Light From Within Demo

Elarath

Re: Light From Within Demo

Post by Elarath » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 am

Bucket Mouse wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:40 am
Where do you go after you get the first key?
There is a locked door to the left when you first enter the castle.
Last edited by Elarath on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:23 am

I just found a game breaking bug myself. If you get hit while attempting to open the chest that gives you the shield, sometimes it will skip the dialog. You won't get the shield and the room will trigger. I will need to fix that!
red moon

Post by red moon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Ha, I couldn’t figure out where to go either after getting the key! ill play again tonight. Overall, i thought it was fantastic and really deep for a demo. Visually, it was very beautiful and consistent across the board. The best part is that i found it relaxing to play. I really liked your color palette choices and the hud colors and presentation...excellent work overall and cutting weeds is always satisfying!
Vonwoah

Post by Vonwoah » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 am

I still want to finish this game. I got up to meeting the king. I'm sure there is a lot more to this, but here's my thoughts so far.

Positives
  • The music is insanely good and catchy! Did you compose it?
  • The story and setup for an adventure is brilliant. Coma fighter, so cool!
  • Love the style of art
Bugs? Constructive Criticisms
  • On death, when attacking (B press) I hear attack sound effect. This happened before getting the sword
  • Attacking when player is facing idle (down) the sword hitbox is much smaller than attacking something sideways. I've noticed it's easier to kill the bats at a sideways stance
  • Destructible plant walls fix themselves when leaving and returning to screen. Intentional?
  • Solo bat on screen cannot be killed. Intentional? (screen with dirt path that is in a cross)
  • Dialogue text I found difficult to read. Such a great story, it's unfortunate that it's hard to immerse myself when squinting and thinking to myself that it's hard to read.
  • Would be cool if the text windows would immediately leave versus the scroll fade out block by block. I want to get back to the game.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 am

Vonwoah wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 am
  • Would be cool if the text windows would immediately leave versus the scroll fade out block by block. I want to get back to the game.
If/when you find how to "fix" that one, we'd be interested too ;)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am

drawing tiles on screen the way the textbox does it is a pretty resource intensive task.
Im fairly sure that the way the textbox is drawn is made as it is for performance reasons, It can be sped up or even made instant, but it will start risking graphics corruptions at that point unless enough resources is freed
to ensure that a full text box can be instantly loaded under any circumstances.

making it instant without doing anything else as it is, would propably cause the game to momentarily freeze as it loads new data.
alternatively, it could be made really fast, but that would require switching rendering off for loading the text, which would make the screen flicker black everytime a textbox is drawn.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Vonwoah

Post by Vonwoah » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:46 am

Oh interesting, I had a hunch that could have been the reason why tiles were drawn in. Games that can pull this off, Crystalis for example. Does that game have a special chip or something?
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:15 pm

they're generally just better optimized games.
it has to be accounted in nesmaker that the game engine is not exactly well optimized for ANYTHING, because it's designed to do a little bit of everything for every type of game.
for instance, your game is running 2 sets of physics engines on top of eachother at all times, which is a massive waste of processing power.

the main reason we've been able to pull off things like 4-directional scrolling and parallax without scanline counters and still maintained gameplay in dimension Shift is because we've spent a year optimizing the engine, removing parts of it, and rewriting
slow code to be less slow. For instance, if one would slap the scanline counting code we use into a vanilla nesmaker engine game, it would still work, but the game would run at half-speed at best.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:54 am

Now that I've tried it on a real NES (thanks to my new Everdrive)....
When you put the game on a real CRT, things get cut off on the edges...like the first row of letters in every text box.

Also, the Mapper 30 fix posted on this board doesn't allow for save states, so I gave up after dying at the Zelda Blade Traps a million times. To me it doesn't seem like there's enough time to get out of their way.
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:42 pm

red moon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:26 pm
Overall, i thought it was fantastic and really deep for a demo. Visually, it was very beautiful and consistent across the board. The best part is that i found it relaxing to play. I really liked your color palette choices and the hud colors and presentation...excellent work overall and cutting weeds is always satisfying!
Thanks Red Moon!
Vonwoah wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 am
  • On death, when attacking (B press) I hear attack sound effect. This happened before getting the sword
  • Attacking when player is facing idle (down) the sword hitbox is much smaller than attacking something sideways. I've noticed it's easier to kill the bats at a sideways stance
  • Destructible plant walls fix themselves when leaving and returning to screen. Intentional?
  • Solo bat on screen cannot be killed. Intentional? (screen with dirt path that is in a cross)
I can't seem to recreate the sound effect glitch, but thanks for the heads up. The hit box facing down may have to do with the enemy hit box rather than the sword itself. Enemies have a shorter hit box from the top to give the illusion of depth. The darker colored bats are much harder than the regular bats. They also have a different attack pattern and will fly toward you.
Bucket Mouse wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:54 am
Now that I've tried it on a real NES (thanks to my new Everdrive)....
When you put the game on a real CRT, things get cut off on the edges...like the first row of letters in every text box.

Also, the Mapper 30 fix posted on this board doesn't allow for save states, so I gave up after dying at the Zelda Blade Traps a million times. To me it doesn't seem like there's enough time to get out of their way.
The blade traps can be navigated without getting hit. I made sure that it could be done without damage because otherwise that's no fun. But it probably is easier on a keyboard vs controller. I also noticed that on my NES the hud gets cut off from the top. I was not on a CRT tv. Are these things something I need to compensate for? Would building the game around a smaller play area eliminate those problems?

Also Bucket Mouse, is your name from Link's Awakening?