Doors to Darkness

Dirk

Re: Doors to Darkness

Post by Dirk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:30 am

Cool, cool, cool, cool! I love point'n'click adventures! I'm very curious in what direction you will take this in the future.
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 am

Dirk wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:30 am
Cool, cool, cool, cool! I love point'n'click adventures! I'm very curious in what direction you will take this in the future.
Something that is like Shadowgate or The uninvited comes to mind though I'd like to make it more open ended like Maniac Mansion but we'll see how it goes. All 3 are major influences.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am

I just admit I haven't played those games, only watched a play through for Shadowgate and stopped paying Maniac Mansion, because the timed events stressed me out. It's definitely on my must play list though.
-----
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Dirk wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am
I just admit I haven't played those games, only watched a play through for Shadowgate and stopped paying Maniac Mansion, because the timed events stressed me out. It's definitely on my must play list though.
Maniac Mansion is one of my fav NES games and I play it routinely. Probably the NES game I play the most aside from SMB2us, SMB3, and Zelda II and I often try and see how quickly I can get to a particular ending. Usually the Manuscript ending. It's a major inspiration for me though I find simpler Point and Click adventure games like Shadowgate, Deja'vu 1&2, The Uninvited, and even Princess Tomato to be better suited to the NES and it's capabilities as far as a novice programmer for the system is concerned or at least that's the approach I took. I have much bigger ambitions in mind later but I must crawl before I can walk but NESmaker by far helped launch me from crawling at a snails pace to at least a toddler and for that I am thankful.
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Maniac Mansion is also one of my biggest influences, Mainly the music and the humor, Similarly to Dirk I was turned off by the timed mechanics at first, and honestly could not figure out the sequence of events needed to do some things... Anyway, I followed a guide and got some of the basics down, like escaping from the Dungeon or making the demo tape, Once I got the feel for it I really really learned to love actually playing that game....
Space Raft demo updates: [url]http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867[/url]

Chiptune:[url] https://soundcloud.com/user-634230995-350638590 [/url]
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:37 am

Raftronaut wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm
Maniac Mansion is also one of my biggest influences, Mainly the music and the humor, Similarly to Dirk I was turned off by the timed mechanics at first, and honestly could not figure out the sequence of events needed to do some things... Anyway, I followed a guide and got some of the basics down, like escaping from the Dungeon or making the demo tape, Once I got the feel for it I really really learned to love actually playing that game....
Yeah, that's like with the original Sam & Max Hit the Road where I got stuck on a few puzzles for a bit and a couple I just broke down and looked up.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:46 pm

I still need to finish Sam & Max Hit the Road ^^
I remember how I got stuck on my first p'n'c adventure Monkey Island 1 and paused for half a year. After that I could finish it with "no" problems. Maybe I should give Sam and Max a try.
I have a strict no-guide-policy, but I'm tempted to break it. On the other hand I'm always really disappointed when I look up the solution.
-----