Underground Adventure (BYTE-OFF-2019)

dale_coop

Staff member
I humbly presents my demo game: UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE, the Arcade game.

Underground-Adventure-Cover.png

I imagined it as a classic 80's arcade game port.... of a imaginary arcade cabinet. It is based on my previous Underground Adventure platformer demo.
It's very basic, one screen levels, you will have to collect all the gems (crystal) to complete the level and accept to the next one.

Underground-Adventure-Start-Screen.png
Underground-Adventure-Level-1.png

All the awesome Music and SFX have been composed by CutterCross. The game would not have been the same without his help! Thank you so much<3
You can listen to the tracks on his youtube channel :

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcguAzh6h0g&list=PLh0T5F2UoKbu-pJR9teBc39vsJChJMUg7[/media]

- UPDATES -
2019-08-12: fixed an issue when the 2 players was double-jumping at the same time.
2019-07-19: fixed the issue when two hud updates was called at the same time (during a collision).
2019-07-18: modified the double jump system (now you can double jump as long as your health is at MAX) and other minor fixes.

- DOWNLOAD -
Download the rom file (updated 2019-08-12 version), here: http://bit.ly/2TrxrN6
Older version (Byte-Off version): https://bit.ly/2FhUiFp

It's a shot demo, you can beat it in maybe 5 minutes :p (I didn't have enough time to make hundreds of levels as I would like... but)
I hope you will have fun !

Also, you can play co-op with your best friend (or your kid) to Underground Adventure.

TurtleRescueNES

I'm just about to play it! Remember Dale, you have probably assisted with most every game that has been submitted to this competition. Thank you for all of your help!

TurtleRescueNES

I'm not going to spoil anything, but there's a big surprise right on that title screen! Congrats on figuring out that mechanic, Dale!

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ah thanks guys...
Jsherman, yep ;) started working on those scripts months ago (in 4.0), finally got luck tand have something working.

CutterCross

This was a fun project to work on! You're welcome for the soundtrack Dale :D Glad to help you out with your entry (especially since I had to take a long break from mine and couldn't get something playable on time).

The game itself is really nice and polished, with a couple really unexpected mechanics! Even though I've played most of it already from working on the soundtrack, that last newly added level really surprised me! Fantastic job Dale :) Hope you can add more content in the future!

Oh, and the soundtrack is also on my SoundCloud if anyone's interested: https://soundcloud.com/paul-haas-752206774

SerafukuSoftware

I'm loving Underground Adventure for it's arcade-aspect. It really does feel like an arcade game that would've come out in the early to mid 80's. Hell it would've defs been quite the coin-muncher if it existed back in the day. The tiny-sprites remind me of Micro Mages which is really cool, The graphics are beautiful. I'm a huge fan of that title screen and opening cutscene, that was really cute. Fantastic work, Dale! :D

Cuttercross' atmospheric soundtrack is the cherry on top, which is always a pleasure to listen to. I absoloutely agree with what jsherman said, many of us wouldn't have gotten far with making our NESMaker games if it wasn't for your kind assistance and knowledge, In which we all couldn't be more thankful for. Pat yourself on the back for your efforts, Dale. Best of luck with the competition!

On a similar not, a friend and I are planning on building in the near future an arcade cabinet that uses dedicated NES Hardware (similar to the Playchoice 10/VS Unisystem) and if it would be cool with you, Underground Adventure would be a great example to help test out it's functionality. I'd love to know how you got the credit and player 1/2 selection functionality working in NESMaker:D

CutterCross

digit2600 said:
Oh, this soundtrack.... I'm a sucker for square leads and these are thick and juicy. Lots of atmosphere conveyed.
SerafukuSoftware said:
Cuttercross' atmospheric soundtrack is the cherry on top, which is always a pleasure to listen to.

I'll take that as a compliment :D Haha

Yeah, I really wanted to give this game a more atmospheric vibe. Although I wouldn't call the soundtrack as a whole atmospheric. I mean, have you heard the Title and Ending tracks? Haha

Awesome music Cross Cutter! Love the title screen! Look forward to trying it out!

And thanks so much for all of your help. So many games here are the way they are because of YOU.

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks guys :)
Agreed with you, CutterCross add the atmosphear to my game... Love it so much!

SerafukuSoftware said:
On a similar not, a friend and I are planning on building in the near future an arcade cabinet that uses dedicated NES Hardware (similar to the Playchoice 10/VS Unisystem) and if it would be cool with you, Underground Adventure would be a great example to help test out it's functionality. I'd love to know how you got the credit and player 1/2 selection functionality working in NESMaker:D

Yep, no problem. (I have an arcade cab myself, I love Arcade).
Of course, I will make a tutorial about that, it's not complicated.

SuperNatetendo said:
Would love to add that to my project later. :)

I definitely see that option for your game! <3
I will make a post about that. As it requires a lot of modifications, I might have no choice than making a new core dedicated for that type of games.

wallmasterr

This looks feels and sounds great. Controls are so nice and fluid, lump has a nice sence of gravity to it. You got 2 players working. Hats off to you. And thanks from me and everyone. Dono how you found the time to help everyone out so much and make your own awesome game. I hope loads of your fixes make it into the updates for newsmaker Thanks :D

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks wallmasterr
Yeah, the past 4 weeks was very busy... but so fun! I am glad I finished this demo (even if it’s not as big as I wanted)... and did it on time!
I am glad we all did!

Franco92

I finally found the time to try some games, it's definitely one of the best I've tried so far!
Art is simple but cool and everything works as it should, note of merit also for the excellent music!
Can't wait for the full version, maybe one of this days I will play yet in co-op mode :)!

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks Franco, for your feedbacks :)
Yeah, the music is awesome, thanks to CutterCross!
For co-op mode, download the rom, find a friend (or wife, or kid... or neighbor) and go for it <3

justadude

*inhale*

another review

First of all...I LOVE IT!
The art style,music, just... EVERYTHING!
The cutscenes are good,the amount of awesome things put in this game is insane!
Im impressed by everything,and most impressed by 2 player mode and limited time you had.
I have no words,10/10

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you, justadude. It means a lot to me (I spent a lot of time finishing it for the competition... and CutterCross helped me a lot!!!! with his awesome soundtrack and all his feedbacks).

dale_coop

Staff member
Updated the demo, now you can always double jump (as long as your health is at max) and some other minor fixes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iKfwN92WbzrFL3Rv4JNIyVCV1HIt-zxA/

Need to finish my label... I want a better shadow boy (this one doesn't really look like my player) >_<.

Underground-Adventure-NES-Cart.png

Top Bottom