The Tower of Turmoil

CutterCross

After over 3 months in development, The Tower of Turmoil is finally complete!

aFe0zdk.png

Hundreds of people have mysteriously disappeared throughout the land, and a treacherous tower has seemingly risen out of nowhere...

A lone swordsman named Takemaru Kurumana has sensed a great amount of dark energy from the tower, and knows that he's the only one capable of stopping it. As the wielder of the Sword of Divinity, Takemaru races toward the Tower of Turmoil to dispel the source of the dark energy within, and solve the mystery behind the rapid disappearances.

Thanks to everybody who has helped support this game! For those who want to see its development history, click here: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227
Special thanks to dale_coop, jorotroid, MistSonata, and WolfMerrik for their ASM contributions!

I'd love to see screenshots and videos of you guys playing this game! So feel free to post them down below! Have fun and thank you for being patient with this game's development! It's been a wild ride!

Made with NESmaker 4.0.11 Platformer Module

UPDATES:

****UPDATE 01: Ver. 1.01 adds a couple small bug fixes.

****UPDATE 02: New box art!

****UPDATE 03: Ver. 1.03 fixes most major bugs and glitches in the game, adds a checkpoint warp feature with the SELECT button, and adds a couple new hidden Easter eggs!

****UPDATE 04: Changed download link to the itchio page.

DOWNLOADS:

VER 1.03:
https://cuttercross.itch.io/the-tower-of-turmoil

Last edited:

Kasumi

Congrats on the release!
uCk6ymf.png

You'll find my playthrough attached. FCEUX movie.

Fans are a bit inconsistent. Swinging the sword cuts off jump height, and there's the landing in the air thing that affects a lot of NES Maker games. During cutscenes, you can swing your sword sometimes. You can also get the same text to trigger twice. That's all as far as bugs that aren't... state machiney.

Your boss in particular is excellent.

Attachments

• The_Tower_Of_Turmoil_1.00-0.zip
    26.5 KB · Views: 342

CutterCross

Kasumi said:
Congrats on the release!
uCk6ymf.png

You'll find my playthrough attached. FCEUX movie.

Fans are a bit inconsistent. Swinging the sword cuts off jump height, and there's the landing in the air thing that affects a lot of NES Maker games. During cutscenes, you can swing your sword sometimes. You can also get the same text to trigger twice. That's all as far as bugs that aren't... state machiney.

Your boss in particular is excellent.

Sadly I can't seem to open your playthrough movie in FCEUX, but that's awesome you made it through The Blackout! Thanks for noting those bugs btw. I actually knew about most of those but I couldn't find a good way to fix them, and I just wanted to release this and move on to other things.

The fans won't move you forward if you're running in the same direction the fan blows you, if that clears anything up about them being inconsistent.

Thanks for trying it out Kasumi!

**NVM, I got the movie to work, I was just being a dunce with how to open it.

del inf3rno

Awesome man, I got stuck on a few parts due to a weird glitch. The first was the first stage of the boss, we killed each other at the same time and after the cutscene I think the game didn't know what to do with the player.

The second was in the blackout, it wouldn't recognize that I killed all the enemies in the room. I'll post the pictures when I get home.

Great work! Do you plan to make changes with 4.1 update?

dale_coop

Staff member
Oooooh! Congrats and thank you CutterCross to sharing your awesome game. Need to flash it on my cart and play it, with my son on the NES! <3 It's an incredible game!

Congratulations on the release of your game!
I'll definitely dig in this on one of my several emu devices! đź‘Ť
Edit:I can't run .fm2 files on my 3ds, so I'll play it on PC later.

I only noticed one energy bar you pick up at the end of a stage dosen't register until you begin next stage... nothing really. Was excited to see the Blackout but in my excitement missed an enemy on a higher level and thus couldn't open the door at the bottom. Will play again and try to complete the Blackout levels. Very fun.

CutterCross

del inf3rno said:
Awesome man, I got stuck on a few parts due to a weird glitch. The first was the first stage of the boss, we killed each other at the same time and after the cutscene I think the game didn't know what to do with the player.

The second was in the blackout, it wouldn't recognize that I killed all the enemies in the room. I'll post the pictures when I get home.

Great work! Do you plan to make changes with 4.1 update?

Thanks man! Damn, I never encountered those bugs before. The second one might just be a random bug with how NESmaker handles checking for triggers, I haven't been able to replicate it myself.

I don't really want to redo EVERYTHING for 4.1.0, so I'm just going to leave it as a 4.0.11 game. I want to move on to creating new stuff!

dale_coop said:
Oooooh! Congrats and thank you CutterCross to sharing your awesome game. Need to flash it on my cart and play it, with my son on the NES! <3 It's an incredible game!

I REALLY want to see this on an actual NES! Now if only I had my flasher shipped. Hope you and your son enjoy it!

Tengen Games North said:
I only noticed one energy bar you pick up at the end of a stage dosen't register until you begin next stage... nothing really. Was excited to see the Blackout but in my excitement missed an enemy on a higher level and thus couldn't open the door at the bottom. Will play again and try to complete the Blackout levels. Very fun.

I've had to tackle so many issues reguarding Player Health. I'm just glad I got it to THIS stable of a state!

Glad you had fun with it! Probably should have tweaked the level design a bit though to make sure a softlock like that doesn't happen! Haha.

This game is one of the most polished games yet,
You have my utmost respect!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_014635.jpg
    IMG_20181201_014635.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 10,834

dale_coop

Staff member
Flashed it and played on the NES today, my son and I had a lot of fun.
Sadly we couldn't beat the boss (and the cutscene before the boss is so long... we watched it 20times! would be great if it had a checkpoint maybe on the last screen of the cutscene)

Will try again another day.

dale_coop said:
Sadly we couldn't beat the boss (and the cutscene before the boss is so long... we watched it 20times! would be great if it had a checkpoint maybe on the last screen of the cutscene)

I'm hoping to get a NES soon, but until then, I got my trusty 3ds. :D

CutterCross

dale_coop said:

Awesome Dale! Yeah, one of the drawbacks to my cutscene system is that I haven't yet found a way to SKIP cutscenes, since we can't really change the location a warp tile takes you (at least not that I'm aware of), and I didn't want to have a checkpoint IN the boss room so I could give the player time to breathe.

Glad to know it works great on an actual NES!

dale_coop

Staff member
Maybe you could put a checkpoint tile at your player coord on the last cutscene screen?
It works very well on the NES <3

Kasumi

I just noticed going back through my imgur album. You spelled Incredible wrong on the end screen! It's missing the second 'i' character.

Kasumi said:
I just noticed going back through my imgur album. You spelled Incredible wrong on the end screen! It's missing the second 'i' character.

Wow, cuttercross have you no dignity???
Jk, that's something i'd do.

Bucket Mouse

I have to know....if you sacrificed text boxes to make the Pause message, like you said earlier.....how come the boss cutscene has text?

Also, bug: if you die and you replay the cutscene again, the text boxes all repeat twice.

CutterCross

Kasumi said:

*facepalm* Goddammit I completely missed that! Well, it just wouldn't be an NES game without typos I guess!

CutterCross

Bucket Mouse said:
I have to know....if you sacrificed text boxes to make the Pause message, like you said earlier.....how come the boss cutscene has text?

Also, bug: if you die and you replay the cutscene again, the text boxes all repeat twice.

Simple, I assigned different text groups for each of those cutscenes! Downside is that I had to make it so you can't pause during cutscenes, and I also made it so you couldn't pause during boss fights since the pause screwed with their AI.

Top Bottom