Doodle World (UPDATED)

n8bit

UPDATE!

So I guess I completely forgot to update this thread in a long time. As most of you know, Doodle World is finished and is now on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natepeters/doodle-world

Attachments

• Doodle Land demo 71619.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 242

TakuikaNinja

Nice! I really like the style of the manual. Seems like the victory fanfare gets cut off though.
(One of the songs I made is unused as well, but I don't mind since it's identical to what's used.)

n8bit

TakuikaNinja said:
Nice! I really like the style of the manual. Seems like the victory fanfare gets cut off though.
(One of the songs I made is unused as well, but I don't mind since it's identical to what's used.)

Thanks! Just checked everything and I cannot figure out why the victory fanfare is cutting off. Also checked and I am using all 6 songs.

Bucket Mouse

I froze the game in Crayon Cave by jumping on an Eraser and touching the Bonus Paper at the same time. I don't think it needs urgent fixing because it's not likely to happen often.

TakuikaNinja

n8bit said:
Thanks! Just checked everything and I cannot figure out why the victory fanfare is cutting off. Also checked and I am using all 6 songs.

You set the title theme to play when you re-spawn from the checkpoint in level 1, and not the title screen. No wonder I didn't hear it! (Minor gripe, but I think you should mute the audio when the title cards are shown.)
As for the cut-off sfx, it's probably because NESMaker ends the sfx on a "note end". I have 2 of them in the fanfare and it cuts off one the first one. So it's my fault it does that, sorry. I'll fix it and send you the updated files via PM.

n8bit

Bucket Mouse said:
I froze the game in Crayon Cave by jumping on an Eraser and touching the Bonus Paper at the same time. I don't think it needs urgent fixing because it's not likely to happen often.

Thanks for the feedback! I might have to adjust the location of the eraser or the bonus paper.

n8bit

TakuikaNinja said:
n8bit said:

You set the title theme to play when you re-spawn from the checkpoint in level 1, and not the title screen. No wonder I didn't hear it! (Minor gripe, but I think you should mute the audio when the title cards are shown.)
As for the cut-off sfx, it's probably because NESMaker ends the sfx on a "note end". I have 2 of them in the fanfare and it cuts off one the first one. So it's my fault it does that, sorry. I'll fix it and send you the updated files via PM.

Will have to check the song that is initialized on that screen. Thanks for letting me know! As far as the audio on the title cards, I tried to mute it but for some reason it locks the game up. Will play with it some more tonight. Also, thanks for taking the time to update the files!

n8bit

Here is a link to an updated demo that fixed some bugs that were found...

https://goo.gl/GS2kLe

I also updated the credits screen to make it more readable.

RinRem01

I just played this and it's great. I don't know what else to say except it gives me the warm and fuzzies! I can't express enough how much I LOVE it.

Kasumi

This was cute and fun. There are a few aggressive level design decisions, though:
HlKIgS5.gif

I think there's at least one other location like that where it traps you under a ceiling you can't jump through in a way that feels trappy.

Bucket Mouse

Kasumi said:
This was cute and fun. There are a few aggressive level design decisions, though:
HlKIgS5.gif

I think there's at least one other location like that where it traps you under a ceiling you can't jump through in a way that feels trappy.

I didn't fall for it because I saw the enemy before I saw the crayon. It's easy enough to avoid.

Kasumi

Someone not falling for the trap doesn't make it less of a trap. If one goes down there in that case, one has no options. It's true you can not go into the area in the first place, but once you're there, you're dead which is the definition of a trap. It even has bait! If it were reasonable to escape, and I simply failed, I would not have made the post.

n8bit

Kasumi said:
Someone not falling for the trap doesn't make it less of a trap. If one goes down there in that case, one has no options. It's true you can not go into the area in the first place, but once you're there, you're dead which is the definition of a trap. It even has bait! If it were reasonable to escape, and I simply failed, I would not have made the post.

Yeah I am going to fix that. I meant to put a monster barrier before the crayon.

marp

Read the manual at work today because I guessed it would follow the style of the game and it's awesome! =D (Hope my boss doesn't read these forums).
I will play the game as soon as I can, looks really great.

Top Bottom