The Patently Obvious (K)nockoff Game (or P.O.N.G. for short)

MistSonata

d2odaWR.png

I've also been taking to calling it "I Can't Believe It's Not PONG!"

But yeah, feeling super accomplished this morning, just put the finishing touches on what I'm considering my first real video game. I'm calling it "the Patently Obvious (K)nockoff Game", or "P.O.N.G." for short.

Yeah, it's a Pong clone, and I had to lean on the Nerdy Nights tutorials a LOT, but I really liked how it turned out. I feel like I was really able to put in at least a little bit of polish. Not enough to be comfortable selling it or anything, but it's pretty nice, I think.

Feel free to download it, give it a try, and tell me what you think!
View attachment PONG v1.rar

Some things to note:
  • It's two players only, no computer AI
  • First player to reach 15 points wins the game
  • Whenever a player scores, the next ball is served from the other player's side in a semi-random location and angle
  • No sound or music, unfortunately.

Dirk

I don't see the problem. Are you saying people aren't allowed to make ping pong games? Because then you can say good bye to tennis, football, American football, rugby, golf and so on.

Dirk

Nice game :)
I like your graphics and I even won (but there was no second player, so not really an achievement ;-)
Do you plan to improve it? Like making a simple AI or you could accelerate the ball by swinging the paddle when pressing b or a.

dale_coop

Staff member
Congrats, MistSonata. Looks great! I can't believe you understood the Nerdy Nights tutorials (I stop after the first 3 lessons :p), respect!

MistSonata

I think the question of whether or not this falls under an infringement of an IP is a fair one, I mean I did give it a very tongue-in-cheek title, but at the same time I did my best to set it apart (at least graphically) from infringing on the Pong license by portraying it as a generic table tennis game, something Atari does not own.

It should also be said that when people harp on others here about infringing on IP, it's mostly out of respect for Joe's wishes. Whatever his reasons, he doesn't want NESmaker to be used to make IP infringing games.

Dirk said:
Nice game :)
I like your graphics and I even won (but there was no second player, so not really an achievement ;-)
Do you plan to improve it? Like making a simple AI or you could accelerate the ball by swinging the paddle when pressing b or a.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Unfortunately I have no plans to improve or modify it right now. I already feel like I lost a decade or two off my lifespan just trying to get the full background to appear, and I'm just happy it's in a "complete" state.

dale_coop said:
Congrats, MistSonata. Looks great! I can't believe you understood the Nerdy Nights tutorials (I stop after the first 3 lessons :p), respect!

I don't know if "understood" is the right word for it, but thank you :)

Bucket Mouse

You think it's possible to make a bouncing ball like that in NESMaker? I think so...if you set the ball as a monster and used a custom script to set its AI. How hard was it to make the ball physics here?

MistSonata

Bucket Mouse said:
You think it's possible to make a bouncing ball like that in NESMaker? I think so...if you set the ball as a monster and used a custom script to set its AI. How hard was it to make the ball physics here?

Not only is it possible, I imagine it would be ridiculously easy. There's no reason to use a monster object, though, as I think it might be easier to use a game object for the ball.

Top Bottom