Soko Banana: Byte-Off! 2019 Demo

marp

2 weeks of intensive (and fun) night coding and we got ourself a demo for the Byte-Off! 2019.

The game is called Soko Banana, and you find a link to the demo rom and some instructions below.
Thanks to all of the Nes Maker community!

game_004.png

Download: https://flipforfate.com/downloads/SokoBanana-ByteOff2019.NES

How to play
Buttons
[+] Control pad - Move the player
[A] button - Push a crate in the direction the player is facing
[SELECT] button - Restart the level

The main goal is to move all the banana crates out of the warehouse. This finishes the level.

There are also stray bananas laying around, presenting an extra challenge. These can be picked up by simply walking on them, but beware: if a crate hits them they will get squashed!

If you find yourself stuck, you can restart the level by pressing the [SELECT] button. This will reset all progress for the current level.

Credits
Code & Art: Marcus Pettersson (marp)
Music & Sound: Stefan Kratz (unoscop)

dale_coop

Staff member
Holy S***! It's beautifull! Congrats, marp!
How did you do the pushing system? Ae they monsters? special objects? Tiles?
Would really like to see a tutorial about this <3

marp

Thank you so much! ^_^

They are monsters correct, in combination with a tile type. So the push is actually a modified melee weapon from the adventure module. I had to do some rewrite to the physics engine too, to make the crates stop at pixel perfect tiles. The tiles under the crates are changing when they hit something so the engine doesn't have to do object to object collision all the time (that slowed down the game sooo much). I surely have to do a tutorial on this in the near future to give back to all the help I've gotten reading the forums, learning asm and Nes Maker.

Bucket Mouse

marp said:
Thank you so much! ^_^

They are monsters correct, in combination with a tile type. So the push is actually a modified melee weapon from the adventure module. I had to do some rewrite to the physics engine too, to make the crates stop at pixel perfect tiles. The tiles under the crates are changing when they hit something so the engine doesn't have to do object to object collision all the time (that slowed down the game sooo much). I surely have to do a tutorial on this in the near future to give back to all the help I've gotten reading the forums, learning asm and Nes Maker.
That would be really interesting. Block pushing is the one thing that's stumped everybody (except you!)

dale_coop

Staff member
marp said:
They are monsters correct, in combination with a tile type. So the push is actually a modified melee weapon from the adventure module. I had to do some rewrite to the physics engine too, to make the crates stop at pixel perfect tiles. The tiles under the crates are changing when they hit something so the engine doesn't have to do object to object collision all the time (that slowed down the game sooo much).

Good idea... smart!

marp said:
I surely have to do a tutorial on this in the near future to give back to all the help I've gotten reading the forums, learning asm and Nes Maker.

Would be very nice, thanks in advance <3

SerafukuSoftware

I'm in absoloute awe with your game, Marp! This looks and controls amazing, and it's hella addicting to play.
Defs a huge fan of your graphical style, especially the fluid animations of your lil Monkey. The attention to detail is very good, like the Bananas getting squished by the crates, and them making a little bounce animation when they're out of the warehouse. xD Small things like that being done on the NES I can't help but find very cool. I love the music too, it's upbeat and catchy and suits the game very well.

Fantastic work, Marp! :D I wish you the best with the compeititon! If you plan on making some tutorials I'd love to check them out.

wallmasterr

This looks soo cute and the puzzles show promise. I like it that it feels like a nes game in that you dono what the objective is in the first place but you try things then u get rewarded. I assume thers only 4 levels or it glitched?

drexegar

Oh man, I just beat this game, it so fun, relaxing, the music really hits me in the gut! It so good, great job! Graphics with the reflections, shiny boxes when landing and the bananas are perfect.

marp

wallmasterr said:
This looks soo cute and the puzzles show promise. I like it that it feels like a nes game in that you dono what the objective is in the first place but you try things then u get rewarded. I assume thers only 4 levels or it glitched?

Thank you! It's only 4 levels in the demo sadly, but the work continues of course and will release a lot more in the coming months with a lot less bugs to (I hope). =)

marp

SuperNatetendo said:
This game is fantastic. So short though!!! I want more!

Thank you! More are on the way. =)

XenoCreeps looks great too, I haven't had time to play anything for a couple of days, but it's downloaded to my NES Classics.

Chasersgaming

Absolutely stunning mate. very well done. In today's market this would stand out with all the other puzzlers available on the App stores. Those not knowing that this was actually built for a system from 30+ years ago would be gob smacked i reckon. What a great presentation for not only NESmaker, but the NES itself. :) Look forward to the progress you make. +1 sale.

Top Bottom