Artix: Knight of the Living Dead (Byte-Off 2019 Demo)

Artix

Artix: Knight of the Living Dead

Greetings and salutations NES Makers!
Loving all of your amazing submissions. Here is my game demo of "Artix" for the ByteOff 2019 competition to try out. The 8-bit sound track by Jongaar is in there too. In the art folder you will find some art-process pictures of how Clarion (aka Loomin) who did the pixel art and I worked together.
http://www.artix.com/downloads/nes/artix.zip

game-9.png

STORY
You are Artix, the pun slinging, axe wielding, Paladin in training. You have been sent to to investigate a strange necropolis. It is rumored that a DoomKnight is raising an army of the Dead there.

game-4.png

ABOUT THE GAME (ZELDAVANIA?)
I wanted to create a true 8-bit NES game in the style of my 2D web-based game, AdventureQuest Worlds. Like that game, Artix only attacks left and right-- but he can still move in all directions giving freedom of exploration. For this contest I focused on more interesting encounters over a smaller number of rooms. You should be able to beat it in a short sitting of 10 to 15 minutes.

game-21.png

animated_dragon.gif

HOW TO PLAY
MOVE - Use your joypad to move.
B BUTTON - Attack with Battleaxe
A BUTTON - Once found, this will summon the undead slaying Pomeranian, Daimyo.

game-7.png

KNOWN BUGS
  • Red Dragon does not completely disappear when defeated
  • Sometimes Shadowbeast runs into a wall and gets stuck
  • Zorbak's dialog which turns night into day randoly misfires
  • It looks like you are throwing Daimyo (sorry puppy!)
  • Attacking too fast causes the weapon to move strangely
  • Do not move during dialogs-- this causes the warp to next screen not to work O_O

game-15.png

Lots of different monsters.

game-6.png

MOST FULFILLING WEEKEND OF THE YEAR
I got up Saturday morning at 6am to run my first ever 10K race. Ran the whole thing-- came in first for my age group. Upon coming home, I immediately dove back into my NES Video Game project to make the deadline. 32 hours later, I was still awake in front of my computer working on the game. (12:35PM on Sunday) Cannot remember the last time I was so excited about something that I pulled a legit all nighter. (I imagine I was not the only one) Very grateful to have had this experience and hope everyone did well on their projects. Playing my final game with my children and the children of my friends has been one of the most rewarding experiences ever.

game-18.png

SPECIAL THANKS

I would like to do a HUGE shout out to the amazing NES Maker communiny and especially the following individuals who went above and beyond. Thank you to....

Dieting Hippo // for staying up with us till 4:30 in the morning the first weekend we worked on this project to get the axe to swing using ASM.

Dale_Coop // for all of your amazing code instructions on the forums-- custom weapon & text boxes & warp from text.

Redherring32 // on the NES Maker Community Discord for helping me find the community, and being an amazing guide and guardian of the people who share our passion for NESMaker. Also, thanks for the endless tips and tricks when I got stuck.

Cargo // on Discord for helping me solve my critical issue with block unlocks not working.

ChroniclerOfLegends // For working with me way longer than he should have on a text box issue I was trying to figure out.

Cross Cutter // for all of his awesome forum posts and for replying to every message. He is one of the communities undisputed super stars.

game-24.png

Sincere graditude to Joe, Josh, and Austin for creating and continuing to develop NESMaker. Love this project, love this community, and love atmosphere of creating, building, and experimenting. Thank you all again.

Battle on!
Adam (Artix)

Instagram: @Artix
Twitter: @ArtixKrieger
Facebook: Facebook.com/ArtixKrieger

This game is looking great!
I'm glad to see that you got your demo done in time.
I'll make sure to try your game and let ya know what I think.
Good luck in the competition.

drexegar

lol I never get tired of chopping the axe, I would like a nicer looking animation, but its does feel great to wacky away on bad guys! Awesome Stuff!

Very cool game. I love the sprites and their animations. That massive battle axe makes me feel like a bad ass.

Here's a video of my first playthrough:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/398087783

MrElephant

This is definitely one of the most impressive games on this forum. Btw I used to play aqworlds. Still get back on occasionally. It is a very good game.

dale_coop

Staff member
Played and finished today. Very great graphics! the story is great too. The gampley is nice, I had fun...
I see some stufs that could be improved (the weapon, some monsters, some npc/triggered tiles,... the engine is the problem) but overall it's a great demo. Loved it!

Top Bottom