects when triggered again.

2. A script for a moving platform (which also moves you when you're on it)

I will update the list when I think of something else.

screen20.png
This looks so cool. Love the visuals and neat concept

Lother

twin paradox said:
I love the aesthetic man! I have a long term project that I have been working on that has a Synthwave inspired level too ;) I can't help you out with that first request but for the moving platform request, you can make a monster that looks like a platform and just have it move left/right and have it reverse direction when it hits solid tiles or monster blocks. You'll probably want to modify part of the "jump on kill" code so that you don't destroy the monster/platform when you jump on it. The code for "jump on kill" is located in the "handleplayerhurt" script. If you want the monster/platform to stay alive when you jump on it, just comment out "DestroyObject". An obvious problem with this method is that you keep bouncing on the moving platform. You can adjust how much you bounce by changing the value after the comment "do a hop" . As far as I know no one has created a generic, modular way of making a moving platform where you don't continually hop on it.

Well, what I have right now is a monster but with the tags "NPC" on and "Monster" off with a collision box, this way I can still stay on top of it without any desagreement. BUT I I have to move along it in order to stay on it and for this I need help.

mouse spirit

Yeah it looks the best. Well done.I am probly late to the party, but is this a wordplay on pause and play?As in stop time and start it again? If so. Possibly give it a vhs feel.Maybe if you lose,the screen goes static or even blacks out into a pinhole like turning of an older tv.

Lother

Well, I've been thinking about the situation and I think what I'm aiming for is a bit too ambitious in terms of gameplay with my current knowledge.

It will be more manageable for me to go the SuperHot way. (Time only moves when you move). It could be more interesting.

mouse spirit

Can you make a "pause" system that freezes all enemies and not the player?
Also you could have all animations speed halved when slowed down.I know, easier said than done.

But for your new idea... what about ,follow me here,
you control the enemies and player,
but when player moves right, enemy moves left, and vice versa?

Sort of like super hot but have levels set up so if i do
the screen/puzzle wrong, the enemy will kill me.
But i was controlling the enemy.
So i am to blame, and that way you pause and play.

Just an idea ......
but if you wanna just do like super hot,
probly just make all monsters go to state 7 when you arent pressing a direction or something, make state 7
A standstill animation and a non moving action for all monsters.

Lother

Interesting ideas. for the first one it might work even better with the Maze module, but doing it with my current module will be interesting to do.

PasseGaming

I'm kind of bummed you beat me to it. I was planning on making a adventure game with a synthwave aesthetic. I probably still will, but you've really set the bar high regarding the graphics.

Lother

Now the ennemies do work as intended for the demo. I just need to create more and solve some issues.

Lother

The demo is coming along. I just need to create more puzzles with a gradual difficulty system, add some sounds and music, and it will be ready.

Lother

Good news! My short demo is finished and it now just needs some sounds and musics to be incorporated and it's ready to go!

Lother

Here's a showcase of the second background.

https://youtu.be/nuXSuPzpCzA

Yes, I'll be doing a full game out of that Demo, since people like it and I had fun making the demo.

Lother

As expected, turns out that creating new puzzles isn't that easy after a while. Right now my objective is to have a least 100 rooms to traverse in the final product.

I haven't made any significant progress in a few weeks, but I'm still working on it.

Top Bottom