Morbidly Obese Alligator at the Olympics

PewkoGames

Very early stages of quite possibly the most ridiculous concept for a game ever.

An arcade style game where a morbidly obese alligator named Morbidly Obese Alligator has to compete in the Olympics. Ol' General Gruntin joins in as the Leader and Coach. By that we mean Gruntin's the one who kicks him down the ramp like the bolder from Raiders of the Lost Ark. M.O.Alligator has to jump the hurdles and collect Anti Gravity Donuts (Because how else would they just float in mid air? What do you think this is? A video game? HA! Please.) to add to his score.

So far I got the scrolling and jumping down. I'm using the LR Platformer module.

Things I still need help with:

The scoring:

I want there to be a high score tracker that displays the high score on the start screen. I know its been done before (Cutter Cross) but I have ZERO idea how to make that. I preface by saying I have zero clue how to actually code. So I need a lot of help.

The Death Animation:

I made an animation for the player death but its not playing when I hit a hurdle. I remember something about action step 7 but that's not working.

Game Over/Special Screens.

I kinda remember how it was done in 4.1 but 4.5.6 I wouldn't know where to start.

Apart from that I think I got a solid concept. Let me know your thoughts and if any of you could help. Thanks!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jseCI6LNTY[/media]

UPDATE:

Okay so I got the basic collectable setup. Heres the problem: As you can see they are TILE collectables. So when they are collected, it leaves a blue tile in its place
In other words they don't have transparent backgrounds. Is there any other way to make a collectable besides using a tile?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SVyiFZXv9k[/media]

121674988_4742675579106715_7470578980739755747_o.jpg

Reactions: Yan

SciNEStist

Love the designs, very much like a "caveman games" sort of vibe :)

If I understand your question about the pickups, using a tile pickup is still the best method IMO. you are looking to change the tile to something other than tile 0 (which is probably your blue one).
The part of your script that does this is " ChangeTileAtCollision arg0, arg1"

arg0 is usually "#$00" which means its changing to tile 0 (the top left tile), then arg1 is the tile type (#$00 is the walkable tile type) sometimes scripts use a variable instead like "#TILE_OPENDOOR" that can be configured in the project settings.

if you change arg0 to a different number, then it would change to a different tile (in your case, you would want a solid red tile to match what is behind the pickup)0

If all that is too complicated, you can make your life easier and paint the top left tile red, then another tile blue. then redo the screen by repainting the sky with your new blue tile.

mouse spirit

Sounds great. Are they like "nazi" types? Or like a hogans heroes type badguys? Anyway its great.

Although the title could be offensive, maybe it could be like... " the well fed politically driven gator".
Or something without the words morbidly obese. None the less, im not offended and its fine either way, just a thought is all. I understand its funny and its just an alligator.

For a pickup, you could use objects. Im not sure in 4.5.
But in 4.1 , player pickup objects were a thing.

PewkoGames

Thanks for the replies! First off, the dictator is his own fictional country. Based on the Soviets but its its own unique thing, It's like Latveria from the Marvel universe or Pottsylvania from Rocky and bullwinkle. I did TRY objects but they just move WITH the player so back to the old drawing board.

Top Bottom