[ByteOff 2020] Paws & Play

Lother

Here's my concept for the entry I want to do for the ByteOff 2020 (Theme: Timeless).

Paws & Play

It will be a room-by-room puzzle-platformer where you play as a cat robot which has the power to stop time for a moment in order to traverse differnts rooms filled with dangers. Some objects will not be affected by the time stop.

No lives, no time limit.

Still hesitant on the type of background, though.

Lother

pawsba10.jpg

I think I will go for a 80s' synthwave aesthetic.

mouse spirit

I love the 80s grid, i thought about using it myself once or twice. This one looks great.
Not too sure if it will fit the game you describe totally, not that it couldnt.
But sounds like a cool project like totally like fersure.

Lother

Ok , so I've reflected a bit on the gameplay:

When times moves, your character cannot move. When time is stopped, your character can move. And all the puzzles will revolve around that.

mouse spirit

Very interesting,i for one like it.Maybe also an inbetween. Super fast things slow down but slow things speed up.
I was trying to wrap my head around a reverse time. If the monsters had a set pattern,or routine, you could just run that pattern in reverse.
Just ideas. I love it so far.
Sorry, last idea, i bet some of those gridlines could move with palette swapping.And when time stops palette swapping could stop or something like that.
To give a real visual of stopping or slowing time.

Lother

The palette swapping is a good idea. But maybe I could replace that with a tileset swap instead.

Since I will not introduce tons of new graphical elements in it.

Edit: Nevermind, I will go with palette swapping

AllDarnDavey

Lother said:
Ok , so I've reflected a bit on the gameplay:

When times moves, your character cannot move. When time is stopped, your character can move. And all the puzzles will revolve around that.

Nice. You might already know this, but there's a forum thread here dealing with freezing and stopping animation of objects:
http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5624

Bucket Mouse was doing it to freeze sprite objects in place when a text box appears, but you could probably rework it a bit, and add a player check to alternate freezing / unfreezing enemies and the player.

marp

Great idea, great looking! =)

A visual representation of time slowing to stop like the one mouse spirit suggest would be great... not making you guess what "mode" you're in on screens with not many objects. Would be great if it wasn't instant, but had a slow down face. Sounds a little tricky to make though. Really looking forward to your progress. Stay Retro!

Top Bottom