Dimension Shift Byte-Off 2019 Demo

Mugi

Dimension Shift Byte-Off 2019 Demo

Post by Mugi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:53 am

Hey all.

I've just done submitting Dimension Shift into Byte-Off, so here's the ROM for all of you to try out too.

Lots and lots of love and care has gone into this ROM, and I'm hoping it shows.
for play information, read the readme, but here's some of the things i did not put into it that has been done to this rom / engine.

- fully functional 2-directional scroll
- CHRram bankswitching
- extremely optimized engine (screenloads literally take 1 frame to execute, which is roughly 20 times faster than the basic 4.1.4 core i started with)
- Full fade in / fade out palette fader for warps etc
- color emphasis to enhance screen fading
- hidden sound test room (happy hunting)

This rom has basically been through nothing but devious bugtesting for the past week or so, and I hope that the amount of love and care poured into this shows somehow....
well im just ranting here, here's screenshots and a download link:

UDPADE: updated the link with a new rom that (hopefully) solves all of the spawning issues after death.
UPDATE2: 0.03 fixes an extremely rare issue of corruping tiles when screenswitch occurs during scrolling / some monster spawn/ dublication issues were also fixed.
UPDATE3: v0.04 fixes issues with attack being overwritten by other action states / fixes issue with screen borders doing weird things (hugging right wall no longer tilts the game, and falling while hugging the wall no longer wraps the screen.)
----------- player has now been made invulnerable during bosswarp to prevent warpdeaths that mess up the game.
UPDATE4: v0.05 fixes a stray audio issue where the "splat" ate the attack sound on monster death. Handle game reset has been rewritten so that it does not flash garbage on screen during game reset. stage graphics were tidied up and the stagemap.png has been updated to reflect the changes to the stage graphics (very minor stuff.)

ROM File: https://dev9.blacklabel-translations.co ... _v0.05.zip

Screenshots:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Map of the demo stage:

edit: spelling.....
edit2: added a playthrough video recorded from an actual PAL NES through RF, for the authentic messy NES feeling. (played and recorded by FIX94 from the compo entry rom.) it spoils the credits and shows the whole boss fight, for those who want
to struggle through it themselves, play the rom before watching :P

Last edited by Mugi on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Retrobuster

Re: Dimension Shift Byte-Off 2019 Demo

Post by Retrobuster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:02 am

Wow.....way to make us all look bad! ;) JK JK! This looks/sounds amazing and I’m going to try it out a little later! Congratulations on this!
chronicleroflegends

Post by chronicleroflegends » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:04 am

Nice!

I've been looking forward to trying this out.

Good luck in the competition!
~Do you believe in legends? ~
My Games: Nix: The Paradox Relic
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 am

OOOOooooohh :D°°°
Thanks, Mugi! Will try before going to bed (already 02:00AM here and I have to wake up early tomorrow >_<)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:09 am

The scrolling engine looks very good.... very fluid. Didn't have any glitch during my small minutes playing<3 Congrats, Mugi!!! It's beautiful.
Will you release a Mugi core after the compo?
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am

DimensionShift's codebase is so detached from nesmaker now that it's practically impossible to turn it into a core at this point.
So no, that will in all likelihood not happen.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
chronicleroflegends

Post by chronicleroflegends » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 am

Whoa Mugi.

I just finished your demo. Let me just say that that boss was an absolute beast. It killed me at least 10 times lol.

That was really incredible. The scrolling is super smooth, the graphics were so good I had to remind myself this was NES not SNES, and I am so jealous of those fading transitions.
The game looks beautiful! And even just looking at this first stage, its super fun!

Keep up the good work, I hope to see this game completed one day.

Just saying, as someone who works at a retro game store with customers who are interested in homebrew:
A completed version of your game would sell. Easily.

Great work! And good luck with the competition.
~Do you believe in legends? ~
My Games: Nix: The Paradox Relic
SerafukuSoftware

Post by SerafukuSoftware » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 am

Words cannot describe how Impressed I am with this how far Dimension Drive/Shift has come so far, well other than "No F@#$%&g Way! This is sick as". I've genuinely enjoyed playing this and I'm just amazed by all the graphical effects (including the candle illuminating the cave walls) and gameplay mechanics you've added since the first W.I.P I tried out. You've put a hell of a lot of effort and TLC into this, and I hope it gets you somewhere.

I'm defs looking forward to seeing how you go in the competition pretty soon, in which I wish you all the best of luck! Thanks again for being an Artistic Inspiration for me with my game xD
Weeb artist, NESdev and hardware guy.
Dev unit: Nintendo Famicom HVC-001 with AV-Mod.
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am

And the award for "selling themselves short" goes to....Mugi. He's been complaining all week that his demo isn't very good. It's probably going to win by a landslide.

I can beat the first blob, but not four of them. Does beating the boss give you the sound test screen?
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 am

chronicleroflegends wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 am
Keep up the good work, I hope to see this game completed one day.

Just saying, as someone who works at a retro game store with customers who are interested in homebrew:
A completed version of your game would sell. Easily.
Definetly! I would buy this game!

Bucket Mouse wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am
And the award for "selling themselves short" goes to....Mugi. He's been complaining all week that his demo isn't very good. It's probably going to win by a landslide.
+1 my vote on that one, too. Ah ah ;)

Mugi wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am
DimensionShift's codebase is so detached from nesmaker now that it's practically impossible to turn it into a core at this point.
So no, that will in all likelihood not happen.
I understand. It's ok... it's very good. (...I hope Joe could inspire himself from your code and fix the NESMaker engine ;))
-----