Twilight of Powers [2019 BYTE-OFF Demo]

Rancor

Hey all.

unknown.png

Submitted this for the byte-off. Not nearly complete a game, but it's something. Take a gander!
I know for a fact that there are quite a few bugs that exist. I need to fix some stuff with death animations, taking damage (both recoil and other oddities), boss kills, all kinds of stuff. This is really just a very small snippet and a baby step towards what will someday be a larger project with probably a lot more nuance to it. After this competition, I might leave it on the backburner while I cut my teeth on a smaller project (maybe a simple puzzle game?).

The story is based on the myth of Ragnarok (i.e The Twilight of The Powers/Gods). The first level has the player escaping a cave, and this would eventually lead to a voyage towards high mountains where the hero attempts to prove his worth to the gods before the end of the age is complete. Right now the enemies are small, but I'm hoping once I learn more ways to cut corners and master the NES limitations I can have you fighting large, powerful, background layer-sized titans and the like. For now, you will attempt find your way to (and slay) a dwarf that guards the exit to the cave you find yourself in. Getting to him may take a couple tries, but he's a bit of a pushover once you find him.

A is jump, B is stab. D-Pad Gets you around (Right/Left on foot, Up/Down on ladders)
Unfortunately, crouch-attacks are not implemented yet, so the really small guys (sludge) will have to be stabbed in the air while they fall for now. Ducking is basically just a vanity thing for now (just feels right to be able to do it, doesn't actually do anything nor is it needed.)

Hope you guys enjoy.

Says the board attachment quota has been reached, so if my attachment doesn't go through you can just get the .nes file right here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/531240257509654538/554377810651774994/Twilight_of_Powers_Demo_2019_BYTE_OFF.NES

This is a cool game, it's dark, yet funky. I love the creature designs.

Here is some video of my first experience with the game. My mic wasn't set up correctly and it cuts out regularly, making the commentary pretty useless and annoying, so sorry about that.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/397570634

dale_coop

Staff member
Beautiful game, quite difficult (mainly because of the gameplay).
Want to play more!
Great demo, congrats

Rancor

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you guys sooner - this means a lot to me, but other life stuff has been getting in the way as of late.

Anyways, I'll be sure to keep the criticisms in mind, and hopefully with a little bit of elbow grease and ASM I can bring this project into a brighter future ...at a later date (still busying myself!).

"Dark, yet funky." I'll see if I can capitalize on that blend for future releases hahaha. One thing I'm very concerned with is how the game looks and feels, so I appreciate your comment on the matter.

The difficulty for the moment I think stems from an incomplete combat system (STILL need to implement crouch-attacks. Been on my list for-freaking-ever), plus the enemy placement is a little haphazard and not quite user-friendly. I'm glad you guys had fun and took the time to test it out, and after seeing other people play it and provide their feedback, I think I'll be making some changes to how the player can move and interact with the environment. It does appear to me quite clearly that I tested this game way too much on my own, so the art of stabbing deadly sludge mid-air is somewhat of an achievement for others (not my intention!), also the platforming appears to be a little too demanding when the ghouls/sludge get mixed in. I'll probably make the jump ever so slightly longer/higher because of this - hopefully still keeping things feeling responsive and streamlined. If not, I might opt to just make the bounding boxes for enemies slightly shorter.

If there are any other gripes or lingering thoughts about the demo, please let me know! I'd hate for this game to be less than it could be because somebody thought they might offend me with their comments.

I've been tossing around ideas for a hook, and I'm sure I'll settle on something enticing enough in the future. Going to try my best not to clone an already-existing game.

Well, I guess the big takeaway for all this is:
The End has only begun.

Top Bottom