Light From Within Demo

Elarath

Re: Light From Within Demo

Post by Elarath » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:15 am

Hey, thanks for the thoughtful review Slime Stack! A lot of the specific issues you mentioned will be addressed in an updated demo I will post soon. I will list the patch notes when that happens, but the biggest update is the ability to save and load your game!
Slime Stack wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 am
Another thing I noticed was on the first screen you can see that little dude across the water but you can't get to him yet. Was that an homage to Dragon Quest? When you start the game you can see the Dragon Lord's Castle but can't get to it right away; I may be grasping at straws here, but that part made me smile.
I wasn't trying to reference Dragon Quest specifically, but I do know what you are referring to! Placing the old man across the water gives the player an immediate objective instead of having to wander aimlessly, and that's more what I was going for.
Slime Stack wrote:
The difficulty spike was high as soon as I got in the basement. I had trouble with those super fast blades too. I'm playing on the AVS so there is probably some input lag, but it felt too fast. It required such precise inputs, it felt like maybe those obstacles would be better later in the game when the player is a bit better at the game.
A few people have had problems with this part. I have tested it repeatedly and can make it through without taking damage. Every blade trap can be navigated without damage. It's meant to be hard but not impossible. That said, it is more difficult with a controller. The next update will feature a sprite hud that allows half heart damage, so this should make it easier to get through.
Slime Stack wrote:
Those stationary spinning blades slow down when you hit them, can you stop them completely, or are you meant to use the shield on those?
This is a simple matter of slowdown. I have changed the size of those blades. Less sprites means it runs a bit faster.
Slime Stack wrote:
The shield was a cool new gameplay mechanic. Very cool how it will make you invincible for a few seconds, hence blocking the attacks. The sound effect that plays when using the shield is jarring at first, it sounds like the player is being hurt. I would choose a different sound effect that lets the player know straight up that they aren't being hurt.
The shield sound effect is different in the update.

Slime Stack wrote:
Also, having the enemies get some invincible frames is neat. It makes the combat feel more important. It kind of reminds me of the combat system in the Secret of Mana, where you have to wait to strike your enemies. Oh yeah, I killed that super strong bat. I was hoping for a bunch of acorns but all I got was a spirit drop and I didn't even have the shield yet :(
Lol I didn't mean for those bats to be quite so strong. I think I set it really high at some point to test something and forgot to set it back. A few other enemy issues have been addressed as well

Slime Stack wrote:
I found one graphic glitch part in the dungeon. I walked to a screen on the right and got hit by a rat and got knocked back to the other screen. When I immediately went back to the rat screen there were some missing sprites on the left side of the floor. I also saw a grey heart Sprite in a wall in the dungeon, I'm not sure if that was intentional or a glitch?
This is a glitch. It's related to the hud and only happens occasionally on screen load. Now that I have changed part of the hud to use sprites, it appears a bit differently, but it's still the same error. I'm hoping to fix it, but it doesn't break the game and the hud variables are not affected.
Check out my game!
Light From Within
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:42 am

Hello everyone!

I have updated my demo and it can be downloaded in the first post of this thread! The main update is the ability to save and load your game on cartridge and with certain emulators. I tried to add as much polish as I could to go along with that! Please let me know what you think.

Patch Notes:

-Save/Load game
-New save/death screen can be accessed by books found around the world
-Changed text so that it is easier to read/let me know if this works
-New monster types
-Monsters turn toward you when blocking
-Changed certain monster details
-Changed how attacking works/feels more fluid
-Changed how chest objects are handled, allowing for more chests in more places
-Added gems that can be found in chests
-Added potions/Unequip with Select
-Added arrows for crossbow
-New shield sound effect
-Added a jingle when obtaining an item/defeating a boss
-Added cycling through different items by pressing Select
-Added sprite hud that allows half heart and half spirit damage
-Added cool down timer on spin attack
-Added new paths/updated tiles
-Added swimming in water with specific water movement physics
-New movement speed on stairs
-Added pause by pressing start
-New demo ending screen

I believe I have fixed:

-Bug the zeroed out hud vars/missing tiles
-Bug that hurt player when cutting grass
-Bug that grass wouldn't cut at certain positions

And here is the new save/death screen!
Cheers!
Attachments
saveScreen.PNG
saveScreen.PNG (74.82 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Last edited by Elarath on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my game!
Light From Within
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am

Oh wow! This is an excting list of updates.
Save/Continue <3 when playing on a real NES, this feature is really appreciated, nowadays!

Small first feedbacks...
The "new / cont" on the title screen is not really easy to see/find (maybe a black background for them could help)
I think the font for texts is still difficult to read. But it's just my personal opinion.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:52 am

dale_coop wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am
Oh wow! This is an excting list of updates.
Save/Continue <3 when playing on a real NES, this feature is really appreciated, nowadays!

Small first feedbacks...
The "new / cont" on the title screen is not really easy to see/find (maybe a black background for them could help)
I think the font for texts is still difficult to read. But it's just my personal opinion.
The title card will eventually be tweaked. I want to put my name on there. My discord screen name "Atarath" just had lots of repeat letters. I am literally out of 8x8 tiles and had to squeeze "new / cont" in there.

I may try to rework the text. I had dropped the shadow hoping that would help. It's tricky to draw an 8x8 letter and balance the style you want with readability.
Check out my game!
Light From Within
TakuikaNinja

Post by TakuikaNinja » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 am

I've actually never played this prior to the update, but man I was missing out! Good job on implementing the save feature!
I'm having a blast with it so far, but I'll have to agree with Dale regarding the font. I'd recommend using the CRT filter in Mesen/FCEUX to test the readability.
Don't mind me, I was born on Friday the 13th.

Twitter: [url]https://twitter.com/TakuikaNinja[/url]
SoundCloud: [url]https://soundcloud.com/takuikaninja[/url]
YouTube: [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE07EMCyUwRoF1uRgQZ5LSQ[/url]
vanderblade

Post by vanderblade » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Really jaw-dropping stuff here. This is going to be a gem.
TakuikaNinja

Post by TakuikaNinja » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Ok, I've finished the demo and found some bugs. A simple reset -> continue will mitigate these, but they should be fixed:
- The player can sometimes be hurt when cutting grass. I've only gotten it once and I haven't been able to replicate it.
- Some tiles in the player sprite become corrupted. I've only gotten it once and I haven't been able to replicate it.
- Death -> continue after saving in this cave respawns the player in the wrong place.

Elarath

Post by Elarath » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:12 am

TakuikaNinja wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 pm
Ok, I've finished the demo and found some bugs. A simple reset -> continue will mitigate these, but they should be fixed:
- The player can sometimes be hurt when cutting grass. I've only gotten it once and I haven't been able to replicate it.
- Some tiles in the player sprite become corrupted. I've only gotten it once and I haven't been able to replicate it.
- Death -> continue after saving in this cave respawns the player in the wrong place.
I've not had that happen before. Let me see if I can replicate it. What emulator are you using?
Check out my game!
Light From Within
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 am

Okay, so this happens when you save, RESET, load your game, then die and continue without hitting another checkpoint. When you load your game it places the player so that it's not triggering the checkpoint tile, and the checkpoint info isn't being saved. This is a great catch and definitely fixable! I had three people test this besides myself and they didn't catch it. Thanks so much!
Check out my game!
Light From Within
TakuikaNinja

Post by TakuikaNinja » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:02 am

Elarath wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 am
Okay, so this happens when you save, RESET, load your game, then die and continue without hitting another checkpoint. When you load your game it places the player so that it's not triggering the checkpoint tile, and the checkpoint info isn't being saved. This is a great catch and definitely fixable! I had three people test this besides myself and they didn't catch it. Thanks so much!
No problem! Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to notice that kind of stuff lol.