Witch City

jorotroid

I've spend most of the past couple of weeks diving into the code, so I didn't have much to show. But the past couple of days I thought I would focus on more graphical stuff. I think I'm close to being happy with my City tileset, and I started working on a new tileset for a Hotel area.

You play as a freshman at a magical university. When students accidentally release an evil that incapacitates the faculty and students, you are the only one left to face the darkness spreading across the city.

dXerYte.png

zl7JxZ1.png

Gkp7NVo.png

IWdhgp0.png

3kOgNsE.png

hlPq4k7.png

qYyByJi.png

jorotroid

Thanks, everyone!

nesfan, no scrolling at the moment. I will look into implementing it when Joe adds in to NESmaker. So for now I am designing the screens sort of like Faxanadu.

I'm looking a lot a Batman for inspiration and a few other games with urban looks (I was looking at Vice: Project Doom a lot the last couple of days). That said I don't mind being compared to Castlevania. Especially with how orange those bricks turned out.

Kitsune

I don't like it ;)

To be serious, it's a good work, the only thing to need changes imho is the caracter. Not its shape, but its colors. It give me a strange impression over the background. I fell like it needs something to be perfect.

Bucket Mouse

Kitsune said:
I don't like it ;)

To be serious, it's a good work, the only thing to need changes imho is the caracter. Not its shape, but its colors. It give me a strange impression over the background. I fell like it needs something to be perfect.

I'm not sure what you mean. The character needs to be colored light in order to pop against the detailed backgrounds.

jorotroid

Thanks for you perspective, Kitsune. And also thanks for backing me up, Bucket Mouse. I will say that everything is subject to change and goes double for color pallets. Particularly once I have made the graphics for the rest of the areas in the game i will have to reexamine the player sprite so see what colors will work best with everything. I am also considering having an item or two to increase defense that would call for a palette swap to show the change (think blue/red rings from Zelda or Varia Suit from Metroid), but I am a long way from looking into implementing that.

jorotroid

coop, oh, I guess I have this video that i posted after the first couple days with NESMaker, but it's pretty out of date. I didn't even have the platfomer code in. I just faked it by having the character move up when you press A and back down when you release it. I guess it does have the music in the background, though. My plan is to do another video once I have a mechanic or an enemy ai or both implemented.

https://youtu.be/iQV4QtOaB6g

jorotroid

Mihoshi20, thanks! Sunsoft is definitely my main inspiration. A lot of their pixel art is my favorite on the NES.

jorotroid said:
Thanks, everyone!

nesfan, no scrolling at the moment. I will look into implementing it when Joe adds in to NESmaker. So for now I am designing the screens sort of like Faxanadu.

I'm looking a lot a Batman for inspiration and a few other games with urban looks (I was looking at Vice: Project Doom a lot the last couple of days). That said I don't mind being compared to Castlevania. Especially with how orange those bricks turned out.

Definitely see the batman influence and I love it. This is legit. Can't wait to play this someday.

jorotroid

Well, I am long overdue for an update. I am still working on my game almost everyday, but I have been largely working on unsexy under the hood sort of stuff. But the last couple of days I have been working on something that I thought was going to be easy, but it turned out to really have me scratching my head. It might not look like much, but I feel like I just passed a huge milestone. So gaze upon its glory: when you hit an enemy with a punch, the arm object doesn't immediately disappear!

J6JfMGb.gif

jorotroid

I decided to update my list of goals for a prototype that I came up with when NESmaker first release to reflect what I have done so far and what I want to accomplish before putting my first demo out there. Thought it might be fun to share some of that.

• Character sprite: Complete (with some room for tweaks)
  • Other Game Object Sprites: Ongoing
  • Create an infrastructure for more than 8 states for the player: Complete (but not fully tested)
  • Sprite-based Health Bar: Complete
  • Crouching: Complete
  • Punch Attack
    • Punch when standing: Complete
    • Punch swap sides when player turns: In Progress
    • Fix weird glitches when player moves and punches: In Progress
    • Punching while Crouching: Complete
  • 1 Standard Enemy
    • Graphics: Complete
    • AI: Not Started
  • 1 Minor Boss Enemy
    • Graphics: Complete
    • AI: Not Started
  • 1 Level of About 4-5 Screens: Maybe complete?
  • 1 Boss Room: Complete
  • Basic City Streets Tile Set: Good enough for now.
  • Jumping: Needs some tweaking.
  • Jumping sfx: Complete
  • Streets Level Music: Complete
  • Boss Music: Complete
  • Punch sfx: Complete
  • Enemy Damage sfx: Complete
  • Tweak recoil to something that I like better: In Progress
  • ????????? Weapon: Not Started
  • ????????? Weapon sfx: Not Started
  • ???? ?????: Not Started
  • One or two other stretch goals: Not Started
  • Settle on some color palettes: Never going to happen
  • Created an Object Parenting system: Complete

EDIT: Forgot to mention my Object Parenting system. I don't know why I forgot. That's like 80% of what I have been up to.

Top Bottom