Masters of the Universe (Adventure Style Game)

jeddysne

I always wanted a proper MOTU game growing up. This is using the Adventure Module. You start out as Prince Adam and come across an NPC of the Sorceress as Zoar the falcon. She tells you to hurry home, cryptically. Once there, you work your way to the Queen who informs you that Keldor/Skeletor has attacked the city and your father and the Masters of the Universe have gone to stop them. You then find Man at Arms who gives you a Wind Raider and send you to find Castle Grayskull and the Sorceress. Adam doesn't have a weapon until he finds the Sorceress. Once there, you get the Sword and begin your quest to beat Skeletor's henchmen and save the other heroes.

First few Screens
MOTUG1.png

Current Overworld
MOTUG2.png

Current Underworld
MOTUG3.png

Castle Grayskull
MOTUG4.png

Shadow Beast, Clawful (First two bosses)
MOTUG5.png

I'm new to all of this, besides playing around with game sprites in the past. I decided to go on the small side with every sprite so I can focus on more on making the game feel expansive.

jeddysne

I will eventually. I did all of that over the weekend so I'm still testing things out. As I finish a section, I will update :)

chronosv2

Uh, I hate to be "that guy" but do you have the rights to use that intellectual property? I believe that IP is still in circulation and still under copyright and/or trademark.

I recommend changing the theme of your game before you risk legal trouble.

jeddysne

The primary objective of copyright is not to reward the labor of authors, but "[t]o promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts." To this end, copyright assures authors the right to their original expression, but encourages others to build freely upon the ideas and information conveyed by a work. This result is neither unfair nor unfortunate. It is the means by which copyright advances the progress of science and art.

—Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, Feist Publications Inc. v. Rural Telephone Service Co., 499 US 340, 349(1991)

Without infringing copyright, the public has a right to expect... to experiment with variations of copyrighted material for fair use purposes, while preserving the integrity of the original...

http://old.arl.org/pp/ppcopyright/copyresources/fair_use_electronic~print.shtml

From what I have read, I think I should be okay as long as I don't release it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I'll stop posting about it out of respect. A mod can take this thread down if they wish.

Bucket Mouse

Don't be a wet blanket, Chronos. It's a fan work on the internet for no profit. Mattel isn't gonna care or even notice.

Most companies don't go after fan works -- except Nintendo for some reason.

Orgia Mode

jeddysne said:
The primary objective of copyright is not to reward the labor of authors, but "[t]o promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts." To this end, copyright assures authors the right to their original expression, but encourages others to build freely upon the ideas and information conveyed by a work. This result is neither unfair nor unfortunate. It is the means by which copyright advances the progress of science and art.

—Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, Feist Publications Inc. v. Rural Telephone Service Co., 499 US 340, 349(1991)

Without infringing copyright, the public has a right to expect... to experiment with variations of copyrighted material for fair use purposes, while preserving the integrity of the original...

http://old.arl.org/pp/ppcopyright/copyresources/fair_use_electronic~print.shtml

From what I have read, I think I should be okay as long as I don't release it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I'll stop posting about it out of respect. A mod can take this thread down if they wish.

Don't worry, you're in the right. As long as you don't profit in any way, you cannot be accused of any "infringement."

Bucket Mouse said:
Don't be a wet blanket, Chronos. It's a fan work on the internet for no profit. Mattel isn't gonna care or even notice.

Most companies don't go after fan works -- except Nintendo for some reason.
That wasn't his intention, he did say "I hate to be that guy" after all. For any proper discussion, there must be a devil's advocate. In fact, Chronos' statement inspired jeddysne to research the rights of their fan project.

chronosv2 said:
Uh, I hate to be "that guy" but do you have the rights to use that intellectual property? I believe that IP is still in circulation and still under copyright and/or trademark.

I recommend changing the theme of your game before you risk legal trouble.

Thanks, I didn't want to be that guy, but yes what chronosv2 said. I'd change the sprites and names to something original. Remember NESmaker isn't for making games based on copy righted materials. Looks great, but I'd make it a game inspired by what MOTU could have been.

The software itself warns against this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 5,520

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
While I love the enthusiasm for this, I also must say that even as a fan game, this can violate copyright laws. Here’s the bigger issue -et’s say you are correct and that you have the right via fair use...if a copyright claim WAS filed, do you have the ability to combat a major corporations legal department?

NESmaker is designed to make YOUr creative ideas, not for you to make an unauthorized game of someone else’s. Why not make “Guardians of the Universe” featuring Ultra-Man, fighting “The Twisted Skull”? Make an homage. Make a love letter to. But that way, you retain all the rights to it, and have full artistic freedom. And then if someone tried to use YOUR IP, I’d defend your right to ownership the same way.

We as the developers of the software are pretty adamant about users creating the next great batch of new characters and experiences for the NES, rather than NESmaker being seen as major IP liability.

MrElephant

Hello Jeddysne,

I hope you are doing well, and I appreciate the graphics/artwork you have chosen. I just finished my 256th overworld map finally, and can see you've spent a long time on this project. The forum is taking the wrong approach to this post, and the readers are not doing their job/going off topic. As a group we should be discussing what we like about the project, and what can be improved upon. We are not moderators, except for TheNew8bitHeroes, and should not criticizing jeddysne's original post. It's not job, or place, to tell him what legally should be done, and if the 8-bit heroes has an issue with the original post-they should get rid of it altogether.

However, I will bring up the point that jeddysne is not selling this game, and has not distributed it in any way. There are plenty of forums, such as pokecommunity, who create games based off other material. Im not saying these sites are right/wrong-I am saying the content is obviously there. These games can be viewed, and are distributed freely online. In addition to this, everyone can view the fair use checklist online at Columbia.edu. Jeddysne, I urge you to fill out this checklist found here https://copyright.columbia.edu/basics/fair-use/fair-use-checklist.html#Fair%20Use%20Checklist

As the website states, you know your project better than anyone-so you should be the one who fills out this form.---But really, guys-we are on a forum in the backwater of the backwater. Why arent we supporting each other here? None of our games, except for TheNew8bitHeroes Mystic Searches, are going to become famous. And what's it to you whether this game succeeds, doesn't succeed-who cares? The point is that jeddysne is enjoying working on their project, is not going to sell it, and making a game for you (the viewer), and them to enjoy.

Jeddysne, I wouldnt take anyone's opinion except for your own into account here. Do what you think is best. If you want to quit project, that's fine. Who is going to stop you? No one can force you into making a game/not making a game. But I would continue down this road, and see where it takes you. What is the most that can happen? Your post/game are taken down?

By the way, I was looking for other He-Man games online, and sure enough-they are there. There is one even for the wii https://gamejolt.com/games/he-man/19434. The owner even states "I was asked several times about accepting donations , I cant charge for this game for obvious reasons but if people would like to support it , here's my paypal address (takenthispartout)" , on Gamejolt.com.

--

And finally, the part of the post that really doesnt matter-my own view on your game. I like your trees, and grass, and wolfman sprite- but there should be more than one tree/grass tile. I also like the Castle Grayskull tiles, but they need to be gray! (just my own opinion haha).

Anyways, I went overkill here, but it's not like the topic hasnt been discussed before. Good luck to you, and your project.

-MrElephant

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, nice project, jeddysne.
I like the graphics, really love the characters. Cant wait to try the demo.

Consider it as a personal project. And if one day you want to release it publicly, you could just change the title (as suggested by Joe)

chronosv2

MrElephant said:
I hope you are doing well, and I appreciate the graphics/artwork you have chosen. I just finished my 256th overworld map finally, and can see you've spent a long time on this project. The forum is taking the wrong approach to this post, and the readers are not doing their job/going off topic. As a group we should be discussing what we like about the project, and what can be improved upon. We are not moderators, except for TheNew8bitHeroes, and should not criticizing jeddysne's original post. It's not job, or place, to tell him what legally should be done, and if the 8-bit heroes has an issue with the original post-they should get rid of it altogether.

But if not here, in a case where it's happening, then where?
Masters of the Universe is an owned IP. Just because the owner isn't going to chase you down doesn't change that. The concept, and using the adventure module to tell an inspired but distinctly different story, actually sounds like it could be interesting -- but not when you're using IP without permission.

I'm not sure how familiar with game development software you are, but if you've ever even taken a look at RPG Maker, you can find that the games that come out of it are very uninspired and typically very generic. Not many people are willing to go the extra mile to implement unique mechanics, and it's given the engine a reputation.
It's much the same for Game Maker, though that's been changing with a lot of skilled indie developers creating great games using the engine. For the longest time I recall the reputation that all game maker games were amateur, badly designed games.
Unity has the reputation of being a game engine for asset flippers, because you can buy so many asset packs from the asset store.
People have had to hide signs of the engine they're working in because the engine comes with connotations created because of the actions of others.

Game engines gain a reputation off the games that are made using it.
If a bunch of people lift IPs and abuse the system using NESMaker, then NESMaker and by nature people using it are going to gain the negative connotations of IP theft.

As for on-topic discussion of the project itself:
For a concept it looks really cool, and it would be really interesting to see what changes could be made to make the project distinct and unique.
So please, keep working on the project... just change the scenario, characters and name to something you create yourself so that you don't risk getting yourself in trouble.

Fair Use is a valid copyright defense, but for works of fiction it's really hard to get away with using it.

MrElephant

Chronos,

Thanks for responding to my earlier post even though the creator has stated this project is postponed. Please remember that we are using a rudimentary version of the NesMaker software. This is not Unity, RPG Maker, or Gamemaker. Not even close. We aren't dealing with software developed my mega businesses. We're dealing with software made by a homebrewer such as yourself. The closest I can compare this software to is the DS Game Maker software. It too had a forum such as this, and it eventually faded with time. However, this wasnt because individuals were making games such as Samurai Jack. Forums eventually die on their own. Someday the fate of this website will be very similar.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111004223059/http://dsgamemaker.com/dsgmforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1919

Chronos, many of the games you probably played years ago were disappointing because homebrewers were/are one man teams. The majority of these projects go unfinished, and I see this time and time again. Its funny, I was thinking about this the other day- about Super Smash Bros, and how long it would take for someone to ask that question on this forum. Sure enough, the question was asked. How do I make a Smash Bros game on the NES? Are you stating we should tell this individual "No, you simply cannot ever even think about making a Smash Bros game for the NES. You must be stupid for thinking about such a thing. Graphics limitations, ram/rom space, blah blah blah plus copyright. If you want to make a Smash Bros game, go work for Nintendo-we're sure they'll hire you-NOT." This isnt the type of image anyone wants the NesMaker community to portray-one that bullies individuals into what the users think is best.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130705200153/http://dsgamemaker.com/dsgmforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2619

In the end though, you have to remember that a Brawler is a Brawler game, a Space Shooter is a Space Shooter, and an Adventurer game is an Adventurer. No matter how much you modify your ASM code/C code-the game is still that type of game. Two games such as Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem might have completely different stories, but they still both (very similar) RPGs in the end. (Never mind other similar games such as Dragon Warrior.)

To answer your question about where we draw the line. It's not my position to say-like I stated before. I am not a moderator-nor do I plan on becoming one. I am calling it quits for a long time after my project ends. However, ill give you this piece of advice-just in case you have plans for that sort of thing... Give projects like this one a chance, they arent going to hurt your forum. In all probability they'll increase your user base-and give individuals something to talk about. These projects arent going to hurt you personally, and it'll give everyone something to play. If you want to draw the line somewhere-do it where someone actually has malintent.

I wish you the very best.

-Mr.Elephant

"Donald Glut, the author of early "Masters of the Universe" comic books, strikes out in an attempt to claim rights to the franchise. As Sony Pictures advances toward a reboot of Masters of the Universe, licensor Mattel has won a significant legal victory that likely clears rights issues on the He-Man franchise." 2014 It is definitely an owned IP and one which is protected.

If you really want to make it a Masters of the Universe game I would suggest writing Mattel and seeing if you can get approval. It is unlikely but you never know, my animation teachers were big fans of Dragon's Lair and acquired the rights for it to make an animated film... not sure if they ever accomplished anything with it but it does show that there is a possibility.

Top Bottom