Space Raft Demo Updates ***(11/9/19)

Raftronaut

Re: Space Raft Demo 2.0

Post by Raftronaut » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Dirk wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Absolutely great intro and presentation! Although this is not normally my kind of genre I had a lot of fun playing your game. Can't wait to try it with your added tweaks.
The only problem I had was to get a good feel for the hit box of the car, so sometimes I wouldn't catch the burgers or crash into obstacles.

Hey Dirk! Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to play my game :)

Very happy to hear that you enjoyed it thus far, especially in that it is not normally the genre you like. That is encouraging as I had intended it to be a fun jaunt meant to show off my songwriting (albeit reduced to 8bit) rather than a traditionally punishing shmup.

The tweaks abound! I have a bunch of new changes coming soon. I plan releasing gameplay demos in increments so I can get feedback before I start to finish the remainder of the game design. I.E. new level designs for later levels, additional cut scenes (with text) and Boss fights.

I hope you stick around to check out some of the coming revisions and improved collisions mechanics :) The hit boxes has been an ongoing struggle on the project as I had been dealing with a pretty significant game-breaking collisions issues earlier (see my broken byte-off submission). Choosing a smaller hit box for player minimized issues concerning glitches on the screen edge (screen edge currently destroys player, a temp fix, more on this later) and solid object collisions at the time, so the odd hitboxes are a bit of a remnant of that. The projectile and character hitboxes should hopefully be resolved in the next update after Dale's "roller" tiles get implemented as the defacto solid collision.

Thanks for checking it out! Again, very grateful for the feedback :)
Space Raft demo updates: [url]http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867[/url]

Chiptune:[url] https://soundcloud.com/user-634230995-350638590 [/url]
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Yes, I really enjoyed. It also made me think of a music video I used to watch religiously in the early 2000s, because I loved its pixel graphics.

Teddybears STHLM - Rock'n Roll Highschool

I will definitely continue to play your demos :-)

I had some hitbox issues in my game too, I know the pain ;-)
My hope is that I'll learn how to code ASM and make changes to the collision routines and I would love to make the hitbox of my character toggleable so he can crouch.
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:04 pm
Yes, I really enjoyed. It also made me think of a music video I used to watch religiously in the early 2000s, because I loved its pixel graphics.

Teddybears STHLM - Rock'n Roll Highschool

I will definitely continue to play your demos :-)

I had some hitbox issues in my game too, I know the pain ;-)
My hope is that I'll learn how to code ASM and make changes to the collision routines and I would love to make the hitbox of my character toggleable so he can crouch.

ah, That is a fun video! It's funny, I went to Vince Lombardi junior high school which is the same name of the school they blew up in the Ramones' Rock n'Roll High school film. Consequently my friends and I were all big Ramones fans so it really meant a lot to us :)
Space Raft demo updates: [url]http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867[/url]

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:23 pm

That's a nice story :-)
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Croque_Monsieur

Post by Croque_Monsieur » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:06 am

adorable!
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 am

Croque_Monsieur wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:06 am
adorable!
HA!

red moon

Post by red moon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:04 pm

can’t wait to play this through tonight once i’m home. i really enjoying reading the detailed changes and improvements you had posted over time and the fixes that were implemented!
red moon

Post by red moon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 pm

I had a great time playing, the intro was amazing. Great work overall, the sound and groove of the game was really well executed. I enjoyed the light boss concept as well and I believe I made it to the 3rd section (right after the night driving)
It took me a little bit of time to realize slowing down or backing into the left of the screen would cause me to explode!
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 pm

red moon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 pm
I had a great time playing, the intro was amazing. Great work overall, the sound and groove of the game was really well executed. I enjoyed the light boss concept as well and I believe I made it to the 3rd section (right after the night driving)
It took me a little bit of time to realize slowing down or backing into the left of the screen would cause me to explode!
Hey Red, Just seeing this now! I'm stoked you had a good time with it ;) I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Since my last Demo update there have been a TON of positive changes that I hope to share, most of the game engine is built now but I first have to reassemble the game itself before I can show off the new features (better boss rooms, sound improvements, new tile types and a very special mini-game). Hopefully with the coming updates you'll see the improvements made on the things you mentioned, also with things that may have been an issue for your play through. The collisions and gameplay have been overhauled and everything is seemingly working much better. Progress progress progress!

The left screen edge is a persistent bug that is present in the shooter module, without the killer screen edge the bug has the potential to break the game, forcing the player to restart the console. Unfortunately debugging the screen edge on scrolling screens is above my experience level at the moment, so the "killer edge" will have to do for now as I work on other things within my control...
..Fun Fact, I added the self destruct (select) button in case the character gets stuck in the screen edge (simply losing a life instead of resetting the console, allowing testing or gameplay to continue) and decided to leave it after I put in the temporary "edge killer" so I could further test sound effects and the death animation.. It will be sad day when I actually have to remove it before the game is released.. it has been so helpful so far.. sweet sweet self destruct button ...lol

Thanks so much for taking the time to play!

red moon

Post by red moon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I did Raft and I am really excited to play the newer iteration of the game. I actually really enjoy playing the early version as they develop and seeing the new features and changes that occur. Very exciting!

And the explanation of the edge totally makes sense. The self destruction button is quite hilarious, I am looking forward to giving that a go.

You may want to consider embracing the "edge of death" at present, and make some sort of sprite right behind you so it appears that the vehicle is being pursued. JIt would serve as a visual indicator to reinforce the danger involved in going backward that far. It could be a fire wave, a flood wave, storm clouds...there are lots of options in that regard. I cannot wait to try it. I will be looking our for an update!