"D" - Demo Version 3 - Horror

Hello Everyone!

So this is a pretty extensive demo, and I am hoping someone can post the end screen if they get there.

Couple things: Music and SFX are still being tweaked and will change in the final version
No checkpoints. If someone can help with getting checkpoints to work in the adventure module that would be awesome (tried so many different script edits to no avail)
More text will be added to flesh out the story as well

I will let this one rest for a bit, but all critique and feedback is very much encouraged. I am eager to see if anyone can make it to the end, as It is quite challenging.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to your reviews!

Attachments

• D_Demo_3.zip
    31 KB · Views: 187

drexegar

Controls feel very smooth, couldn't get through the door though can couldn't figure out what the message was about, through the left wall? Anyways though great job on detail and controls. Ill try it later after the contest.

Jacotomo

Man, I'm starting to like NES horror games, good job.

I also have a solution to your checkpoint problem.
Make a new ASM script and copy/paste this in.
Code:
LDA #$00
STA newGameState
 LDA continueMap
 clc
 ADC #$01
 STA temp
 GoToScreen continueScreen, temp, #$04
 LDA #$00
 STA playerToSpawn
; LDX player1_object
; DeactivateCurrentObject
 LDA #$01
 STA loadObjectFlag

LDA continuePositionX
STA newX
LDA continuePositionY
STA newY

Then in script settings, assign it to "player lose life"

So what is happening is that, in the platform module, you have lives, and when you run out, you start at the beginning.
But in the adventure module, you have no lives, so it always starts you at the beginning. This script removes the need of lives.

Also, if you want your checkpoints to be like invisible, auto-checkpoints, you can remove the "change tile collision" line in the "set checkpoint" script, just thought you might want to know.

Hope this helps.

AllDarnDavey

Nice, the atmosphere and puzzle stuff is real cool.

I died on the boss and the game just froze, and I had to reset.
I love your boss design, I might have to talk to you when I get to boss battles.
If it were me I'd make the player hit box a tiny bit smaller, can be tricky fitting in tight spaces and made finding hidden passages a bit more tricky then you might have wanted.
I Like your enemy death VFX, but it's all black and sometimes disappears against the background, consider adding an outline to it.

dale_coop

Staff member
I played to a Playstation "D" game many years ago (I might still have it somewhere). So your game sounds interesting...! Can't wait to play (next week, when I will have more time)

Rustocrat said:
I love how the ambiance IMMEDIATELY set me on edge, and the character's design and walk cycle is pretty rad too!

You know there's already a horror game called "D" right? Granted it was an obscure 3DO/Playstation release, I think your game manages to be more scary though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(video_game)

Well shit, I had no idea this existed hahaha!

Thanks for the feedback, I wanted to start with an unease of sound and repeat it.

I will be changing the name soon enough

drexegar said:
Controls feel very smooth, couldn't get through the door though can couldn't figure out what the message was about, through the left wall? Anyways though great job on detail and controls. Ill try it later after the contest.

That is the correct answer. May make the tile a breakable block for ease of discovery. Thanks for playing aand let me know how it goes when you come back to it!

Jacotomo said:
Man, I'm starting to like NES horror games, good job.

I also have a solution to your checkpoint problem.
Make a new ASM script and copy/paste this in.
Code:
LDA #$00
STA newGameState
 LDA continueMap
 clc
 ADC #$01
 STA temp
 GoToScreen continueScreen, temp, #$04
 LDA #$00
 STA playerToSpawn
; LDX player1_object
; DeactivateCurrentObject
 LDA #$01
 STA loadObjectFlag

LDA continuePositionX
STA newX
LDA continuePositionY
STA newY

Then in script settings, assign it to "player lose life"

So what is happening is that, in the platform module, you have lives, and when you run out, you start at the beginning.
But in the adventure module, you have no lives, so it always starts you at the beginning. This script removes the need of lives.

Also, if you want your checkpoints to be like invisible, auto-checkpoints, you can remove the "change tile collision" line in the "set checkpoint" script, just thought you might want to know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help!

I should have mentioned I was building this using 4.0.1
(Platformula)

I did however parse out a few lines from this and was able to get the screen to change at death to the checkpoint screen, however it will not load the player object. Still tinkering a bit on that.

I’ll post what comes of it but really appreciate the explanation!

digit2600 said:
i shouldn't be playing this with headphones. You nailed the atmosphere.

Awesome to hear, it was a process for sure. Going to be adding so much more coming up.

Thanks for playing!

AllDarnDavey said:
Nice, the atmosphere and puzzle stuff is real cool.

I died on the boss and the game just froze, and I had to reset.
I love your boss design, I might have to talk to you when I get to boss battles.
If it were me I'd make the player hit box a tiny bit smaller, can be tricky fitting in tight spaces and made finding hidden passages a bit more tricky then you might have wanted.
I Like your enemy death VFX, but it's all black and sometimes disappears against the background, consider adding an outline to it.

Thanks for the input, And Is be more than happy to have a boss design chat.

I like your recommendations. Going to make some hit box changes and will be updating effects accordingly!

dale_coop said:
I played to a Playstation "D" game many years ago (I might still have it somewhere). So your game sounds interesting...! Can't wait to play (next week, when I will have more time)

I cant believe I have never heard of this game before, so coincidental. I’ll be updating the name soon as soon as I figure out what the D will stand for haha!

Thanks Dale, I appreciate all you do here on the forums.

Jacotomo

CloserClover said:
Thanks for the help!

I should have mentioned I was building this using 4.0.1
(Platformula)

I did however parse out a few lines from this and was able to get the screen to change at death to the checkpoint screen, however it will not load the player object. Still tinkering a bit on that.

I’ll post what comes of it but really appreciate the explanation!

Yeah, sorry if it didn't help that much. I'm still new to ASM, and it was just something I conveniently stumbled upon when making my own game. Hopefully you can figure something out.

Top Bottom