A Byte-Off of Witch City

jorotroid

bIU2GE2.png

What a month! It was intense to the last second. Even had an error zipping up the project at the last minute, but it still gave me a zip. I only took the time to check to see if the .nes file was there before emailing it (wow that took like a whole another year to upload). I was actually shaking a bit after and maybe before clicking send. I went straight to bed afterwards—I probably got more sleep during my last quarter of college than I did this past week. Now that its morning, I'v taken a closer look at the zip and fortunately it was only the screenshots folder that didn't make it along for the ride.

y5oZfPZ.png

As some of you know, I spent perhaps too much time during competition trying to create a dedicated scrolling core built off of the basic core in 4.1. It lured me with its siren's song, always assuring me that it was almost finished. I "finished" it about a week before the deadline then scrambled to re-implement Witch City into 4.1. To be honest, I'm not exactly proud of what I managed to get done. It's mostly the same as where the demo I made back in November was except now it has scrolling and a ton more bugs. I'm just now noticing that there as some areas that I didn't set the tile collisions properly so it possible to get to some areas of the game and then have no way back (unless your really determined). If you are using Mesen to play these games, I highly recommend setting up a rewind hotkey in case you find yourself in a jam. I also wasn't able to reimplement the text boxes that come up to say what item you just got was, so like in the old days, please refer to the manual. You should also check out the manual because I had a friend of my organize it all together and write up story and other information based on my madman ramblings about what this game is going to be about. I may be disappointing with the quality of the demo, but I stand by that manual and the direction it is going in. The manual is probably the real submission here.

ns1YPle.png

Gf0Sp8x.png

Ok, that's probably enough of throwing my own submission under the bus. Now to talk about the some good things. I added a new tileset that. It still needing some refinements, but I'm happy with the way it's going. Also added a new song. It's intended for a different area, but I put it with the new tiles for now so it would be in the game. I made some changes to how the back-forward dash works. Instead of being activated by holding B and pressing to the side, now Hold Up and Press A to Backflip, and Hold Down and Press A to forward flip (Note: if you spam this, you will probably break the scrolling). The scrolling works mostly pretty good now, though there are still some things I need to figure out about how to handle monsters that go off screen. I also have a lot of other stuff started that didn't quite make it into the Byte-Off demo, but I am really excited to fully implement them as I continue the development of Witch City. These things include an intro cutscene and a additional ability that I think will be a lot of fun. I hope to update you soon on these things in my main thread.

0xrN3OP.png

9nR7lWH.png

tjCIpni.png

Lastly here is the link to the zip. I may not be happy with the demo, but this is my submission. After you've made your audience choice, if you haven't played the previous demo and what you play here intrigues you, please check out my WIP thread (page 5) in the WIP section. The content is nearly the same, but I feel it offers a more "complete" experience.

Again, don't forget to read the manual: the actual Witch City Byte-Off submission.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CrioseIdQSo74MoF1zD6tyWqA0BNunlW

Thanks everyone for your continued support. I look forward to playing everyone's games!

Here is a link to the main Witch City thread and previous demo:
http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=621&start=40#p8088

Sorry for the long post. I guess I needed to debrief a little.

Mugi

now THIS i have been waiting for. I was already getting worried when i didnt see the game on the list when i went to sleep and i thought you gave up submitting it x.x
i have a real love/hate relationship to this project as it basically sits there being everything i wanted from my game, except done better lol.

Bucket Mouse

Was I supposed to be able to get into this area? There are no monsters or pickups to speak of, and once you drop down to this point there's no way back up.

WitchCity-0.png

jorotroid

Mugi said:
now THIS i have been waiting for. I was already getting worried when i didnt see the game on the list when i went to sleep and i thought you gave up submitting it x.x
i have a real love/hate relationship to this project as it basically sits there being everything i wanted from my game, except done better lol.

Haha, thanks. Yeah, i really cut it close. I don't know about everything done better, except maybe I bet my bugs are way better that your bugs. I've got a ton of slow down when shooting boomerangs. Crazy behaviours when monsters go off screen. Wall jumps with sometimes random velocities. And areas where I forgot to draw the proper collision values even though I was the one who suggested adding that collision overlay in the screen editor. My bugs will fight your bugs.

digit2600 said:
This looks freaking dope... fuck it.. I quit lol...
Haha. Thanks.

dale_coop said:
Glad to be able to go back to Witch City! Loren that game...
<3
Welcome back to Witch City!

Bucket Mouse said:
Was I supposed to be able to get into this area? There are no monsters or pickups to speak of, and once you drop down to this point there's no way back up.
Yes, but I accidentally forgot to clean up the collision data on those screens, so for this demo you are stuck there. Sorry. It would be an easy fix, but because this is what i submitted for the competition, I feel it wouldn't be appropriate to give a cleaned up version to everyone on the forums. It'll be fixed the next time i release a demo for the game. In the mean time recommend using mesen's rewind feature while playing my demo if you get stuck some how. Or if you haven't played the previous demo and what you have seen here intrigued you, then please check out the previous demo. Content-wise it's pretty similar, but it offers a more stable experience. But if you vote for the community choice award, evaluate Witch City based on this submission in this thread, bugs and all.

Mugi

jorotroid said:
Haha, thanks. Yeah, i really cut it close. I don't know about everything done better, except maybe I bet my bugs are way better that your bugs. I've got a ton of slow down when shooting boomerangs. Crazy behaviours when monsters go off screen. Wall jumps with sometimes random velocities. And areas where I forgot to draw the proper collision values even though I was the one who suggested adding that collision overlay in the screen editor. My bugs will fight your bugs.

man I dont know... Did you see Kasumi tear my demo apart right after i was so proud of getting it to be "bug free" xD
I have to agree with you though, I actually went back and played the non-scrolling demo of Witch City after the compo entry demo, and I have to say you did manage to introduce some things previously not present.
All I can really say to that is that I definitely feel you. Dealing with getting the scroll to run introduced a wide array of things that had to be fixed in DS too. And instead of actually solving some of them, *cough* I just set monster edge reaction to
destroyMe in order to avoide them uncontrollably multiplying because of back and forth scroll... there's still work to do for both of us im sure.

regardless, i really enjoyed seeing all the material you made for the game, and the new areas in the game. bug fixing is just a matter of time :p

jorotroid

Mugi said:
man I dont know... Did you see Kasumi tear my demo apart right after i was so proud of getting it to be "bug free" xD
I have to agree with you though, I actually went back and played the non-scrolling demo of Witch City after the compo entry demo, and I have to say you did manage to introduce some things previously not present.
All I can really say to that is that I definitely feel you. Dealing with getting the scroll to run introduced a wide array of things that had to be fixed in DS too. And instead of actually solving some of them, *cough* I just set monster edge reaction to
destroyMe in order to avoide them uncontrollably multiplying because of back and forth scroll... there's still work to do for both of us im sure.

regardless, i really enjoyed seeing all the material you made for the game, and the new areas in the game. bug fixing is just a matter of time :p

Haha, Kasumi tore apart my first demo, too.
Yeah, I briefly loaded up your game because was super curious to see how you handled scrolling. But then I quickly realized that I needed to stay focused on Witch City with the deadline looming. I hope to give your game a proper playthrough soon. It's definitely the game I'm looking forward to trying out the most. I was going to do it today, but then I fell asleep right after getting home from work (I'm still technically asleep, just sleep posting).

Anyway, I did notice that you set enemies to be destroyed. If I wasn't planning on releasing my core for everyone, I probably would have done the same. The screen edge stuff is probably going to be a long term challenge to get it right. It works fine for static objects like the power up items, but monsters can be so unpredictable. I need to replay more NES games and see if I can deduce what they did.

Mugi

jorotroid said:
Anyway, I did notice that you set enemies to be destroyed. If I wasn't planning on releasing my core for everyone, I probably would have done the same. The screen edge stuff is probably going to be a long term challenge to get it right. It works fine for static objects like the power up items, but monsters can be so unpredictable. I need to replay more NES games and see if I can deduce what they did.

yeah, My codebase is starting to work from the most part, as i feel yours does too as far as the scroll goes atleast, but the edge stuff is that one unsolved piece in my current engine too, I had to resort to destroyMe edge reaction for the demo
since we just ran out of time to put into it (the problem with this is that you can now abuse it to despawn moving enemies.) In my case, if the behavior was set to screen extend, it started dublicating static objects when scroll was going back and forth (i have the eye monsters on the walls that spawned on top of eachother when they exited the screen, but not the scroll buffer) which i suspect might actually be a cause of slowdown in your current demo too. Or even if not, I suggest you pay attention to that if your code even remotely resembles the original that was/is present.

also, thanks for the compliment ! ^^;
hope you like the little i had time to put together as far as gameplay goes.

wallmasterr

This looks realy nice. Reminds me a lot of batman. Controls feel a bit sticky at times though, like after punching , thers a delay, might be intentional but feels too long, and when your jumping up to another screen it would be nice to hand a platform to land on as i keep falling back to the previous screen and dieing on enemies. Sorry for negative feedback but think its coz this games looks so professional that little things like this feel out of palce in an otherwise very polished game.

jorotroid

wallmasterr said:
This looks realy nice. Reminds me a lot of batman. Controls feel a bit sticky at times though, like after punching , thers a delay, might be intentional but feels too long, and when your jumping up to another screen it would be nice to hand a platform to land on as i keep falling back to the previous screen and dieing on enemies. Sorry for negative feedback but think its coz this games looks so professional that little things like this feel out of palce in an otherwise very polished game.

Thanks for the feedback. It's no problem, I know that this version is extremely unpolished. I was working on it till the last second, and didn't have the time to address most issues, so I accept any criticisms coming. I hope to put out a much more cleaned up version once the competition is over.

Top Bottom