PressStart Game

dale_coop

Staff member
I think I will not add any more levels to my "PressStart" prototype/demo (next time it maybe a real game, from the ashes of this one).
So I could say it IS "finished".

In this demo, you play a space Adventurer... on your way to the peaceful Green planet, you've been abducted by a space ship. An ancient alien civilization who reappeared to colonize the universe. You need to find your way out.

Press_Start_Game_Start_Screen.png
Press_Start_Game.png

It's a small demo with minimalist designs... So you need some imagination to immerse yourself ;)

The NES rom file can be downloaded here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VNXbPdlqQxPf0-STbzGAcJFDhUB-otgp

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you, tornotlukin. From you, it means a lot (love your work on SeaFoodAndButter 's project)

WolfMerrik

I remember seeing this on the release day video and thinking it looked cool. IT was awesome to actually play it!
It felt like an Atari 2600 game, and was really well done! I would actually like to see this finished, and maybe even a sequel to this game.

I speedrun NES games as a hobby, and I might actually route this game if you do decide to make this a final release of this =)

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you WolfMerrik, my main inspirations are Atari2600 that I love for sure! Grew up with it.
Adventure in a more fantasy/sci-fi universe...
(and games like AnotherWorld, Zelda BreathOftheWild’s sanctuaries, for the ambiance...)

A sequel might come... ;)

WolfMerrik

It definitely shows that is your inspiration in this.
Even if you do just make a version of this you would consider "Finished" I would totally submit it as a game on speedrun.com after routing it and running it. Its the type of game that begs to be beaten quickly haha.
Again, Great work.

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you.
It’s a small prototype (made with the beta), like a introduction... to a future game (maybe) ;)

dale_coop

Staff member
I made another small demo, some weeks ago, for the Adventure challenges: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=639
So I add this here, since it's kinda related to this game... Here the NES rom file :

Attachments

• PressStart.Again.(NESMaker.4.0.11.AdventureModule.Challenge).zip
    22.3 KB · Views: 189

August Renders

It's a very simplistic idea, but as a critic, I should point out that this demo
has a large amount of problems.

Your player character moves too fast, making it difficult to line yourself
up with the enemies or evade obstacles. To make things worse, the recharge
stations are frustrating to traverse back to when you run out of ammo. The
red "bushes," if you could call them that, cause instant death. And once you
die, you have to start the level all over again. There are no checkpoints! What's
even worse is that the interface doesn't show how many lives you have. I died
on level two, and was sent back to the title screen, much to my frustration.

Once you unlock certain gates after defeating enemies, they don't remain
permanently open. If this is a technical thing, please at least provide the
player with some way back to the ammo recharge, or give them a checkpoint
with an ammo recharge nearby.

There's an annoying, repetitive sound playing in the background. Is that even
supposed to be music?!

Lastly, I found one glitch in which the screen flickered between areas, and I
ended up in a screen containing only ones and zeroes.

As a whole, this game's concept is simplistic, but it was poorly executed.
(One thing that it did do right, however, was to introduce new obstacles
as the player progresses. Specifically, laser walls.)

Final Score: 2/10

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank for playing the game.
I agree with a lof of your feedbacks.
About the speed... I am french, and play my game son a PAL console... the game is running slower here.
At that time, I didn't even know how I could adapt/change that for the NTSC players, as my primary goal was to make a game for myself and was blown away when I could run it on my own console ! it was the first time.

When trying out the demos, I suggest you consider the context of the game's creation.
This one was made in 2018 with the nesmaker beta, which really contained very little. Lots of bugs in the maker, the engine... And of course, at that time, we all started to play with this new tool.

Top Bottom