Hey from England!!

giles2005

Hey everyone,
Recently purchased nesmaker after playing with a few different game making programs.
I love the old style point and click adventure games and have always wanted to make my own 8bit style game.
Iv started working through the tutorials hope once Iv mastered them I can start planning my own game.
Do you think it would be possible to implement a game like Maniac Mansion in nesmaker?

NeoBenj

Hello Giles! And welcome!

You are right to start with as many tutorial as possible. Nes is a limited machine and Nesmaker has also its own limitation.
Try to test of different modules first. A maniac mansion game... Hum... it is kind of difficult if you want to make and AI move at your cursor direction.
Basically it's replacing character with a cursor, and by interaction with certain tiles, you ask the AI to move.
It is indeed very exotic with the current starter modules (especially eveything related to text will be difficult to implement.

But a nes version is coming in the following weeks allowing way more function.
So it might me possible.... but well.... maybe not the easiest choice for a first game. ;)

giles2005

I will most likely play with all the modules and work out what is possible by the time Iv done that hopefully nesmaker will have away of implementing by then.
If not Iv got a few different ideas for games hopefully I can make one work.

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Giles
Glad you joined us!
NESmaker can help you to make your games, it proposes some basic modules that can use for a quick start... but yeah for Maniac Mansion style game you’ll have to dig into the code and add a lot of specific code.
It’s doable, look for example what did Tornotlukin, for his game
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2031

giles2005

Thanks for the reply I'm glad it's possible think I will start off with making a simpler game that doesn't involve code and work my way up to the more advanced aspects.
I ll have a read through that topic see if makes sense to me.
Cheers again

Top Bottom